Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Channel 5, live boxing 9:45 tonight

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Boxing has more or less died a death as a mass popular sport ever since it moved to subscription channels and PPV (or even both at once in some cases!) - now the majority of the great British public (including me) has never even heard of most boxers (like the two on Channel 5 tonight).

So, I might tune in if there's nothing more interesting. Mrs. Brown's Boys certainly wouldn't fit that category; 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown is in with a chance though...............

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Boxing has more or less died a death as a mass popular sport ever since it moved to subscription channels and PPV (or even both at once in some cases!) - now the majority of the great British public (including me) has never even heard of most boxers (like the two on Channel 5 tonight).

So, I might tune in if there's nothing more interesting. Mrs. Brown's Boys certainly wouldn't fit that category; 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown is in with a chance though...............

Fraid that sums up my view. I'm listening to Planet Rock sucking on soft bread and drinking water and the odd tea.

Oh for the days of the Middleweights and Supermiddleweights of the 80s and 90s where the tv brought in huge audiences.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fraid that sums up my view. I'm listening to Planet Rock sucking on soft bread and drinking water and the odd tea.

Oh for the days of the Middleweights and Supermiddleweights of the 80s and 90s where the tv brought in huge audiences.
Benn, Eubank, Honeyghan anyone...............................?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Shocking lack of respect for the ten bells silence for Terry Downes - noise (chatter) didn't abate until the 5th. or 6th, and there were still a few low-life turds still chatting away at the end. Oh well, I expect they were important................or thought they were.................

(Yes, I am watching; 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown not on yet)

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Benn, Eubank, Honeyghan anyone...............................?

Exactly.

Sugar Ray Leonard Roberto Duran Hit Man Hearns Johnny Conteh Watson the fireman. Who was the fella who owned the club in Waterloo or Preston St - Linden Club. His son was a Crawley boxer. Spent many a night there.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Shocking lack of respect for the ten bells silence for Terry Downes - noise (chatter) didn't abate until the 5th. or 6th, and there were still a few low-life turds still chatting away at the end. Oh well, I expect they were important................or thought they were.................

(Yes, I am watching; 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown not on yet)

I'm still listening to Planet Rock my Talk Talk is sh12 I'm afraid. Will try BT next.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Exactly.

Sugar Ray Leonard Roberto Duran Hit Man Hearns Johnny Conteh Watson the fireman. Who was the fella who owned the club in Waterloo or Preston St - Linden Club. His son was a Crawley boxer. Spent many a night there.
Alan Minter?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Alan Minter?

Yes just looked it up. Minter fought on TV on 4th November 1980 the day I flew to KSA. Been to Highbury to watch us get beat once again but a great send off from friends starting on train from Brighton. I didn't stop drinking Southern Comfort until I fell into a taxi near Picadilly Circus after collecting my suitcase from a lockup. Got to Ariel Hotel at Heathrow and Minter was fighting that night on TV. I must have watched a round and then passed out in my clothes on the bed. Woke at six to loud banging on door for early morning alarm call. TV was crackling quick shower and onto five years in Saudi and Bahrain.I had a sore head ror the whole flight luckily no booze on Saudi Airlines but 85°c when arrived at 10pm.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I used to go there with Brighton Boys boxers Frank Whelan and Tommy Kiely two good Irish boxers. Frank was from Waterford and my best mate from around 7 years old. He got type two diabetes aged 19 when we were going to the Top Rank Suite. He survived that but almost died. Unfortunfortunately he died 5 or so years ago around 60 years of age. I knew their family well old man John Whelan from Stapley Rd was like a surrogate father.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No idea why Selby sometimes let the guy just punch him like that
In professional boxing terms I think Flores' punches are pretty powder puff. Sure, they'd probably knock you or me into next week, but it's clear that Flores relies on landing a lot of punches; Selby's punches are much sharper, and maybe he feels that he can just shrug off a few punches to demoralise his opponent.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
His Dad did own it, his Dad's name was Sid Minter......back in the 70s I used it all the time with my brother Dave, Friday afternoon / evenings were great times down there!!

I probably met you [MENTION=3649]hitony[/MENTION]. Brighton was full of all day drinking clubs before the drinking laws governing pubs were changed in the eighties. I recall the club near term Clock Tower which Steve Foster had something to do with. He may have owned it. I managed the West End tor a couple of summers when it was called the 273 club. There was also a place we went east of the Pier in a small guesthouse - Marine Parade?

Last edited:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Yes just looked it up. Minter fought on TV on 4th November 1980 the day I flew to KSA. Been to Highbury to watch us get beat once again but a great send off from friends starting on train from Brighton. I didn't stop drinking Southern Comfort until I fell into a taxi near Picadilly Circus after collecting my suitcase from a lockup. Got to Ariel Hotel at Heathrow and Minter was fighting that night on TV. I must have watched a round and then passed out in my clothes on the bed. Woke at six to loud banging on door for early morning alarm call. TV was crackling quick shower and onto five years in Saudi and Bahrain.I had a sore head ror the whole flight luckily no booze on Saudi Airlines but 85°f when arrived at 10pm.

Corrected.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just kind of skimmed but read this thread. Talking about the greats of British boxing in our era, Eubank, Watson, Benn and before, Honeyghan and Minter, all showcased for free on ITV. The NI boy, I love my manager Barney something or other, McGuigan that was the bloke, Jim Watts, even Bruno was fun to watch. Those golden era days of watching British boxing at the top level have gone forever sadly. When you have to watch some bloke that never fought before against the other bloke (a yank) who came out of retirement on pay per view only, you know the sport is f'ucked.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I probably met you [MENTION=3649]hitony[/MENTION]. Brighton was full of all day drinking clubs before the drinking laws governing pubs were changed in the eighties. I recall the club near term Clock Tower which Steve Foster had something to do with. He may have owned it. I managed the West End tor a couple of summers when it was called the 273 club. There was also a place we went east of the Pier in a small guesthouse - Marine Parade?

I would think we possibly did meet back in the day! looking at some of your posts and profile I would say we are around the same age...(37? hahaha I wished :) ) can't say I recall the West End / 273 club though?? I was around Brighton from the late 60s to the late 70s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here