Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your most expensive round of drinks

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Driven by the bordrline alcohilc thread and the annoying Facebook advert pushing craft beer at extortinate prices (they must have drunk in an expensive pub) What's the most expensive single round that you have ever ordered in a pub/club environment? I'm not talking expenses here, or a present of posh champagne for someone as a present - it must be funded by you, in a pub/bar. Have you ever bought the entire pub a drink (when it's crowded, not when there is yourself and 2 other bar-flys).

Mine was £119 in about 2003. Beers and shots for a party of about 20 people.I expect that figure to be smashed out of sight.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
At a wedding my now-wife said to me "I'm just going to the bar, shall I take the joint account?". "Sure", I said.

I will ALWAYS have the image in my head of her staggering back, holding a tray of about 30 jagerbombs and offering them round. I reckon that was £100.

It's weird. It was almost so ridiculous and (being tight) I was so ribbed about for the rest of the night, that it actually made it quite funny for me.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Paid about 100 quid in a place in Soho for 3 beers about 15 years ago. The guy asking for the money didn't look the type who wanted to negotiate.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
£58 in Brown's in Brighton, about 10 years ago. We were out for dinner and stopped in there afterwards, maybe 8-10 of us? Anyway I said I'd get the first one - thinking we would be in there for a while. Oh no. That was when "not gonna be here long, just gonna get our own now" crap started coming out :facepalm:

Like I say, that was about 10 years ago and haven't bought the first round since!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
In a flush of drunken generosity/stupidity some years ago, when the free bar ran out at a friend's wedding I gave the barman my credit card and told him to use it to pay for everyone's drinks for the rest of the night. There were probably around 30-40 guests left at that stage. Incredibly when I came to settle up the bill was 'only' about £380 - I was braced for much worse. Apparently not everyone drank at the same rate as I did...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
In a flush of drunken generosity/stupidity some years ago, when the free bar ran out at a friend's wedding I gave the barman my credit card and told him to pay for everyone's drinks with it for the rest of the night. There were probably around 30-40 guests left at that stage. Incredibly when I cam to settle up the bill was 'only' about £380 - I was braced for much worse. Apparently not everyone drank at the same rate as I did...

ithink people dont take the piss on someone elses card... unless works drinks... i've been to do's where about the same number have hit a £2k limit before i left at ~9. very much doubles/trebles all round.

i dont recall a huge one, maybe in the 30's, then not buying a drink the rest of the night so fair dos.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The Lygon Arms, Broadway.

1xVodka and tonic
1xBacardi and coke
2xBottles of Becks

Total £32.40

:lolol:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I paid around 75 euros for 4 drinks at a hotel in Barcelona about 2 years ago. If i'd known they were charging around 8 euros for one of those pissy little bottles of coke as a mixer I'd have made 1 last the 2 drinks I had.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
In a flush of drunken generosity/stupidity some years ago, when the free bar ran out at a friend's wedding I gave the barman my credit card and told him to use it to pay for everyone's drinks for the rest of the night. There were probably around 30-40 guests left at that stage. Incredibly when I came to settle up the bill was 'only' about £380 - I was braced for much worse. Apparently not everyone drank at the same rate as I did...

lol - did similar at my wife's 40th birthday bash. Came to the end of the meal and i was too pissed to be able to divvie up the bill - ended up shoving £300 on my credit card. However - technically not a 'round'

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Probably when I got everyone in my team at work a beer in an expensive hotel bar in Galway. It was SUPPOSED to be on expenses but I managed to lose the effing receipt :facepalm:

Other than that "birthday rounds" in the Welly before I had kids.

Working in India once a mate of mine got well and truly stitched. We arrived on a Friday night so that we could have a weekend round the hotel pool to get aclimitised (we were out there for a month). On Saturday we discovered there was a pool bar so, by about 4pm, my mate offered to get a round in. We could see they had Tiger so everyone (five of us) ordered a small bottle of Tiger. It turns out that Tamil Nadu places a massive purchase tax on all foreign alcohol that is not applicable on the local stuff. Tiger was over £8 a beer so he got stitched with a round of over £40. The barman then explained to us that local beer (Kingfisher being the only palatable one) was "very very cheap". We drank Kingfisher for the rest of the month.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I paid £48 for 4 jager bombs in a club in London once

Also, went to the Rocking Horse in Worthing and paid £33 for three G&Ts - most pretentious place I've been outside of London! No word of a lie when i say it took 10-15 mins to pour 3 drinks. You'd think it was a ****ing science experiment.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
After meeting people I met in Greece in holiday I travelled to Stockholm to meet up with them and some of the their friends.
We went to a bar and I stupidly offered to get the first round in.
They looked at me as if I did not know what I was doing, but I insisted.
Ouch £80 and that was about 15 years ago.
I was a lager drinker in those days and they had this brew called Spenderups, very nice it was too.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Probably about £100 at the arse end of a heavy evening/night of drinking. Seemed worth it at the time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Probably about £100 at the arse end of a heavy evening/night of drinking. Seemed worth it at the time.

There are those times where you really want one more drink but you know that to do so, you're going to have to buy (or at least offer to buy) a fair few other people a drink, and you know you'll not get it back. That's always an expensive drink.

I have no idea what my answer to this question is. NSC has certainly bought some big rounds, but I'm not sure about me personally.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm not sure that qualifies, as it's not a round in the general meaning of the term.

(Well played though)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
In about 1977, when I was a young sailor, I bought three half pints from a bar on Monte Carlo seafront. At the time I was earning about £40 a fortnight, the round cost me £35. I needed a drink to get over the shock, it was a very short run ashore.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
In about 1977, when I was a young sailor, I bought three half pints from a bar on Monte Carlo seafront. At the time I was earning about £40 a fortnight, the round cost me £35. I needed a drink to get over the shock, it was a very short run ashore.

well played sir - loving the cost as a % of earnings angle...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here