Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the Daily Mail be closed down.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Although it's an obnoxious rag, it's no worse than the Sun, and Express, and I don't buy any of them, so, I really don't care.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For what reason? Putting common decency and quality etc aside, what crime have they committed?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Have they done something in particular or is this a general question?

The answer is probably no. They've as much freedom to spout their shite as the next rag.

Until comparatively recently l was a great advocate of the freedom of the press and would have agreed with you, however, in the case of any publication owned by the odious Rupert Murdoch, and the Daily Mail in particular . . .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Can the OP provide a reason for such drastic action? I loathe the DM, but that's not a particularly good reason to close it down. I think there should be limits to free speech, and that the whole notion is over-fetishised by many, but the DM hasn't crossed any boundaries.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The only real reason to is if they had been used as a tool of a hostile foreign power to subvert our democracy.

I see no evidence of this, though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is a democracy with free speech. The best outcome is that the Daily Mail change its editorial policy and start reporting sensibly, but that won't happen.

A lot of people like something to moan about and the DM is excellent at satisfying their readers innate lust for bigoted sh1te.

The DM in itself is not the problem, it's the way in which it sets the agenda and their views are discussed in the media, i.e. phone-in shows, Sky News Paper Reviews. In this way their harsh views are treated as credible and plausible, and are therefore 'normalised'. The same can be said of the Daily Express.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I've always thought they had really good football results pages on Sunday, so it's a no from me.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No. Dead tree papers are dying anyway, so it'll all go online within the next 15 years anyway for the nationals. Then it comes down to their website offering.

The Mail, Guardian, Independent & Telegraph should easily survive that transition. The others? Not convinced.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
what do you think.

No. Why is everybody so much in a rush to ban everything that they don't agree with. Just don't buy it. I wouldn't anyway, just like I have never bought the Sun or Mirror. If enough people don't like them they will die organically, but they survive so obviously there is enough people to buy them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here