Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's ok.

His mates are looking after him.

england.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Big up, played a superb innings given the situation. We all make mistakes, if we learn from them and move on all the better.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Finally someone stepping into Botham's boots, on and off the pitch, we need people like him.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
An absolute hero. Not just today, player of the tournament for us imo.

Made some mistakes but who hasn't?

I remember him as the bloke who took time out between overs to sign an autograph for my son on the boundary during an ODI v India at Headingley.

Stokes had been struggling with the bat but got 60 odd that day. My son (about 7 years old at the time) said "Back in the runs Ben!" and he signed his mini bat and said "Well, it's about time isn't it!" and winked at him.

You've never seen a happier child as when he ran back up to tell me what had happened.

So happy for Stokes. It's more than redemption.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
An absolute hero. Not just today, player of the tournament for us imo.

Made some mistakes but who hasn't?

I remember him as the bloke who took time out between overs to sign an autograph for my son on the boundary during an ODI v India at Headingley.

Stokes had been struggling with the bat but got 60 odd that day. My son (about 7 years old at the time) said "Back in the runs Ben!" and he signed his mini bat and said "Well, it's about time isn't it!" and winked at him.

You've never seen a happier child as when he ran back up to tell me what had happened.

So happy for Stokes. It's more than redemption.

As I said, about time we found a new Botham, he had his shenanigans to, but we all loved him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Stokes is the X Factor for the England cricket team, and that MOTM performance today is the perfect way to boost confidence going into the Ashes.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Stokes is the X Factor for the England cricket team, and that MOTM performance today is the perfect way to boost confidence going into the Ashes.
Stokes, Roy, Archer. All will play a part in SMASHING the Australians in the Ashes.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Just checked. He's alright.

winner.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Stokes, Roy, Archer. All will play a part in SMASHING the Australians in the Ashes.

It's going to be very interesting how England go into the Ashes.

We played our last test with Jennings and Burns opening the batting with Denly at 3.

Can Roy withstand the technical examination that the first session of a test match throws at you? Would you stick with Burns who was better over the winter to open with Roy, Bairstow at 3, Root coming in at 4?

Starc and Cummins looked in particularly good nick, and England's up front batting over the winter in the long form was pretty dreadful.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
It's going to be very interesting how England go into the Ashes.

We played our last test with Jennings and Burns opening the batting with Denly at 3.

Can Roy withstand the technical examination that the first session of a test match throws at you? Would you stick with Burns who was better over the winter to open with Roy, Bairstow at 3, Root coming in at 4?

Starc and Cummins looked in particularly good nick, and England's up front batting over the winter in the long form was pretty dreadful.

"Technical examination"? I am pretty keen follower of the Cricket as with most sports but I'm by no means even an armchair expert.....so can someone just explain to me what the main differences are between playing short form one day stuff and Test cricket? I mean in terms of what different challenges you face as a bowler or a batsman and thus why one player might be a superb one day player like Roy but would not automatically be considered for the 5 day game?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's interesting to see the trajectories of both the main protagonists that night in Bristol (Stokes and Hales) in the time since, and where they are at the end of this world cup. One is on top of the world, the other seemingly a long, long way from being so.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"Technical examination"? I am pretty keen follower of the Cricket as with most sports but I'm by no means even an armchair expert.....so can someone just explain to me what the main differences are between playing short form one day stuff and Test cricket? I mean in terms of what different challenges you face as a bowler or a batsman and thus why one player might be a superb one day player like Roy but would not automatically be considered for the 5 day game?

One Day International:
Fielding restrictions
Max no. of overs bowlers can bowl
White ball
50 overs innings
1 bouncer per over

Test Match:
No fielding restrictions
No max number of overs a bowler can bowl
Red ball (more movement through the air - swing and reverse swing) changed every 80 overs
5 days to bat and bowl the opposition out twice to win.
2 bouncers per over

In a test match over 5 days you have the potential to play for 450 overs. To be all out within 50 overs is a bit of a disaster, even a score of say 320, excellent as a one day total, is fragile in a test match. The condition of the ball is therefore much more important to the game as after say 30 or 40 overs it becomes easier to play, but as a new ball up to 30 overs, it can be very difficult, it's therefore paramount to have wickets in hand. Bowlers can therefore set plans and fields to a particular batmen's weakness, and these can be exposed far more readily in test cricket than they can in the One Day game.

You have a weakness identified in Test cricket that you don't have the technical skills to correct, that's it, you will be examined on that weakness ball after ball. That just doesn't happen in the same way in limited overs, especially with openers facing the new ball.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
in one day faster pace, there's a lot more emphasis on getting you out while the batsman is smashing the ball around. in tests the bowler will as likely keep the run rate down, or try lulling you into a traps (bowl different lengths, more fielding in the slips), while the batsman will patiently build a score over hours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here