Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool object to Sky moving Arsenal match to Christmas Eve

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...sports-plan-switch-arsenal-game-christmas-eve

Liverpool are objecting to a proposal by Sky Sports to switch their Premier League game at Arsenal to Christmas Eve, a plan that has been accused of showing “zero regard for supporters”.

The Anfield club are aware of the proposal to move their trip to the Emirates Stadium from Saturday 23 December to Sunday 24 December with a 4pm kick-off. Liverpool have registered strong opposition to the Premier League and the broadcaster, arguing it would be prohibitive for supporters to have to travel to London on Christmas Eve. The last train from London Euston to Liverpool leaves at 9.21pm that day and will only arrive at Lime Street in the early hours of Christmas Day.

Liverpool will continue to voice their opposition to the proposals before Sky Sports announces its festive schedule next month. However, it is the Premier League which will decide whether the disruptive fixture goes ahead. Sky Sports are paying £11m per Premier League game under the current broadcasting deal and it is believed their preference is to have a live match on Christmas Eve.

Obviously think this is a disgrace in forcing fans to do this, but does this also raise the prospect of our game (Watford to Brighton and back being an easier trip) filling the gap? None of the other games seem an easy fix...

Arsenal v Liverpool
Brighton & Hove Albion v Watford
Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur
Everton v Chelsea
Leicester City v Manchester United
Manchester City v AFC Bournemouth
Southampton v Huddersfield Town
Stoke City v West Bromwich Albion
Swansea City v Crystal Palace
West Ham United v Newcastle United

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...sports-plan-switch-arsenal-game-christmas-eve

Obviously think this is a disgrace in forcing fans to do this, but does this also raise the prospect of our game (Watford to Brighton and back being an easier trip) filling the gap? None of the other games seem an easy fix...

Arsenal v Liverpool
Brighton & Hove Albion v Watford
Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur
Everton v Chelsea
Leicester City v Manchester United
Manchester City v AFC Bournemouth
Southampton v Huddersfield Town
Stoke City v West Bromwich Albion
Swansea City v Crystal Palace
West Ham United v Newcastle United

Good on Liverpool.

On the face of it it does look as though our game would be the natural stocking filler, as it were. Alternatively Sky could f**k off and not have a game on Christmas Eve.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Everyone should get behind Liverpool on this one. Disgracefull to expect Liverpool fans to come to and get home from London for 4pm match on Christmas Eve.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Leicester v Man U

It's not that far back from Leicester to Milton Keynes.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Good on Liverpool.

On the face of it it does look as though our game would be the natural stocking filler, as it were. Alternatively Sky could f**k off and not have a game on Christmas Eve.

i'm inclined to agree after their trial by media effort on TH.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Stick Stoke v West Brom on Xmas Eve. Then the country can all forget about football that day and go and get pissed with the family.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Stoke vs. West Brom. is the obvious choice. With Liverpool all the way on this one.

Besides, do we need a football match on Christmas Eve anyway? Most of us have plenty of other things to do on that particular day.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton

It doesn't force fans to do anything. I've long been a believer in the idea that the fans are unpaid extras in the whole Premier League drama so they should boycott the game and enjoy Xmas Eve instead. I'm sure the Premier League and Sky would love a huge gaping hole in the stands at the Emirates and even less atmosphere than usual (if that were possible).

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm in my forties, but for me, Christmas Eve has always been the day when I like to close the door, get all cosy inside with some Xmas TV and Xmas snacks, and as it gets dark, get excited about Santa arriving (ok not the last bit). The thought of being anywhere in a car, or on public transport, getting stressed/squashed by other travellers is not a good thought. So I have absolute sympathy for Liverpool fans. I'd choose reindeer socks and nut crackers every time.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If Sky decided to show the Brighton v Watford game, there are both negatives and positives to this.

Negative

Sunday train and bus service, plus earlier closing down on services, so those that like to stay behind hand have a drink or two, may find they need to skip this, or down the drinks quicker.
Large number of no shows due to family commitments

Positive

The Chelsea Boxing Day game would be put back 24 hours, thereby making it far easier to get to London in the train, albeit a Sunday service

I can't see Sky wanting to give up a Sunday slot and are barred from showing an additional game on Saturday due to BT Slot at 5.30, the blackout in place between 3 and 5.15 and also Police will not give go ahead for Saturday 8pm kick off.

Therefore although I don't support it, I can see one game being moved to Christmas Eve. Swansea v Palace looks a good choice

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Bit harsh to blame Sky.... as recently as 1965 we had fixtures in England on Christmas Day!

xmas-1.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Quite apart from the flagrant disregard for the travelling fans, who wants to watch football on Christmas Eve ? My missus would go BOOLOO

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here