Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Paralympic athletes exaggerating their disability for unfair advantages.

0 Not allowed!
    I have admired the paralympic athletes for their grit and determination in succeeding in competitions, but this article brought me right back to earth.

Some athletes have been 'cheating' by exaggerating their disabilities to get into a different class, and unfair advantage.

A File on 4 special - Paralympic Sport - Fair Play?- spoke to athletes, parents, coaches and classifiers, and uncovered claims of tactics including the taping up of arms, taking cold showers in trunks and even surgery to shorten limbs in a bid to cheat the system.

British T37 200m sprinter Bethany Woodward has handed back a relay medal she won from an event in the past four years, telling File on 4 the inclusion of one of her team-mates was "giving us an unfair advantage".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/41253174
    Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
    The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members. Mahatma Gandhi

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Are you surprised? PED are no doubt being used as well. These are incredibly competitive people that have to win. They like anyone else will do whatever it takes to win.

1 Not allowed!
      Been going on for ages. Incredibly difficult to police effectively though, particularly with less visible disabilities. Tricky one to voice any criticism over given the number of genuinely inspirational examples there are.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      Been going on for ages. Incredibly difficult to police effectively though, particularly with less visible disabilities. Tricky one to voice any criticism over given the number of genuinely inspirational examples there are.
      This.

I've never had any interest at all in competitive disability sports that have arbitrary classifications. A race between one athlete in a wheelchair and another - okay, we can all see that is equitable. Something like Goalball, for visually impaired athletes (where they make all players wear a complete black-out mask to totally level the playing field) yep, get that.

Something like the cerebral palsy events, where there are infinite degrees of the condition, seem utterly inequitable. You can't have infinite different categories, so it just becomes a game of 'who is the least disabled, within two vague grades of the condition?'.

And that's even BEFORE you get into people cheating the system to sneak into higher grades, to improve their chances.

The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      Some athletes have been 'cheating' by exaggerating their disabilities to get into a different class, and unfair advantage.
      Well obviously. There are rewards for those who succeed, of course people will try and gain unfair advantage. It's also particularly difficult for the athletes who find themselves on the wrong side of the cusp between categories, so they have no real chance of winning against those in the class with less of a disability, so they may want to try and move into another class where suddenly they're the one with an advantage.

It's impossible to get it all right to be honest, but it's still worthwhile.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      Something like the cerebral palsy events, where there are infinite degrees of the condition, seem utterly inequitable. You can't have infinite different categories, so it just becomes a game of 'who is the least disabled, within two vague grades of the condition?'.

And that's even BEFORE you get into people cheating the system to sneak into higher grades, to improve their chances.

So what do you suggest?
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      So what do you suggest?
      I don't suggest anything, really.

Many of the people involved are clearly massively inspirational. What they drive themselves to do is amazing.

I'm just not convinced that a system that offers monetary and other rewards for out-performing other competitors afflicted by a higher degree of disability has any worth.

Everyone should be given a chance to play sports. I don't personally think that having a disability affords you any MORE than that - the 'right' for monetary reward / huge expensive events with all the razzamatazz. I don't think the disabled sport INDUSTRY has things quite right, frankly.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      I don't suggest anything, really.

Many of the people involved are clearly massively inspirational. What they drive themselves to do is amazing.

I'm just not convinced that a system that offers monetary and other rewards for out-performing other competitors afflicted by a higher degree of disability has any worth.

Everyone should be given a chance to play sports. I don't personally think that having a disability affords you any MORE than that - the 'right' for monetary reward / huge expensive events with all the razzamatazz. I don't think the disabled sport INDUSTRY has things quite right, frankly.
      Quite right, it has now gone far away from sports to big money

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Rod Marsh View Post
      Are you surprised? PED are no doubt being used as well. These are incredibly competitive people that have to win. They like anyone else will do whatever it takes to win.
      I think the one that really surprised me was amputees having further amputation just to get an advantage. It just didn't make sense to me. Surely no amount of money or prestige makes up for that.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members. Mahatma Gandhi

0 Not allowed!
      I was watching the swimming in the Invictus Games the other night. A couple of them only had 1 arm, so (predictably) came in a mile behind.

Its all very worthwhile in terms of the bravery and spirit on show. But it doesn't come down to fitness or talent, the overriding factor is how severely disabled each individual is in each field. Like I say, you can only admire them for their determination to compete, and I'm sure they all get a hell of a lot out of it, which I guess is the most important thing here. But as a sporting competition, its unavoidably flawed.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"