Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Agnostic vs Atheist

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Agnostics are attempting to stay on the fence just in case he does turn out to be real.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
“As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one can prove that there is not a God. On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think that I ought to say that I am an Atheist, because, when I say that I cannot prove that there is not a God, I ought to add equally that I cannot prove that there are not the Homeric gods.”
― Bertrand Russell

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
"If your'e agnostic about God, you have to be agnostic about fairies." - Ricky Gervais.

That's rubbish. Who is he to tell anyone what they have to believe? I could be atheist about God, a true believer in unicorns, but agnostic about pixies. I may have formed these opinions based on my own observations and experiences.

Oct 25, 2003
Ricky Gervais is absolutely insufferable when it comes to religion- no idea how he's somehow become the poster boy for Atheism....there are many far more intelligent and knowledgable on the issue

he seems to talk about God more than many Christians do and to be honest he just comes across as a bit of a dick in that respect

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ricky Gervais is absolutely insufferable when it comes to religion- no idea how he's somehow become the poster boy for Atheism....there are many far more intelligent and knowledgable on the issue

he seems to talk about God more than many Christians do and to be honest he just comes across as a bit of a dick in that respect

And every other respect imho.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Tbh honest, "God" creating everything is just as unbelievable as a "big bang" doing so.
Maybe, just maybe they're both wrong...?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Christopher Hitchens is the person to listen to... sadly departed. Richard Dawkins is very Marmite as he is very clear in his views... p*sses both theists and non-theists off.

Sam Harris is very good - and living in the States is living in a much more 'dangerous' world than athiests in Europe experience (but nothing like some Asian / African nations). He has written some very good books on the subject.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That's rubbish. Who is he to tell anyone what they have to believe? I could be atheist about God, a true believer in unicorns, but agnostic about pixies. I may have formed these opinions based on my own observations and experiences.

nice hypothetical, but missing the point of the quote. logically, there's no sound reason to be agnostic about God while not being agnositc about any other supernatural being or phenomenon.

strictly speaking, atheism means nothing more than non-belief in gods. as the saying goes, they belief in one less god than the christians, jews, muslims. if you reject the various pantheons of Greeks, Romans, Hindus, Zoroastrians, etc, etc, why believe in one specific god? and by extension all manner of associated spirits, beings, entities that no one has ever shown to exist?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here