If meat eaters acted like vegans....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
c1d.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If only meat eaters could demand that the meat they want to consume be reared and slaughtered in a manner that would make everyone have no issues with it.

Any support for more humane welfare and slaughter is laudable but ultimately won't a vegan ALWAYS have issue with eating meat?

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Any support for more humane welfare and slaughter is laudable but ultimately won't a vegan ALWAYS have issue with eating meat?

I would love to be able to stop being a vegetarian. After 20 years I still remember the taste of shepards pie and kippers! My protest is only because the flesh industry is seriously ****ed up and I want no part of it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If only meat eaters could demand that the meat they want to consume be reared and slaughtered in a manner that would make everyone have no issues with it.

The method of rearing, the husbandry, the welfare, and the method of slaughtering the meat I eat makes absolutely no difference to my vegetarian daughter - she doesn't like the fact that the animal dies to be eaten.

I take my other daughter to the football.

(The one with a peanut allergy and who has coeliac's disease) :facepalm:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I would love to be able to stop being a vegetarian. After 20 years I still remember the taste of shepards pie and kippers! My protest is only because the flesh industry is seriously ****ed up and I want no part of it.

That's fair enough and I'm not knocking your principles but from your post it seems your issue isn't with the rights and wrongs of eating meat but the way the animal is reared and slaughtered. If so, and you found a reputable source, would you go back to eating meat?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To be fair, the one vegan in my social circle (that I know of anyway), is a thoroughly fine and upstanding sort, and not at all sanctimonious about the rest of us carnivores, nor is he somebody who glares disapprovingly at my food when I eat it. Equally, for my part, I wouldn't ever start wafting a rare steak right in his face and knocking his personal viewpoint on the matter :)

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
The method of rearing, the husbandry, the welfare, and the method of slaughtering the meat I eat makes absolutely no difference to my vegetarian daughter - she doesn't like the fact that the animal dies to be eaten.

(The one with a peanut allergy and has coeliac's disease) :facepalm:

Brilliant! Food is good as long as it's good food. The industrial meat companies need a shock in the head...when enough people reject their garbage they will have to take note.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
To be fair, the one vegan in my social circle (that I know of anyway), is a thoroughly fine and upstanding sort, and not at all sanctimonious about the rest of us carnivores, nor is he somebody who glares disapprovingly at my food when I eat it. Equally, for my part, I wouldn't ever start wafting a rare steak right in his face and knocking his personal viewpoint on the matter :)

He could do with a haircut though.:eek:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

(The one with a peanut allergy and who has coeliac's disease) :facepalm:

Those family dinners on long winter evenings must just fly past.....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In conclusion: I daresay there are some vegans who are annoying. But also, logic dictates, there will be FAR more annoying meat-eaters on this planet.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
In conclusion: I daresay there are some vegans who are annoying. But also, logic dictates, there will be FAR more annoying meat-eaters on this planet.

Can we go with a more blanket : "people on the whole are generally OK but some people are complete tools" ?

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
That's fair enough and I'm not knocking your principles but from your post it seems your issue isn't with the rights and wrongs of eating meat but the way the animal is reared and slaughtered. If so, and you found a reputable source, would you go back to eating meat?

I've eaten 'meat' twice in the last 20 years. Both times were foraging crabs and fishing. If it came to eating mammals or birds, I'd like to rear and despatch them myself. In an ideal world I wouldn't need to do that.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Brilliant! Food is good as long as it's good food. The industrial meat companies need a shock in the head...when enough people reject their garbage they will have to take note.

I've been avoiding the industrial meat companies for at least a decade. I buy direct from small holders, following organic, free-range principles. They are rarely Soil Association approved because they are way too small to justify the expense. This year I took 40% of the total lamb/mutton produced by the smallholder!

This is all well and good, but I also like to eat out, and there is way less control over where their meat is sourced!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Each to their own but Veganism is something I struggle to get my head round. I have chickens, they wander around the garden and lay an egg or two. I don't understand why a vegan wouldn't eat one of my eggs. I have two vegans in my team and whenever we're taken out by suppliers etc it seems painful for them to find something to eat - right down to ensuring the beer they are drinking is vegan suitable.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Those family dinners on long winter evenings must just fly past.....

I pretty much refuse to have all three kids at the same time. My son is lactose-intolerant.

Omelettes is the order of the day when I have them all. Or baked beans. Occasionally both.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Being a vegan or even vegetarian is really the preserve of relatively wealthy societies.
In poverty I think most would quickly abandon these privileged choices if it meant you could eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
NSC in overgeneralising about a particular faction in our society shocker. Whatever next? All cyclists are red light jumpers? All meat eaters are Tory voting red wine drinking bores?

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
I've been avoiding the industrial meat companies for at least a decade. I buy direct from small holders, following organic, free-range principles. They are rarely Soil Association approved because they are way too small to justify the expense. This year I took 40% of the total lamb/mutton produced by the smallholder!

This is all well and good, but I also like to eat out, and there is way less control over where their meat is sourced!

If everyone were like you we could all be proud of making food what it was and should be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here