Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South America WC Qualifying

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
One game left, bloody hell it's tight.

Team that finishes in fifth place will play New Zealand in a play-off.

2ahgtow.png

Final round of fixtures:

2d9b7eh.png

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That's a shame about Argentina. Playing Ecuador at altitude is never easy either in their next game.

Yoda

English & European
One of the many flaws in WC qualifying is the 5th place team gets a second chance

I've never fully understood how the smallest pool of nations can end up having a 50% representation at the finals.

I know it's to do with co-efficiency rankings etc, but with the amount of games they have to play in qualifying alone always puts them at an advantage.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
One of the only people I actually like on TS, Tim Vickery is a very informative and intelligent football gent.
This piece for ESPN is quite an interesting read.

Tim Vickery

Oct 25, 2003
south american qualifying does always look brilliant though- ultra competitive, big rivalries, temperamental players, raucous fans- it's got the lot

would love to see Peru qualify as they have a great kit

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Two things stand out from that table:
1) Ecuador have completely blown what was obviously a position where they had all but qualified.
2) Peru v Colombia looks like it will be incredible. Both teams have to play to win because if there isn't a winner then there is a good chance they'll both miss out.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Far tougher then England,France Spain etc who are almost guarenteed to go through

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I've never fully understood how the smallest pool of nations can end up having a 50% representation at the finals.

I know it's to do with co-efficiency rankings etc, but with the amount of games they have to play in qualifying alone always puts them at an advantage.

60 percent at the last World Cup.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

There's some fantastic footballing nations in South America, more than the 5 that qualify. I have no love for any of them but you can't deny their quality.

Quite different to Europe where decent nations just walk in, as well as some not so decent ones and a few utterly shithouse ones.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
Two things stand out from that table:
1) Ecuador have completely blown what was obviously a position where they had all but qualified.
2) Peru v Colombia looks like it will be incredible. Both teams have to play to win because if there isn't a winner then there is a good chance they'll both miss out.

As long as Peru don't suddenly and strangely implode allowing the Argentinians a free run.....

Mind you, that has never happened before. That 6-0 victory was a proper reflection of Peru's inability.......

:whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here