Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Bonfire Info please.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Myself, the better half, and a couple of friends are planning on visiting Lewes Bonfire this year. The last time was in 2013 I think.
Although I live in Newmarket now I lived in Brighton from 1981 to 2004 and went to the bonfire celebrations every other year or so.
(I think I remember one society's bonfire being in a slight bowl/dip in the ground and people on one side firing rockets across to the other side of the crowd setting clothing on fire).
Anyhow, even though we've stood at the bottom of Cliffe High Street east of the bridge each year to watch a/the procession I've always wondered whether we've missed a larger procession later on?

We usually get to Cliffe High Street around 5 ish and stay until 7 ish I think. A procession heads past us, over the bridge and up toward the Courts. After this we usually wander around the field near the Land Rover dealership and eventually head home.
Does this procession join up with others coming from the west side of town which then head somewhere else as a longer procession or do they just go out to their own bonfires?
Have we missed out all these years? Do we need to go to near the Courts to see anything else?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm part of commercial society, the fun begins after 7! Get down to landport fire site for the fireworks

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
note no trains stop at Lewes or nearby stations (including London Road and Moulsecoomb bizarly, like they're close) after about midday. cant get into town by car either unless you prove your local address with two utilitiy bills and shoe size, its a town in quarantine. (ive no idea how strict it is really, not been for years, but definatly discourage tourists)

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Best information i can give is don't bother. The authorities are making it as difficult for outsiders to come to Lewes as possible.

If you still decide to come, there will be no trains stopping at Lewes or surrounding stations from midday. Many roads will be closed from noon and you won't be allowed out until 2am (although my folks got out of Landport at 10pm last year)

The first procession usually starts around 7 (i think the kids one is before that) but the main one is usually around 9.30. After that, the various societies head off to their fire sites. As i'm not affiliated to any society, i think the best one by a country mile is the one wrong-direction mentions above...Commercial Square, who's firesite is in Landport (just follow the gold/black striped jumpers)

http://staylocallewes.blogspot.co.uk/

Hope that helps.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Best information i can give is don't bother. The authorities are making it as difficult for outsiders to come to Lewes as possible.

If you still decide to come, there will be no trains stopping at Lewes or surrounding stations from midday. Many roads will be closed from noon and you won't be allowed out until 2am (although my folks got out of Landport at 10pm last year)

The first procession usually starts around 7 (i think the kids one is before that) but the main one is usually around 9.30. After that, the various societies head off to their fire sites. As i'm not affiliated to any society, i think the best one by a country mile is the one wrong-direction mentions above...Commercial Square, who's firesite is in Landport (just follow the gold/black striped jumpers)

http://staylocallewes.blogspot.co.uk/

Hope that helps.

Agree re comm square except even they are charging this year, I believe? So no use just following them.

Can't help think that all these restrictions will gradually kill it off. Particularly as a lot of the people involved can't afford to live in Lewes these days.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I've always stood on the High Street near the law courts. The War Memorial is a favourite place where a lot of stuff goes on including a rendition of the Last Post. You have to stay until 10pm at least to see all the parades before they split off to their individual Society celebrations. It's at this point I go as when there were 80-100k in attendance getting back to Brighton took time. The organisation was very good though and never got stranded.

Not sure of crowd restrictions this year but they've consistently been revised down over the years. It was historically a free for all which was very wild and would love to know record crowd. My guess 120,000+

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Sussex Won’t be Druv
Some folks as come to Sussex,
They reckons as they know -
A durn sight better what to do
Than simple folks, like me and you,
Could possibly suppose.

But them as comes to Sussex,
They mustn't push and shove,
For Sussex will be Sussex,
And Sussex won't be druv!

Mus Wilfred come to Sussex,
Us heaved a stone at he,
Because he reckoned he could teach
Our Sussex fishers how to reach
The fishes in the sea.

But when he dwelt among us,
Us gave un land and luv,
And Sussex won't be druv!

All folks as come to Sussex
Must follow Sussex ways -
And when they've larned to know us well,
There's no place else they'll wish to dwell
In all their blessed days -

There ant no place like Sussex,
Until ye goos above,
And Sussex won't be druv.
W Victor Cook 1914

One of those "you must go to at least once" events although I confess it is probably 20+ years since I last went. Greatest ever rendition of "Sussex by the sea" witnessed there, full on military marching band (Kohima Band?) Full volume well after midnight by the Law Courts!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You are not worthy enough, not from Lewes, are obviously a troublemaker, are too 'urban', not welcome, do not respect local people for local events, drink too much, take drugs and are a sex trade trafficker, looking to launder I'll gotten gains in the craft and coffee shops of local bumpkins, are not 'edumacated or arty' enough for Lewes, have not been a shareholder in Harveys for at least 300 years, you are at the very least a papist if not a practising Catholic, you drive a car, have harassed the Cutress family in their rural idyllic village, and worst of all you just want to have a good time celebrating an Olde English tradition. Be off with you before we tie you to the stake on the ducking stool.

Signed........The Chief Constable of Sussex.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
If you're going to watch & not participate, then the must wear head garment is one of those wacky jester hats. They crack me up, & the people wearing them are just the funniest.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Just go and enjoy. Pubs are for locals only but some serve drinks outside.

pubs are all open these days and let anyone in, last time I went I drank in the Kings Head, the Swan, the Con Club and the Elephant
One year I went to the Elephant at lunchtime on the 6th, bonfire people (Cliffe I think) had been there all night!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
pubs are all open these days and let anyone in, last time I went I drank in the Kings Head, the Swan, the Con Club and the Elephant
One year I went to the Elephant at lunchtime on the 6th, bonfire people (Cliffe I think) had been there all night!

Not sure of pub's name but a couple of years the pub near ESCC HQ was invitation only so didn't bother trying any more pubs. Bought a few cans near station where they have a temp off licence.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Not sure of pub's name but a couple of years the pub near ESCC HQ was invitation only so didn't bother trying any more pubs. Bought a few cans near station where they have a temp off licence.

Yes, the Black Horse used to be invitation only. The guvnors son was left in charge one year, around 96/97 I think. (Vic was ill at the time, for those that remember him). His son refused me entry; I'd brought some mates from the RN along & they thought it was hilarious that I was refused at my "local". Needless to say words were had, pointing out that his old man had been serving me for the last 20 odd years. Still wouldn't let us in. P**k!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Yes, the Black Horse used to be invitation only. The guvnors son was left in charge one year, around 96/97 I think. (Vic was ill at the time, for those that remember him). His son refused me entry; I'd brought some mates from the RN along & they thought it was hilarious that I was refused at my "local". Needless to say words were had, pointing out that his old man had been serving me for the last 20 odd years. Still wouldn't let us in. P**k!

That's harsh mate should've knocked him out - that'll teach the dick.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
Can't see it mentioned in any of the posts, but I believe the celebrations are on Saturday 4th November this year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here