Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On This Day...

HoraceHorrible

Sep 26, 2017
East Grinstead
walsall.jpg

41 years ago we beat Walsall 7-0 at the Goldstone, four goals from Ward and the other three from Mellor.

[tweet]915812988170461184[/tweet]

26 years ago John Byrne and John Robinson scored in a 4-2 loss at Sunderland.

[tweet]915813782248673280[/tweet]

23 years ago we beat Leicester 2-0 away in the League Cup with goals from Stuart Munday and Kurt Nogan.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I remember it well.

Stood in the south stand and IIRC the weather was foggy with a heavy dew in the air. 23 years old.

JoeKidd

Mar 15, 2015
Yep remember the Walsall game being 0-0 at half time. I often wonder what Alan Mullery said to them.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I remember it well.

Stood in the south stand and IIRC the weather was foggy with a heavy dew in the air. 23 years old.

Stood on the NW Terrace, remember it as very damp and I too was 23 years old.
The most surprising night in Albion history. Awful first half. Mullery was so angry he sent them back out, after 2-3 minutes in the dressing room, to stand in the rain and cold and wait fully 5-6 minutes for Walsall to emerge. The next 28 minutes was breathtaking. I have never seen a team ripped to shreds like that. Ward and Mellor were unplayable and Horton drove the team forward like a man possessed. Had we not eased up in the last 17 minutes I'm sure they could have broken the club record, getting 10 or 11.
On a horrible night for weather and against opponents who were always a bogey side to us, it would have been very easy to give the game a miss. I thank my lucky stars I went and witnessed that. It was one of those special nights that will forever linger in the memory.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Stood on the NW Terrace, remember it as very damp and I too was 23 years old.
The most surprising night in Albion history. Awful first half. Mullery was so angry he sent them back out, after 2-3 minutes in the dressing room, to stand in the rain and cold and wait fully 5-6 minutes for Walsall to emerge. The next 28 minutes was breathtaking. I have never seen a team ripped to shreds like that. Ward and Mellor were unplayable and Horton drove the team forward like a man possessed. Had we not eased up in the last 17 minutes I'm sure they could have broken the club record, getting 10 or 11.
On a horrible night for weather and against opponents who were always a bogey side to us, it would have been very easy to give the game a miss. I thank my lucky stars I went and witnessed that. It was one of those special nights that will forever linger in the memory.

That's exactly how I recall it.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I remember the second two well but the Walsall game was before I was born. Seems like a mythical time to me.

The second half burst into life so quickly, that most of us were swept up in it and before we knew it, the goals were pouring in. From first goal to last, they averaged a goal every four minutes. To see two quick forwards, working in complete harmony and understanding and everything they did came off, was a joy to behold.
I have recounted the night's events to my son, who, like yourself, wasn't born then and he is amazed at the details of the game. A game that has passed into folklore.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Remember it so well also the York 7-2 . Happy days . 41 years ago bloody hell . I was just 19 . Oh for a Time Machine to whisk me be back to those days.

HoraceHorrible

Sep 26, 2017
East Grinstead
The second half burst into life so quickly, that most of us were swept up in it and before we knew it, the goals were pouring in. From first goal to last, they averaged a goal every four minutes. To see two quick forwards, working in complete harmony and understanding and everything they did came off, was a joy to behold.
I have recounted the night's events to my son, who, like yourself, wasn't born then and he is amazed at the details of the game. A game that has passed into folklore.

My era was the late 80s-90s and I liked hearing the stories on the terraces of the previous decades. It's not quite the same when I tell my sons about the good old days of the goalmouth scramble.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I remember it well.

I was 14 for the Walsall game. Down the front in the West Stand South.

I thought it fully rained through the second half.

Ward and Mellor were just brilliant in the second half and just tore the Walsall defence apart. More than once they appeared to end up goal side of the entire defence with just the decision to make as to whose turn it was to score.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I was 14 for the Walsall game. Down the front in the West Stand South.

I thought it fully rained through the second half.

Ward and Mellor were just brilliant in the second half and just tore the Walsall defence apart. More than once they appeared to end up goal side of the entire defence with just the decision to make as to whose turn it was to score.

They were queuing up to score good memory. I don't think it actually rained though it was one of those old atmospheric nights that the Goldstone was famous for. I could name many evening games that spring to mind.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They were queuing up to score good memory. I don't think it actually rained though it was one of those old atmospheric nights that the Goldstone was famous for. I could name many evening games that spring to mind.

Sea fret, most likely :thumbsup:
It was certainly a feature of evening games at the Goldstone.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION], I think, for that Leicester game. Did we travel on the Supporters' Club coach?

That was the game that Jimmy Case was sent off for, essentially, being deaf.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This day in 1994 we beat Leicester away in the league cup with a goal from Stuart Munday, remember it well what a way to spend a birthday. We had a barman in the pub designated to just serve our little party of 6 as we were all drinking well and fast.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION], I think, for that Leicester game. Did we travel on the Supporters' Club coach?

That was the game that Jimmy Case was sent off for, essentially, being deaf.

What a game that was. And one of the few occasions I've been spat on for supporting my team.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What a game that was. And one of the few occasions I've been spat on for supporting my team.

That was a smidge over half my lifetime ago and I remember it so vividly, quite an achievement considering currently I don't remember where I put my keys.

My final act of such an eventful evening was to see if I could drive down the deserted M23 in a straight line.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That was a smidge over half my lifetime ago and I remember it so vividly.

Exactly the same in every sense.

Which is a little bit curious, given all the huge games we’ve had since. That one is pretty significant in the big scheme of things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here