Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shocked to see so many Arsenal fans getting on at Worthing, Hove etc

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We all know there are a lot of "big" teams fans living in Sussex but I was really shocked how many were getting on the train from the south coast.

Yes I am sure that some of them have a london history etc but for the rest I just don't get it. Why support a team so far away just because they are a big club.

What is it all about?

The sooner we get a bigger stadium and start converting these families the better. (I realise we have already done that once!).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It can get quite noisy in Sussex on a Sunday. Perhaps they were just seeking a bit of peace and quiet?

#supportnoiseabatement

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
The biggest surprise is how many people wear the albion colours these days

I'm not complaining

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We all know there are a lot of "big" teams fans living in Sussex but I was really shocked how many were getting on the train from the south coast.

Yes I am sure that some of them have a london history etc but for the rest I just don't get it. Why support a team so far away just because they are a big club.

What is it all about?

The sooner we get a bigger stadium and start converting these families the better. (I realise we have already done that once!).

Quite a few got on with us at Haywards Heath. I have highlighted the reason why they follow Arsenal. Mind you, if today is typical of the support they normally get at home, it's a no from me.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Surely it's the DFLs and cheaper house prices outside of London making a bit of a disporia from the capital?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Glory cough supporters

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
They seemed to be mostly family types. Dads with kids. Was very sad to see, with Portsmouth/ Southampton in one direction and The Albion in the other yet going for the glory option.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The London Diaspora....well, my old man was diaporetic. But he was Millwall. And although he could be a contrary type, he gladly took up the local cudgel, became blue and white striped (well, solid back then), went to Newcastle away (our first promotion to the top) and the cup semi final (not the final - that was far too rococo). No, South Coast Arse are like my nephew - no connection, just affliction. Consumers.

Just like the music I follow, my football is precious. I resent tourists at serious events.

My prediction.... Arsenal must ditch Wenger and bring in a nutter. However it will never happen as it has all become a safe cash cow, fed by tourists and Sky money. Let this never happen to BHAFC. Keep it small. Keep it precious. Keep it noisy.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Just asked my Brighton born Arsenal supporting mate why she does, I absolutely hate this reply:

Me: Why do you support Arsenal rather than your home team
Her: I have supported them since I was little

That isn't an answer if you ask me, you have to be pretty insecure to have to follow a team that wins all the time rather than follow your home team through thick and thin.

el punal

What is it all about?

I do think you're ever so slightly overreacting. It just so happens that both sets of fans happen to be going to the same venue at the same time. The same will apply when we're away to Chelsea and Spurs. Do you honestly think that all Arsenal fans should only come from Islington, or that Albion fans should only be from Brighton and Hove? By the same token there are thousands of Brighton fans who come to games from outside of Sussex, including me. There are many and varied reasons why fans come from all over to watch their team play be it us, or Arsenal, or any other club - just accept it.

With regard to your comment about converting families into supporting, by your inference, the local team, that just does not wash. I can only describe my situation which would be indicative of many. I moved from Brighton to London and then Southampton many years ago. In sporting terms I have always been a fan of the Albion and Sussex at cricket despite living miles away. My wife, who was born and bred in Southampton, as are our two daughters, are Albion fans through and through and not Saints! So too my son in law and grandchildren and they live in Croydon (aargh!). Dare I say it, that it was my influence and love for the Albion that convinced them to follow the mighty Seagulls. Blood runs thicker than water and all that.

So your point about following the local team and converting families to do likewise would mean that the Albion would lose 8 loyal fans . . . . to go and watch and support Southampton! :eek:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Whenever I have taken the train to London on a weekend it's always full of London fans.

It amazes me the amount of people who think that a lot of football fans living in sussex give a toss about brighton. These people have not travelled to London often.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
In 10 to 15 years time our problem will be needing a bigger stadium. There are more Brighton shirts on the kids at Saturday morning footie training than any other club now, it's great to see. That wasn't the case even only 5 years ago. If we can stay competitive for the next 5 or so years then these poor youngsters will be hooked for life!!!! :)

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
Ahead of the Man City game I parked up in Moulsecoomb with my mate, we were both in Albion shirts for the game. Someone wound down their window and shouted 'Arsenal! Arsenal!' at us.

Regardless of the result today I'll satisfy myself that we'll have way more fun enjoying our season than they ever will complaining about finishing 5th/6th or wherever.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I do think you're ever so slightly overreacting. It just so happens that both sets of fans happen to be going to the same venue at the same time. The same will apply when we're away to Chelsea and Spurs. Do you honestly think that all Arsenal fans should only come from Islington, or that Albion fans should only be from Brighton and Hove? By the same token there are thousands of Brighton fans who come to games from outside of Sussex, including me. There are many and varied reasons why fans come from all over to watch their team play be it us, or Arsenal, or any other club - just accept it.

With regard to your comment about converting families into supporting, by your inference, the local team, that just does not wash. I can only describe my situation which would be indicative of many. I moved from Brighton to London and then Southampton many years ago. In sporting terms I have always been a fan of the Albion and Sussex at cricket despite living miles away. My wife, who was born and bred in Southampton, as are our two daughters, are Albion fans through and through and not Saints! So too my son in law and grandchildren and they live in Croydon (aargh!). Dare I say it, that it was my influence and love for the Albion that convinced them to follow the mighty Seagulls. Blood runs thicker than water and all that.

So your point about following the local team and converting families to do likewise would mean that the Albion would lose 8 loyal fans . . . . to go and watch and support Southampton! :eek:

There is a difference between choosing your non home town club due to a family connection than supporting a team cause they are really good and win things.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am not shocked, we were down and out for so long courtesy of a ******* owner.

Re-building a fan base will take more than a few years in a nice new stadium it will take a generation but the good news is it will happen.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I would not worry if today is anything to go by they would nothing but kill the atmosphere at the Amex, let Arsenal have them.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The London Diaspora....well, my old man was diaporetic. But he was Millwall. And although he could be a contrary type, he gladly took up the local cudgel, became blue and white striped (well, solid back then), went to Newcastle away (our first promotion to the top) and the cup semi final (not the final - that was far too rococo). No, South Coast Arse are like my nephew - no connection, just affliction. Consumers.

Just like the music I follow, my football is precious. I resent tourists at serious events.

My prediction.... Arsenal must ditch Wenger and bring in a nutter. However it will never happen as it has all become a safe cash cow, fed by tourists and Sky money. Let this never happen to BHAFC. Keep it small. Keep it precious. Keep it noisy.

A bit like this then :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here