Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

catalonia independence vote......

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Some parts of catalunya had problems with voters and the guardia civil.
The barca game today has been called off as a result

larus

Shit. I was hoping this wouldn't happen, but suspected that it would.

Spain needs to do the right thing and announce an official referendum immediately... but, of course, they won't.

Stupid thing is, the polls were pointing towards more people wanting to stay within Spain rather than independence. Spain should have endorsed the vote and got an agreement that it was a 'Once In A Lifetime' vote (but we've heard that before from the SNP).

This has been handled badly and I can't see that this issue will be suppressed by violence/police. This is an emotive subject and I can see this becoming a bigger issue now for Spain.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
but we've heard that before from the SNP.

To be fair, rumblings over a second referendum have only really started since the EU referendum in which Scotland voted overwhelmingly to stay in.

larus

To be fair, rumblings over a second referendum have only really started since the EU referendum in which Scotland voted overwhelmingly to stay in.

If you believe that was the true cause, then IMO, you're mistaken. She jumped at the chance and, even before things became clear she was angling for another vote. She was even ignoring polls which pointed to the fact that most people din't want another referendum and only back-tracked after the bloody nose in the GE.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
If you believe that was the true cause, then IMO, you're mistaken. She jumped at the chance and, even before things became clear she was angling for another vote. She was even ignoring polls which pointed to the fact that most people din't want another referendum and only back-tracked after the bloody nose in the GE.

Granted, it was probably an excuse to get another referendum on the cards.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Stayed there few years ago, lovely place, climbed mount monsserat or however it's spelt

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

larus

Granted, it was probably an excuse to get another referendum on the cards.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the nationalists position. My view is a Brexit voter and when the exit poll pointed the remain, my reaction was to think that the only way out was to wait for the collapse of the Euro (which I think is unstable as there is no fiscal transfers). Also, Farage was quick to say that this was not the end. I can understand her thoughts, but this makes people blinkered. Something I read about the Scottish parliament was that they hadn't passed any legislation in 12 months and that they were failing badly on the areas where they had devolved powers. Again, they were so focused on the independence issue, they didn't bother with running the country where they should have been.

Anyway, back to Catalan :lol:

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Does this not violate article two in the EU? Using force against your own people is cause for suspension is it not?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not making it easy for themselves, the Spainish government. heard earlier that if the referendum is a big vote in favour, Catalonia may declare indepedence within 48 hrs. i can only see the current handling of the situation enraging moderate catalans and getting the vote out.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Wow, puts the police in a difficult position. Can’t be seen to attack other emergency services.
Not really as the Police and Garda Civil involved are from outside Catalonia. The local police are trying to keep their heads down there is one photo (which I can't now find) on social media of a local policeman crying and being comforted at what is happening.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This makes you realise what a civilised country the UK is. No wonder millions of continental Europeans wanted to move here.

Imagine the Scots or Welsh taking a referendum, against Westminster Parliament and the courts, then tens of thousands of British security forces sent in to maim those voting and those running the polling stations.

No surprise to me. As a young kid in POST Franco Spain, I saw a gang of Spanish police smash a solo young English tourist up with batons. Underneath the veneeer of civilisation, there's a intrinsic and cowardly brutality within some of their establishments.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Catalan has always wanted independance. Remember Andora was a part of Spain once.
But this vote is a bit of a farce. Madrid say it is illegal and have boat loads of police ready to raid every polling station and shut it down. You cant compare it with anything as it is a part of a country that want to go it alone. UK and the EU and Scotland and the UK are countries splitting away. Can you imagine Kent wanting to put up borders?

I can and would support it. It means that we would never play at Priestfield again unless we were in the Champions League and Gillingham qualified as the Republic of Kent champions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here