Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rock Stories

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Coming home from Eastbourne last night I met with some youngsters who'd been to a gig at the Con Club at Lewes.

We got talking about vinyl as one of the lads had started collecting vinyl records including one he was carrying having bought it at the gig. Took me back to Richard Branson and his Virgin store at the Clock Tower where you could sample requested records whilst sitting on giant cushions. Also the Big Apple on the same site.

But I love passing on old "rocker tales" after all this is where legends are made.

My one involved the Summit in Houston in 1982. I'd gone to meet a mate from Hove who'd emigrated to Dallas a few years earlier. We did the usual in Dallas Fort Worth by visiting the old stock yards which was made into Billy Bobs Texas the Water Gardens etc but then I moved onto Houston to see Asia Cheap Trick and Axe at the Summit an 18000 seater arena. I'd been in the Spindletop having met Ann Margaret and her entourage in the revolving restaurant and running late called a cab. As I walked into the arename with a bucket of Pearl lager the strains of House of the Rising Sun rang out. Eric Burden had unexpectedly reformed the Animals and it was magical to see the sixties band reformed. Missed Axe but later having made my way to Remmingtons a nightclub in SW Houston I'd adopted whilst there I arrived as a stretch limo was leaving. The window wound down and the band inside was Axe the band I'd gone to see on the bill. They invited me back to hotel as the club was closed. I sadly had to decline as I'd promised a lass I'd met earlier that I'd meet that night. Oh what could have been though it may have been fortuitous that I went "home".

scooter1

How soon is now?
years ago I did a gig with Steve Diggle from the Buzzcocks and he relayed this tale: The Buzzcocks supported Nirvana on their last tour and Cobain was in a really bad way. Dave Grohl was chatting to Steve telling him how it was all over and he'd starting writing a few songs. He tossed Steve a cassette and asked him to have a listen. Steve's thought: 'oh god, another drummer trying to write songs' and chucked it in a guitar case. A year or so later he was going through his guitars and came accross the tape. He had a listen and it was all the demos for the first Foo Fighters album

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
years ago I did a gig with Steve Diggle from the Buzzcocks and he relayed this tale: The Buzzcocks supported Nirvana on their last tour and Cobain was in a really bad way. Dave Grohl was chatting to Steve telling him how it was all over and he'd starting writing a few songs. He tossed Steve a cassette and asked him to have a listen. Steve's thought: 'oh god, another drummer trying to write songs' and chucked it in a guitar case. A year or so later he was going through his guitars and came accross the tape. He had a listen and it was all the demos for the first Foo Fighters album

Great story fella.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Coming home from Eastbourne last night I met with some youngsters who'd been to a gig at the Con Club at Lewes.

We got talking about vinyl as one of the lads had started collecting vinyl records including one he was carrying having bought it at the gig. Took me back to Richard Branson and his Virgin store at the Clock Tower where you could sample requested records whilst sitting on giant cushions. Also the Big Apple on the same site.

But I love passing on old "rocker tales" after all this is where legends are made.

My one involved the Summit in Houston in 1982. I'd gone to meet a mate from Hove who'd emigrated to Dallas a few years earlier. We did the usual in Dallas Fort Worth by visiting the old stock yards which was made into Billy Bobs Texas the Water Gardens etc but then I moved onto Houston to see Asia Cheap Trick and Axe at the Summit an 18000 seater arena. I'd been in the Spindletop having met Ann Margaret and her entourage in the revolving restaurant and running late called a cab. As I walked into the arename with a bucket of Pearl lager the strains of House of the Rising Sun rang out. Eric Burden had unexpectedly reformed the Animals and it was magical to see the sixties band reformed. Missed Axe but later having made my way to Remmingtons a nightclub in SW Houston I'd adopted whilst there I arrived as a stretch limo was leaving. The window wound down and the band inside was Axe the band I'd gone to see on the bill. They invited me back to hotel as the club was closed. I sadly had to decline as I'd promised a lass I'd met earlier that I'd meet that night. Oh what could have been though it may have been fortuitous that I went "home".

do you mean Ann Margret .... the actress?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I thought this was thread about geology :(

Many years ago in Wales we thought we had found some Inky-blue tabular anatase crystal in a cave. When we asked an expert on minerals he said it was a common blue Bricite. You can imagine how embarrassed we were.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
I once found a ammonite fossil 24" across. When I showed it to the man in the shop he said I had to give it in to the museum because it was too big for members of the public to keep. I've often wondered since then whether I was scammed.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I once found a ammonite fossil 24" across. When I showed it to the man in the shop he said I had to give it in to the museum because it was too big for members of the public to keep. I've often wondered since then whether I was scammed.

Thread hijack.

PS is your user name anything to do with Pacman?

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
I do have a rock story
(Oh look. Thread back on track)
I attended the U2 concert at the New Regent. The audience numbered 7...

(I was working behind the bar)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've a massive rock story. It's as hard as granite and as big as the Spinal Tap Stonehenge set.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Black Metal night tomorrow at Mammothfest in Brighton, if you want an ultra heavy rock story, that’s where you’ll find it.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
I managed to get myself backstage at the essential music fest held in Stanmer park many moons ago. The levellers headlined and had Korn as a support act. I was sitting at a table in the bar area when Jonathan Davis asked if he could join me. Being that I was there to see Korn I could hardly say no, and we were soon joined by the other band members. After about 10 mins of chit chat they told me one of their roadies had quit and if I fancied it I could go to Paris with them and help them unload the truck. Unfortunately my girlfriend (now wife) was waiting for me in the crowd and I said no. I often wonder what would I be doing now if I had accepted.

Binney on acid

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
My friend and I were at college and although we had tickets to see The Who's first ever live performance of Who's next, we sneaked in to The Assembly Hall in Worthing, and before we got chucked out, we watched Keith Moon rehearsing. Believe me, that guy didn't need to rehearse !

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Eddie Vedder made Mrs The Clamp a cup of tea once.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
My friend and I were at college and although we had tickets to see The Who's first ever live performance of Who's next, we sneaked in to The Assembly Hall in Worthing, and before we got chucked out, we watched Keith Moon rehearsing. Believe me, that guy didn't need to rehearse !
I went to that gig too :)
No stories though!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I do have a rock story
(Oh look. Thread back on track)
I attended the U2 concert at the New Regent. The audience numbered 7...

(I was working behind the bar)

Were they still The Hype then?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Whilst at school in 1969 several of us tried to sneak into the Big Apple at the Clock Tower to watch T Rex. We got in round the back up a fire escape but bottled out before going into the auditorium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here