Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Women vs Durham, Sunday 1st Oct 12pm

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I know most of you will be either going to or watching the Arsenal vs Brighton mens match this Sunday, but the Women are also playing at the same time at Culver Road, Lancing.

Advance tickets are : Adult - £8, 65+/Under 16 - £4, Family of 4 (2 Adults, 2 Under 16s) - £16

Prices on the day increase to : Adult - £10, 65+/Under 16 - £5

https://www.seagullstickets.com/en-...=d1f00828-29ba-4385-bf2b-eb679b84aacb&type=ba

Looking forward to seeing how the team play in Hope Powells first game properly in charge. See you there (hopefully!) :albion2:

Z

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm hoping to get to one of the ladies games this season, my daughter is mad keen to go. Won't be this week as her matches are on Sunday's too, but we'll get up one week. Good win away at Villa last week.

Read in the papers yesterday that they're switching the WSL set-up around next season (again) - at the moment there are 10 teams in WSL 1 and 10 in WSL 2, next season there will be 14 in WSL 1 but all have to be full-time, WSL 2 will be for part-time teams. Do we know if Brighton are, or plan to be, full-time? I'd be surprised if we weren't aiming for that top table, applications for the new league setup due in November

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I'm hoping to get to one of the ladies games this season, my daughter is mad keen to go. Won't be this week as her matches are on Sunday's too, but we'll get up one week. Good win away at Villa last week.

Read in the papers yesterday that they're switching the WSL set-up around next season (again) - at the moment there are 10 teams in WSL 1 and 10 in WSL 2, next season there will be 14 in WSL 1 but all have to be full-time, WSL 2 will be for part-time teams. Do we know if Brighton are, or plan to be, full-time? I'd be surprised if we weren't aiming for that top table, applications for the new league setup due in November

Was an excellent start to the campaign last week - lets hope they can keep it up this weekend too :)

According to Hope Powell the aim is to be in WSL 1 and they are reviewing the criteria : https://sentherforward.wordpress.co...targeting-super-league-1-licence-hope-powell/

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

It's still in the throes of growing at the club.

Brighton, being in the WSL2, are therefore one of the top 20 clubs in the country. The club has to show its credentials to the FA in order to play in the WSL - including showing it has a fuill-blown supportive infrastructure in place, including a dedicated board, a member of that board on the club's main board of directors, appropriate football administrators, coaches, playing staff, youth team workers and so on. It did that straight after the Sporting Albion play-off 17 months ago.

An expanded WSL would mean Brighton would be part of that - barring an appalling crash-and-burn on pitch this season. In exactly the same way as the men, the club is fully committed to getting the women's team as high as it possibly can. Sky / FA seem to have other ideas, sadly - like putting the women on at the same time as the men, and refusing to move the fixture.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Do the club get any say in the kick-off times for these fixtures, it seems really silly kicking off at exactly the same time as the men's team will be on TV vs Arsenal.

Could they have got an agreement to kick off at 2pm so people could watch the men in the clubhouse and then step outside and watch the women or are kick-off times fixed as 12?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Do the club get any say in the kick-off times for these fixtures, it seems really silly kicking off at exactly the same time as the men's team will be on TV vs Arsenal.

Could they have got an agreement to kick off at 2pm so people could watch the men in the clubhouse and then step outside and watch the women or are kick-off times fixed as 12?

Paul Barber said on the Roar that we tried to change it and the FA refused.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Here's a short clip of that very FA meeting .

990584ce11a28606b47b78e9014d007b.jpg

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It's still in the throes of growing at the club.

Brighton, being in the WSL2, are therefore one of the top 20 clubs in the country. The club has to show its credentials to the FA in order to play in the WSL - including showing it has a fuill-blown supportive infrastructure in place, including a dedicated board, a member of that board on the club's main board of directors, appropriate football administrators, coaches, playing staff, youth team workers and so on. It did that straight after the Sporting Albion play-off 17 months ago.

An expanded WSL would mean Brighton would be part of that - barring an appalling crash-and-burn on pitch this season. In exactly the same way as the men, the club is fully committed to getting the women's team as high as it possibly can. Sky / FA seem to have other ideas, sadly - like putting the women on at the same time as the men, and refusing to move the fixture.

We're one of the top twenty at the moment, but finishing position will dictate nothing next year unless we fulfil the criteria, i.e. being full-time. I'm hopeful we do that, the youth set up for girls at Brighton seems very good. But, although the twenty clubs will get the first opportunity to apply for one of the 14 places in WS1 next year, and places in the part-time WS2, any other club in the country can apply for a place from the spring, meaning that 'big' mens-clubs currently without a ladies team, notably Man Utd, and also Southampton, could create a team and jump straight into one of the top two tiers of the ladies pyramid rather than starting from the bottom. The FA seem to be encouraging that

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
BTW If you've bought a season ticket for the Womens games and it hasn't arrived in time (like mine), the club have said the following:

We will advise those on the gate at Culver Road that you have purchased a season ticket and we shall provide them with a list of names of those who have purchased. For this reason please take some I.D. with you alongside your proof of purchase.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Sorry to be missing this tomorrow. I really enjoy these games, but they just always seem to clash with "other stuff". And so few games as well. With just 10 teams in the league, couldn't they do what they do in Scotland and play each other twice?

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Is it possible to opt out of correspondence re womens game...got e mail today saying new manager,thought WTF surely not, them find out it`s women. Hear on TV England playing ???? think wow didn`t know about that and then find it`s women.
Not interested.. Email should have said Women have new manager...(ok it does but only when opened)

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Is it possible to opt out of correspondence re womens game...got e mail today saying new manager,thought WTF surely not, them find out it`s women. Hear on TV England playing ???? think wow didn`t know about that and then find it`s women.
Not interested.. Email should have said Women have new manager...(ok it does but only when opened)[/QUOTE

https://goo.gl/images/B14Qw1

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here