Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Carlton Cole thread...?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's probably a bigger shock actually playing for Palarse, given their 'nil punt' pantomime issues.
Indonesian football must be a better prospect than pony n trap football :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As I said before Hemed's ban, I'm not going to laugh at Palace's striker issue when we're in exactly the same boat.

There's something bizarre that our two clubs, awash with Premier League millions, both find themselves without an available senior striker before September is even out, but at least they left a squad place free so they could look at bringing in a free agent.

Hindsight is great but with it looking very unlikely that Jiri Skalak is going to feature, could we not have done the same?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
As I said before Hemed's ban, I'm not going to laugh at Palace's striker issue when we're in exactly the same boat.

There's something bizarre that our two clubs, awash with Premier League millions, both find themselves without an available senior striker before September is even out, but at least they left a squad place free so they could look at bringing in a free agent.

Hindsight is great but with it looking very unlikely that Jiri Skalak is going to feature, could we not have done the same?

Surely it's more a sign of the weakness of the academy, Man U had to play Rashford though a combination of injuries, suspension and having nobody else and that didn't work out too badly. Ideal time to throw a youngster in and see if they sink or swim

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

We would have had to have loaned out or sold Jiri as you can only leave a squad place free if you have less than 25 players in total.

As Ahannach is also over 21 then a 2nd player would also have to have gone, as moving out Skalak would have meant Ahannach having to take the place in the 25, rather than leaving the 25th place free.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
This is terrible news for us Brighton fans, if they sign Cole or Lambert we will no doubt see the return of The Raver who will add this quality signing to further illustrate his previous statement

" [The Raver]We beat the bigger teams like Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal last season, so I am pretty sure we will still finish above you, you only have to look at the quality of the 2 squads to tell that."

How can we compete with such class?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Surely it's more a sign of the weakness of the academy, Man U had to play Rashford though a combination of injuries, suspension and having nobody else and that didn't work out too badly. Ideal time to throw a youngster in and see if they sink or swim

I totally agree. If you have been in the PL for five years or so, the level of your strikers in your Academy should be at least good enough to cover a 6 week period.

Carlton Cole FFS - He couldn't hit the net of a 50 foot fishing trawler

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We would have had to have loaned out or sold Jiri as you can only leave a squad place free if you have less than 25 players in total.

As Ahannach is also over 21 then a 2nd player would also have to have gone, as moving out Skalak would have meant Ahannach having to take the place in the 25, rather than leaving the 25th place free.

Is that right? If you have an over-21 and a space in your squad he MUST be named in it? You can't leave him out so that you have the chance to fill it later?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is that right? If you have an over-21 and a space in your squad he MUST be named in it? You can't leave him out so that you have the chance to fill it later?
Yes. You can only leave a space free in the 25 if you have less than 25 players who are over 21.

We currently have 26, so 2 would have had to have gone to leave 1 space free.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes. You can only leave a space in the 25 if you have less than 25 players who are over 21.

We currently have 26, so 2 would have had to have gone to leave 1 space free.

Fair enough.

So Palace didn't intentionally "leave a space" they just had a space.

Every day is a school day.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

We should of.

Hopefully Brown can step right up but we should of left a space of the cluster f * ck .

Still winds me up that whole failure

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Fair enough.

So Palace didn't intentionally "leave a space" they just had a space.

Every day is a school day.
Yes, I didn't realise this either until recently.

Palace could of course have left the space free tactically rather than by incompetance of course...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I totally agree. If you have been in the PL for five years or so, the level of your strikers in your Academy should be at least good enough to cover a 6 week period.

Carlton Cole FFS - He couldn't hit the net of a 50 foot fishing trawler

Nicely put....Ernest is still dreaming about JC playing up front ...i would have thought on the left more likely

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

We do have Izzy brown who has played as a forward many times in his short career. So we are not quite as desperate!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am puzzled as to how any of them can play for Palace or indeed us if we were interested as they are not in the named 25, Can somebody explain. I realize that they are unattached as at 1st Sept so can sign but how can they be eligible to play for anybody in The Premier League.

PS Sorry just read the whole thread and it is explained

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] Although the 2 situations look similar (and are) the key difference is the form of the team this has come on top of. Palace have (as we are aware) had a poor start to the season, so this is the turd icing on a shit cake. The Albion have had a decent start, and despite not getting the striker target(s) we were after we've scored goals, got points and losing Hemed doesn't feel so much like a disaster, more a chance to shuffle the pack a bit and get Brown / Izquierdo into the action.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Yes, I didn't realise this either until recently.

Palace could of course have left the space free tactically rather than by incompetance of course...

You have to presume that Palace's 25th spot was expected to be filled by Oumar Niasse, but for the deal collapsing after the transfer deadline.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here