Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How agonising/heroic will Scotland's failure to reach the World Cup be?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm going for a braveheart victory v Slovakia tonight, then winning in Slovenia only for a last minute equaliser to cruelly deny them a place in Russia as Slovaks beat Malta 1-0.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Two epic wins to sneak second place, before losing their play-off against Andorra.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Looking forward to this. International Monkey Tennis.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
About the same as Englands at the finals as they fail miserably to get out of their group

Arguably it's almost better not to get there in the first place.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
1-1 after a last minute Slovakia goal tonight - either off side/handball/dodgy pen - combination of all three.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
About the same as Englands at the finals as they fail miserably to get out of their group

Arguably it's almost better not to get there in the first place.
Nah. Scotland's ability to never manage to qualify (especially when most, or even ALL the other British/Irish teams do) is another level of shitness and comedy.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It will end tonight in defeat. And that's from a Scotsman.

Slovakia are a better side. If they win I will be pleased but I just don't see it

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nah. Scotland's ability to never manage to qualify (especially when most, or even ALL the other British/Irish teams do) is another level of shitness and comedy.
To be fair, the draw often seems to do them no favours - they nearly always (though not this time, admittedly) end up having to play all the Faroe Islands at once.................

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Yeah but the world's not watching unlike at the finals where we have embarrassed ourselves regularly at European and World Cups recently. Much better to fly under the radar if you're going to **** up when you get in with the big boys. Well imo anyway, I appreciate that younger viewers still live in hope of us actually performing in the finals, they'll eventually learn :lolol::

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yeah but the world's not watching unlike at the finals where we have embarrassed ourselves regularly at European and World Cups recently. Much better to fly under the radar if you're going to **** up when you get in with the big boys. Well imo anyway, I appreciate that younger viewers still live in hope of us actually performing in the finals, they'll eventually learn [emoji38]ol::
I like it. Scotland don't want to embarrass themselves by losing to Argentina, Portugal, Germany or Brazil so they prefer to go out beforehand to save face.

[emoji23]

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I like it. Scotland don't want to embarrass themselves by losing to Argentina, Portugal, Germany or Brazil so they prefer to go out beforehand to save face.

[emoji23]

Hmm, I take your point much better to go out gloriosly as we did at

2014 World Cup

England fail to qualify against Costa Rica, Italy and Uruguay

2016 Euros

England fail to qualify from a group of Wales, Slovakia and Iceland

No other countries laughed they all sat back and admired our quality in failure. But obviously they all pissed themselves at Scotlands failure to even qualify.

The days when we could laugh at Scotland are long gone imo, we are nearly as shit.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

2014 World Cup

2016 Euros

No other countries laughed they all sat back and admired our quality in failure. But obviously they all pissed themselves at Sciotalnds failure to even qualify.

The days when we could laugh at Scotland are long gone imo

Can't agree with any of that. It's MILES better to be there, which is why Scotland fans are so anxious to end the 20 years of hurt. You get the build-up, and you get the party, and the experience. Just accept that England are very unlikely to do well, and enjoy it. It's a much more enjoyable tournament if your country is in it, even if you do go out early.

And Scotland have brought it on themselves in recent years. I think a lot of us used to cheer them on in these tournaments as kids. But they have got so chippy about England, we've had enough and are returning the favour.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Can't agree with any of that. It's MILES better to be there, which is why Scotland fans are so anxious to end the 20 years of hurt. You get the build-up, and you get the party, and the experience. Just accept that England are very unlikely to do well, and enjoy it. It's a much more enjoyable tournament if your country is in it, even if you do go out early.

And Scotland have brought it on themselves in recent years. I think a lot of us used to cheer them on in these tournaments as kids. But they have got so chippy about England, we've had enough and are returning the favour.

Fair comment but I no longer enjoy watching us **** up in the finals. I am struggling to remember the last time I enjoyed watching England in the finals. When Venables or maybe Hoddle were In charge? Each to their own though.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

2014 World Cup

2016 Euros

No other countries laughed they all sat back and admired our quality in failure. But obviously they all pissed themselves at Scotlands failure to even qualify.

The days when we could laugh at Scotland are long gone imo, we are nearly as shit.

I’m siding with this....

We’ll qualify tonight, win the group easily, then next summer perform woefully in the group stages whoever we play. On the off chance we get past the group, we’ll get humiliated in the the next round. It’s just so predictable.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As an Englishman who lived in Scotland for a number of years (and to be fair, I loved it, and made many Scottish friends) I can agree with that 100%. The hatred of the English at times is hard to believe, unless you've experienced it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here