Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever Debunked a Medical Forecast You Were Given?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's 'look at me' thread time again gang:

Following a bicycle crash that made a mess of my left shoulder (biggest separation of clavicle he'd ever seen the X-ray guy said) the operating surgeon told me I'd have restricted movement in my left arm for life and would never be able to get it half way up my back (e.g. to itch my upper back). After some basic NHS physio I soon regained the movement I'd previously had in that arm and could reach further up my back than I ever could before, and significantly further than I can with my right.

Anyone?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Not me but a friend was given a terminal cancer sentence and was told he wouldn’t see the birth of his child.
His daughter is now 18 months old and he’s pretty much beaten cancer. All down to cannabis oil

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I had an infected ingrown toenail, the consensus online was I'd need an operation.

Na, an evening down the pub followed by a hot pin and some tweezers and job done.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes. Snapped finger tendon I was told meant joint fusion; 7 weeks in a finger splint and its Subbuteo here we come.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Yep, told I probably had bowel cancer.

After a couple of months of investigations it turned out I didn't.

Hoorah!!!

Turned out the symptoms were complications of cystic fibrosis (which hadn't been picked up during 40 years of shit health).

Boo.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I was told my asthma would clear up as I reached my later teens, I am still wheezing on a regular basis at 46.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
smashed my right ankle ( bottom of tib & fib) into 64 countable pieces at the age of 21 , there was nothing left to to pin and there was talk of amputation , my older brother did my bidding as i was off my head on morphine for 10 days and managed to convince them that i would not appreciate having my foot removed , a back slab was fitted and twice daily augmentation by numerous physios whilst smashed on pethadine managed to open the joint up enough for them to predict a life time of walking with a stick , never be able to run or kick a ball again .........which was a major blow seeing as my football was part of my immigration qualifications to come to OZ ........anyway i set about proving them wrong , and i did .........the body is pretty amazing if you give it a chance.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I got whooping cough bad at 2 years of age and mum was told that I wouldn't make it till the end of that said week, still typing.
I got pretty smashed up in a motor vehicle accident some years ago, right leg broken in 3 places and right foot snapped in half upwards, big toe stuck in leg just above ankle.
I was told I would lose the right foot 3 inches above the ankle and would be walking with a stick from the age of 40.
After lots of visits to hospital, bone grafts and a few years I am still walking, jogging, cycling, swimming and falling over when drunk.
The scars look impressive and not much feeling in the top surface in the right foot, but easily livable with and not really effecting anything..............................yet.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
Not me, and it was 100 years ago, but my grandfather was invalided out of the army during the first world war. He was a stretcher bearer, seriously wounded at the Battle of Loos in 1915, convalesced, discovered to have a serious heart condition and then told that, if he got a job outside he might live 6 months.

He died in 1974 at the age of 82.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My father-in-law got turned down for WW2 service because of a heart problem. He told his future wife he'd probably be dead by the age of 40. Every year was going to be his last. He was going to be right one day - he eventually died a month ago aged 95!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here