Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3G pitches at different levels of the game

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
How come 3G pitches are permitted in World Cup qualifiers, in the FA Cup, and- I think- for Champions League games (pretty sure some Russian teams have them), but not in the Football League?

Not suggesting we'd want a load of 3G surfaces in the Premier League, but if such pitches are deemed good enough for international football, why not for League Two?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
No idea of the answer to your question but you are right, they are definitely allowed in the Champions League.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
Can't see why they are allowed. I appreciate that the surfaces are so much better these days but it's still a bit odd.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Is the Lithuanian pitch not 4G? I have no idea what the difference is though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
How come 3G pitches are permitted in World Cup qualifiers, in the FA Cup, and- I think- for Champions League games (pretty sure some Russian teams have them), but not in the Football League?

Not suggesting we'd want a load of 3G surfaces in the Premier League, but if such pitches are deemed good enough for international football, why not for League Two?

The clubs voted against it I thought?

Think the football league are fine with it.....

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

For L2, probably the cost!

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Can't see why they are allowed. I appreciate that the surfaces are so much better these days but it's still a bit odd.

Yeah, they're leagues above the old Astroturf ones that Preston, Oldham, Luton & QPR had, which were about the same standard as your local leisure centre five a side pitches :)

Clubs like Maidstone in the National League have them, but would have to rip the pitch up and replace it with grass if they were ever to win promotion to the Football League as things stand.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Maybe if Worthing get their 3G pitch sorted out we can look forward to some international qualifiers at Woodside Road :jester: ��

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Doubt it. The pitch could be used a lot more and the club could get some rental income hence why non league clubs are going down that route.

Indeed. Someone like Newport County have terrible problems with their surface so it could be a money spinner for them. Then again they play rugby on that one too. Clearly you can play egg-chasing on 3G surfaces as I believe Saracens have such a pitch. But I've no idea if you could have a dual use stadium with a 3G pitch- presumably pitch markings can't just be painted on and off like they are with grass pitches.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Is the Lithuanian pitch not 4G? I have no idea what the difference is though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I believe that 3G is the specification of an artificial pitch, whereas 4G is a brand name.

“You’ll often hear venues offering 4G surfaces (or even 5, 6 , 7G!) which they define as artificial grass, like 3G, but without the need for the rubber crumbing. While these synthetic grass only pitches do exist, and there is an argument that they are 4G many label the term 4G as a sales technique as they have not yet been officially graded as a new technology. To date 3G pitch are the approved and recognised standard for ATPs.”

The reason they’re not allowed in the top English leagues is down to the FA deciding they don’t want them.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not sure if you're joking? Obviously the discussion is about being allowed to have them, not having to have them.

Yes Trigg, I was joking.
I gather clubs want 3G pitches, mainly because of the cost effectivness of it compared to normal grass one's, especially during the winter months and the possibly of the impact on players joints.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here