Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Micro Transactions" in modern games

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just had a quick look in the Fifa thread and this reminded me of a nagging problem I have with a lot of modern games. It started with mobile games and seems to follow the drug dealer model - the first taste is free. But now, people pay £50 for a game and then are happy to pay a lot more. This isn't for new content - just unlocking things that are already in the game. It has never sat well with me although if I like a mobile game, I will buy an add on or two in lieu of buying the game up front.

But what recently brought it home for me was a pokie/slot game I play on my tablet. It's a game style I like and stopped playing the real ones because they have the power to become addictive and it is a quick couple of minutes pick up and play type game. They have a daily bonus that gives you some coins multiplied by your level and due to a glitch syncing between my phone and tablet, the game decided I was on level 100000 instead of 150 that I was actually on. So instead of the usual 10-20 millions coins, I got 180 billion. I played for a week or so on this before, not unexpectedly running out. So far, so banal.

But here is the kicker. The 180 billion coins I got due to a bug could have been purchased. Haven't got time to ask for guesses as to how much these coins (that maybe gave 10 hours of gameplay) cost so I will just do the maths for you. The top "micro purchase" bundle you can get gives you 2.4 billion coins. So buying this 75 times would have got me the same amount. And the cost of one bundle? $99.99. So just the $7500 to get 10 hours game play.

I'm interested to know if it is a generational thing with old farts like me having a problem with this model. Obviously the one above is at the extreme end and is for a game you can play for free. But £50 for Fifa and then a lot more if you want a competitive online team? My girlfriend played Hearthstone quite a lot which is fine until you play against people who have bought extra cards and then have little to no chance.

I do wonder if these companies are purposely playing on peoples addictive tendencies. I don't think it is a secret that the Candy Crush type games will purposely not give you the right gems/items for several tries on the trot to entice you to spend money. Need 10 red gems to finish the level? Have 9 and use a power up to get the 10th. No power ups - no problem. We've got your credit card details, right? Here's a pop up screen offering you the chance to buy some. Sorry the buy button is right where you were about to press before this popped up but I'm sure you meant to buy some more, right?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jnr and a few others went round a mates for his 13th birthday, FIFA playing, gathering.

The lad in question spent all of his £100 birthday money on FIFA add ons.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Trust me, these games are becoming an issue for card issuers as well.

It's so easy to spend recurring amounts without realising it, and then you get the statement and realise that you've dropped a few thousand and now you're wondering how you're going to pay for it.

I remember Farmville on Facebook, I must have spent a solid £100 on that before catching myself and knocking it on the head. That game really was the start of "social" gaming through Facebook and now you've got apps like Mobile Strike and Game of War which are heavily laden with in-game purchases. They've become like the betting machines in bookies, but far more subtle and accessible because every time you need to go take a seat in the gent's, out comes the phone and if you're in a bad mood you might want to bomb the hell out of something for the sheer sake of it and find yourself spending money without even really considering it to be real money. It's so easy to become addicted and spend big amounts without even realising it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the idea of microtransactions is great, its supposed to be the great new hope for online services, publishing, music, anything really. except it hasnt happened yet.

on the other hand, the video games industry has stumbled upon this as a great wheeze to get people buying game time/lives/bonuses, and yes they rely on "whales" to spend lots to fund the game while something like 70-80% never pay a penny. it shouldn't be a problem (you can often get bonus by watching a video, paying that way) but its clear they tapped into addictive tendencies.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
At the risk of sounding like an old fart but do you remember the days when you'd spend £30 on a game and you'd get the entire game for that £30? No Day 1 patch, no DLC.

yes. it was rubbish when they published buggy games.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
yes. it was rubbish when they published buggy games.

I don't know man. I picked up Final Fantasy 7 on release day, three discs, hours of gameplay and had a blast. And countless others.

I just get the impression sometimes that the DLC people buy isn't really "exclusive" or "additional" content made after the base game had come out but is actually stuff that could've been there from Day 1 which is then being sold later to make more money. It's a business obviously but I disagree with it entirely. Can't recall ever buying DLC come to think of it.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'm not a fan of micro-transactions but if people are willing to pay it then they're here to stay. The value for money you get with DLC can vary wildly.

Mobile games are often programmed to make it virtually impossible to progress for a period of time (say, 20 attempts at a level) to try and tempt you in to paying for a boost. As soon as you do that it then makes it impossible to progress purely through skill on a regular basis.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I don't know man. I picked up Final Fantasy 7 on release day, three discs, hours of gameplay and had a blast. And countless others.

I just get the impression sometimes that the DLC people buy isn't really "exclusive" or "additional" content made after the base game had come out but is actually stuff that could've been there from Day 1 which is then being sold later to make more money. It's a business obviously but I disagree with it entirely. Can't recall ever buying DLC come to think of it.
This is the main downside I think - content that was designed to be released with the game being extracted by publishers or developers and instead issued as DLC.
The only issue I have with 'additional content' (asides from DLC) is if the content purchased increases a players ability above the 'free' players, creating a 'pay to play' environment.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Problems arise when they start carving out content that would have been part of the game as paid DLC. The idea of 'season passes' is also horrific.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here