Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier Mini League

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Not sure if this is interesting to others, but I've been tracking the "league within the league" made up of the clubs outside of the teams not expected to be competing for Europe. In light of early results you could argue one or two of the teams, but at the start of the season I identified the following 12 as being in the Mini League:

Watford; Burnley; Newcastle; West Brom; Huddersfield; Southampton; Stoke; Brighton; West Ham; Swansea; Bournemouth; Crystal Palace.

And therefore outside the mini league would be these 8: Man City; Man Utd; Tottenham; Chelsea; Liverpool; Arsenal; Everton; Leicester

The mini league reflects total Prem points, but treats points against teams outside the mini league as bonus points.

minileague3009.JPG

A few things strike me.
- Watford, Newcastle, West Brom and Southampton have only played one of the "big" teams so far. That should worry Southampton particularly and the other three a little perhaps.
- Stoke and Bournemouth have played four big teams already and Palarse three.
- Burnley have taken five points from the big sides already.

I know mini league membership is highly debateable (which teams are "big" and which aren't etc), but I've found it quite interesting so far.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think you need to include Leicester in the mini league

You wouldn't have said that before the season started though, would you? They are under-indexing, but I had to choose a cut off point for selection, so I chose before the season started. And you'll recall that everyone said we had to games against top teams to kick off with. So I suspect most of us considered them a top team before the season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You wouldn't have said that before the season started though, would you?
I wouldn't have put them in the top 8, so yes. Before the season I'd have chosen Chelsea and Man City as the top two, then Spurs/Man U, then Arsenal, then Liverpool. Next I'd have gone for Everton, then Southampton. Not that different to the final table last year (Manu U up with their spending and Mourinho, Spurs down due to Wembley).

They are under-indexing, but I had to choose a cut off point for selection, so I chose before the season started. And you'll recall that everyone said we had to games against top teams to kick off with. So I suspect most of us considered them a top team before the season.
When I posted I didn't realise you'd chosen before the start of the season, so I understand. For us I think away to Leicester is a tough game, they do have some excellent talent still. They were bottom half last season though, so I'd put Everton and Southampton ahead of them.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Attachments

• Doctor-Evil-With-Mini-Me-800x1061.jpg
    Doctor-Evil-With-Mini-Me-800x1061.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 348

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Surely the top 7 is the mini-league, and the other 13 (including Leicester) are outside of that in a league of their own.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
So - let's get this right. Palace have got NO points against the mini-league teams, and NO points against the big teams. Or have I misread this?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surely the top 7 is the mini-league, and the other 13 (including Leicester) are outside of that in a league of their own.
It's only a paper exercise, so it doesn't really matter - top 4, top 6, top 8, or whatever - it's just a theoretical way of looking at it. You could argue at the moment that Everton shouldn't be in that top league.
Doesn't invalidate the whole exercise, though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here