Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Cotterill

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Makes some kind of perverse sense. Redknapp, with Coterrill as first team coach, came in and saved them in those last three games, last season. They then appoint Harry who proves a disaster, thus they've decided SC must have been the actual magic behind the great escape.

(rather than Huddersfield playing the reserves, to prep for the play-offs, and Bristol City getting pissed up after surviving against us...)

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
It still beggars belief that Stockdale went there, I just don't get it. Aside from the commute perhaps.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Isnt it a surprise that failed managers like Cotterell still keep getting another chance of a job, it wouldnt happen in another industry

I'm not standing up for Birmingham (as I think it is a poor appointment), but who else is there. If Karanka turned them down, they were really short of options. So far the new owners have sacked three managers in less than a year so it is not like they are giving managers time to change things.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
It still beggars belief that Stockdale went there, I just don't get it. Aside from the commute perhaps.

It was for his family, remember. He needed a longer term contract so more financial stability, it was nothing to do with money.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
It does seem strange that the Birmingham owners sacked Rowett because he wasn't internationally well-known or glamorous enough, and appointed Zola; then Redknapp at least is still well-known and arguably a 'big' manager; but now they've ended up with Steve Cotterill who is, erm, not internationally well known or glamorous at all.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm not standing up for Birmingham (as I think it is a poor appointment), but who else is there. If Karanka turned them down, they were really short of options. So far the new owners have sacked three managers in less than a year so it is not like they are giving managers time to change things.

I would have taken the Mike Bamber route and gone for a recently retired ex player and given him his first job. Possibly Lampard, Ferdinand or even Terry as player manager or possibly one of the know all TV Pundits.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Jota signed a 4 year deal on £40k a week.
Tough to imagine Stockdale was offered the change wedged into the back of a sofa.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It was for his family, remember. He needed a longer term contract so more financial stability, it was nothing to do with money.
I think you'll find the real reason was that Birmingham's fans appeared "passionate" on the last day of last season at Bristol City.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Steve “excuse” Cotterill.

Did a great job for us on loan only to let himself down by being a silly sausage as a manager.Recall post match interviews of “if the shots had gone in, we’d have scored and won the game”

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I would have taken the Mike Bamber route and gone for a recently retired ex player and given him his first job. Possibly Lampard, Ferdinand or even Terry as player manager or possibly one of the know all TV Pundits.

Certainly would have been a more interesting appointment. Cotterill did do well at Cheltenham and Bristol City but has failed more often than succeeded. Given that and Birmingham's owners seeming pretty clueless, I would be surprised if he lasts the season

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Certainly would have been a more interesting appointment. Cotterill did do well at Cheltenham and Bristol City but has failed more often than succeeded. Given that and Birmingham's owners seeming pretty clueless, I would be surprised if he lasts the season

He always seems to struggle in the championship.

Good at L1 and L2 level though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think you'll find the real reason was that Birmingham's fans appeared "passionate" on the last day of last season at Bristol City.

That too, and definitely nothing to do with money, just financial stability for his family.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here