Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Second hand / Charity Shops

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
After purchasing a rather nice old item of BHAFC kit for a couple of quid , i have found myself actively going into these shops habitually to see if there’s more bargains to be had , do you buy stuff from these sort of places ? If so what was your best find .

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
After purchasing a rather nice old item of BHAFC kit for a couple of quid , i have found myself actively going into these shops habitually to see if there’s more bargains to be had , do you buy stuff from these sort of places ? If so what was your best find .

I didn't for years until I fell on hard times after divorce and a friend Alison and I used to trawl the second hand women's clothes stores for designer clothes some of which she kept and some she sold to other second hand clothes stores or on ebay.

I got into the spirit of charity stores in 2003. I was doing a carpentry course at Sussex Downs in Eastbourne. Used to get off at Hampden Park and walk to the college. The route took me into Brassey Avenue and a charity store where I found my greatest bargain. I was looking for lingerie for Alison when I looked up and saw a gorgeous redhead with glasses perched on her nose and her hair pinned up. She asked what I was looking for a leading question Tbh. I scuttled away from the women's lingerie and said I was looking for some candelabra etc. She found a couple of candle holders and when paying I said I had the candelabra and the food but no one to share them with at my flat in Poet's Corner. We exchanged numbers and met that night at Eastbourne railway station heading off to Eastbourne seafront for a first date.

We had five good years together.

Oct 25, 2003
best ever find was some vinyl from a place in Selsey. They hadn't quite twigged onto the fact that people are buying vinyl again so I bought about 10 LP's for about a quid

second hand shops in Brighton are generally pretty good, the ones near me in Kemp Town have quite good clothing which I put down to all the fashionable gay blokes

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales

Going by what you wear on match days I think you spend to much time in them :)

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
best ever find was some vinyl from a place in Selsey. They hadn't quite twigged onto the fact that people are buying vinyl again so I bought about 10 LP's for about a quid

second hand shops in Brighton are generally pretty good, the ones near me in Kemp Town have quite good clothing which I put down to all the fashionable gay blokes

On that score Alison and I were planning to go to the charity shops in Sloane Sq but Jennie and I became an item.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I pop into charity shops to buy books for the missus as she is a bit of a book worm. I also drop off unwanted clothes/items in rather than give them to clothes banks.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I didn't for years until I fell on hard times after divorce and a friend Alison and I used to trawl the second hand women's clothes stores for designer clothes some of which she kept and some she sold to other second hand clothes stores or on ebay.

I got into the spirit of charity stores in 2003. I was doing a carpentry course at Sussex Downs in Eastbourne. Used to get off at Hampden Park and walk to the college. The route took me into Brassey Avenue and a charity store where I found my greatest bargain. I was looking for lingerie for Alison when I looked up and saw a gorgeous redhead with glasses perched on her nose and her hair pinned up. She asked what I was looking for a leading question Tbh. I scuttled away from the women's lingerie and said I was looking for some candelabra etc. She found a couple of candle holders and when paying I said I had the candelabra and the food but no one to share them with at my flat in Poet's Corner. We exchanged numbers and met that night at Eastbourne railway station heading off to Eastbourne seafront for a first date.

A heartwarming story at the end (and here's to many more years!) but am I right in saying that you were trying to but second hand underwear? If so thats a bit wrong.

Oct 25, 2003
A heartwarming story at the end (and here's to many more years!) but am I right in saying that you were trying to but second hand underwear? If so thats a bit wrong.

also intrigued as to why he was looking for "lingerie" for a friend

it's a great story and I definitely need to know more....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Aftertiming but wife has recently found me.
An Orlebar Brown blue towelling polo shirt for £3.50. Almost new. retail £95
New pair Carharrt shorts £4.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

Not for me I might add but for Alison to sell. Most of it is unused as charity shops have their standards. You'd be surprised what people give away. For instance Jennie's store wouldn't sell mobile phones and once in a while someone would leave one mixed in with other stuff outside the store. There wasn't much she could do with them so I tidied them up and sold them on with the money going back to the charity.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free

A few weeks ago I donated about 20 x 80s and 90s BHA home progs to Martlet's Hospice shop and similar number of away progs to Oxfam, both on Blatchington Road, Hove. Probably gone by now, but if anyone is interested, have a look.

I like to have a browse in some of these shops from time to time, for curiosity more than anything and to pass the time whilst my wife and daughter shop elsewhere. I've had one or two decent finds, but most of what they sell doesn't interest me (i.e. 207 x random old pieces of glassware, decorative plates or other ceramics from Whitby, Lyme Regis, Tenby, etc...).

I buy books more than any other item.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yes I do, all the time.
I live in a late Victorian early Edwardian house, I go to the larger shops that sell furniture.
You have to go in a lot because if you see an item you want it probably won't be there for long so for every 20 visits I will probably see 1 thing I like.
My latest find was a mahogany dining table with 4 chairs and 2 carvers for £250 in great condition, if I don't need it I sell it on.
I also pick up pine and oak furniture like dressers and kitchen tables etc and do them up with fancy chalk paint.
We have many St Luke's hospice shops down here and they get given some nice stuff from time to time.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Been using them for the last year. Jeans for £4 - what's not to like? Got some really good deals so far. Best probably being good as new Clark's leather soled Oxford shoes for £7.

Got a T-shirt and V-neck sweater last week. Yes gents for the princely sum of £6 you too can look like Pep Guardiola. :lolol:

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I picked up a 1983 Cup Final Programme and Ticket in George Street shop.

Chuffed about that as I attended the match but my original programme and ticket was lost decades ago.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

This post raises a number of questions which need clarifying.
1. What was the exact nature of your relationship with Alison. Romantic, platonic, purely sexual or unrequited?
2. If platonic why were you buying lingerie for her?
3. If romantic or sexual why were you buying second hand lingerie for her?
3. If unrequited did you believe the gift of second hand lingerie was likely to endear you to her in some way?
4. If you had five good years together with the unnamed redhead, on the assumption you are no longer together, how many not so good years did you have together?
5. Did you ever buy the nameless, shortsighted, mystery redhead second hand lingerie and if so was this when your relationship started its steady decline?
6. Would I be correct in assuming you are currently single?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Get most of my books from the BHF charity shop in London Road. Almost always an interesting esoteric selection. Picked up this little beauty of a SOMETHING there for a tenner last year. Frame screams modern IKEA, stamp on the the back says 1993, artwork is timeless. Clearly way too late to be anything to do with either the original album or the original movie. Could be anything really. I just love it, for all sorts of reasons.

14054500_10154066312632763_3883144224437905383_o.jpg

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
This post raises a number of questions which need clarifying.
1. What was the exact nature of your relationship with Alison. Romantic, platonic, purely sexual or unrequited?
2. If platonic why were you buying lingerie for her?
3. If romantic or sexual why were you buying second hand lingerie for her?
3. If unrequited did you believe the gift of second hand lingerie was likely to endear you to her in some way?
4. If you had five good years together with the unnamed redhead, on the assumption you are no longer together, how many not so good years did you have together?
5. Did you ever buy the nameless, shortsighted, mystery redhead second hand lingerie and if so was this when your relationship started its steady decline?
6. Would I be correct in assuming you are currently single?

Jesus Christ! Are you CID? The redhead was Jennie so if you are CID, you're sh*t

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here