Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hove sea front shelter adapted to make life difficult for the homeless ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Driving to work today I noticed that along Kingsway near Hove lawns the council appear to have removed the roof tops from most of the sea front shelters.
Is this an attempt to discourage homeless people sleeping rough in the shelters ? I have only just noticed this so it may have been done for some time.

I am not sure how I feel about depriving the most needy and desperate people in our society, however I can understand the need to discourage the amount of homeless people in Brighton.
Obviously in an ideal world there would be no homeless people and the government, local councils would be able to cope with this crises but that is not going to happen anytime soon.

No doubt this thread will either sink without a trace or be hijacked by the political left or right on this board trying to out score each other.

The council may very well just be doing maintenance, and the cynical among us may ask why in winter.
If the council have removed the roofs in an attempt to discourage people sleeping in them during the autumn and winter do you think that is right ?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
They did this to the Arches near the Lagoon a few years ago. Not sure whether it came about because of the murder of a homeless person or whether it contributed to his death. I'm sure he was from Cornwall.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The council may very well just be doing maintenance, and the cynical among us may ask why in winter.

Surely seafront maintenance is usually done in winter as there are less tourists/day trippers to disrupt?

If it was a deliberate ploy to inconvenience homeless people it is pretty lousy.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought it was for refurbishment purposes. I am also amazed at the number the wooden seats on the seafront promenade ( not the benches) that are constantly destroyed. Local rubbish collector we spoke to said that they have had times where the homeless people have gone on a spree and broken everything in sight. Real shame really.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
OP; Why not ring the council and find out what is going on before you start an 'and another thing' thread?

WATFORD zero

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 10, 2003
OP; Why not ring the council and find out what is going on before you start an 'and another thing' thread?

Have you rung the council with a question lately ? You would undoubtedly get a quicker answer here

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I'd be suprised if it was a ploy to discourage homelessness. It sounds a lot more plausible that it's just routine maintenance.
Otherwise you'd have to adapt a Frankie Boyle joke to say, removing places to shelter to discourage homelessness is like withdrawing medicine to encourage people to be immortal.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-24774856

Three people have been found guilty over the murder of a homeless man who was battered to death where he slept near Hove seafront.

Michael Clark, 51, and Edward Philips, 49, were found guilty of murdering 45-year-old Lea Williams.

Lauren Bishop, 36, was found guilty of conspiracy to murder. Police said she offered "sexual favours" to Philips if he attacked Mr Williams.

His body was found near the pitch-and-putt at Western Esplanade in February.

All three will be sentenced on Monday.

Phillips claimed to be a good friend to Lea, however the offer of sexual favours from Bishop meant more to him than that friendshipDet Ch Insp Ian Pollard, Sussex Police

Lewes Crown Court had been told Mr Williams was struck 20-30 times, possibly with the metal bar he kept for protection.

Dianne Chan, prosecuting, said Clark and Phillips committed the murder "at the behest or request" of Bishop after a row.

The jury heard Bishop confronted Mr Williams after he swore at another person while drinking with a number of homeless friends - including Clark and Phillips - near Portland Road, Hove, in February.

Ms Chan told the court: "She kicked and slapped and screamed at him, and when he walked away she said, 'It isn't over yet'."

The court heard a woman at a bus stop had seen two men approach the alcove at Western Esplanade where Mr Williams slept and one was bringing his arm down in what appeared to be a chopping motion.

The homeless man's body was found three days later by volunteers who had brought him food.

Sussex Police said Mr Williams was an alcoholic who had made his home under the archway in Hove. Lea Williams was sleeping in an archway near the pitch-and-putt course on Hove seafront

Det Ch Insp Ian Pollard said: "It is clear from evidence that Lauren Bishop instigated the attack on Lea Williams and sent Clarke and Phillips to carry it out.

"The reward for Phillips for carrying out her instructions was sexual favours, which he received later that evening.

"Phillips claimed to be a good friend to Lea, however the offer of sexual favours from Bishop meant more to him than that friendship as he took part in this brutal attack and tried to blame Clarke.

"Clarke claimed he had suffered blackouts and had no memory of what had happened but so compelling was the evidence, he has also been found guilty of murder."

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-24774856

Three people have been found guilty over the murder of a homeless man who was battered to death where he slept near Hove seafront.

Michael Clark, 51, and Edward Philips, 49, were found guilty of murdering 45-year-old Lea Williams.

Lauren Bishop, 36, was found guilty of conspiracy to murder. Police said she offered "sexual favours" to Philips if he attacked Mr Williams.

His body was found near the pitch-and-putt at Western Esplanade in February.

All three will be sentenced on Monday.

Phillips claimed to be a good friend to Lea, however the offer of sexual favours from Bishop meant more to him than that friendshipDet Ch Insp Ian Pollard, Sussex Police

Lewes Crown Court had been told Mr Williams was struck 20-30 times, possibly with the metal bar he kept for protection.

Dianne Chan, prosecuting, said Clark and Phillips committed the murder "at the behest or request" of Bishop after a row.

The jury heard Bishop confronted Mr Williams after he swore at another person while drinking with a number of homeless friends - including Clark and Phillips - near Portland Road, Hove, in February.

Ms Chan told the court: "She kicked and slapped and screamed at him, and when he walked away she said, 'It isn't over yet'."

The court heard a woman at a bus stop had seen two men approach the alcove at Western Esplanade where Mr Williams slept and one was bringing his arm down in what appeared to be a chopping motion.

The homeless man's body was found three days later by volunteers who had brought him food.

Sussex Police said Mr Williams was an alcoholic who had made his home under the archway in Hove. Lea Williams was sleeping in an archway near the pitch-and-putt course on Hove seafront

Det Ch Insp Ian Pollard said: "It is clear from evidence that Lauren Bishop instigated the attack on Lea Williams and sent Clarke and Phillips to carry it out.

"The reward for Phillips for carrying out her instructions was sexual favours, which he received later that evening.

"Phillips claimed to be a good friend to Lea, however the offer of sexual favours from Bishop meant more to him than that friendship as he took part in this brutal attack and tried to blame Clarke.

"Clarke claimed he had suffered blackouts and had no memory of what had happened but so compelling was the evidence, he has also been found guilty of murder."

Given that article is from 2013 are you suggesting that the Council have been in consultation for the past four years trying to think up a way to reduce the instances of murder of the homeless and after four years of consultation have finally decided on this solution? Actually, thinking about the way this Council operate it actually sounds quite feasible.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Have you rung the council with a question lately ? You would undoubtedly get a quicker answer here

We get an excellent response from all council areas within the London Borough of Merton. Sounds like maybe Brighton & Hove isn't all that when it comes their council?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Oh I am sorry, I did not realise you were in charge of the contents posted on NSC, that's me punish: then.....

Please ensure you let over 50% of the original posters on page one alone the error of their ways including Baseball, PPI, Brexit, Strong man with a van needed, Podcasts the list goes on....

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here