Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scoring with the last kick of the game

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How often does this happen with, literally, the last kick of the game?

Chelsea just scored to make it 2-1 and complete a come back at Atletico, and that was that. Game over.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Chelsea deserved it. What a player Hazard is.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Didn't Bolton equalise at the AMEX with the last kick once ?

Nope - I think we kicked off and possibly someone shot straight away if memory serves me correctly...

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Many, many years ago, I read that, at some point in the dim and distant past, there was an incident that made the FA decree that a game couldn't end with a goal, though this doesn't seem to be the case any more.

The incident in question was something like this: evening match, third division (north), 1930/40/50s?, one team 'scored' with final kick to win the game, but ref disallowed goal and blew for time. The players didn't realise it was disallowed. Neither did the press stringer there, who told the news agencies it was (say) 2-1 not 1-1, league tables were updated as though it was 2-1, the ref didn't know because he lived far away and most papers went to press before results came through anyway, the league (at the time) didn't keep rolling league tables .... roll on the end of the season, the 'winning' team think they've escaped relegation but they haven't (or maybe the 'losing' team thought they'd been relegated but hadn't), and it only came to light during the close season when some clerk at the Football League gets around to collating the official league tables.

As a result - a decision that, so no-one can be in any doubt of the result, a match cannot end with a goal; there must be a kick-off is a goal is scored with what would be the last kick.

I'm sure I read this, but a long time ago. Can someone corroborate the story and at least confirm that I didn't dream it?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Golden goal paint pot comp.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Didn't we do this at home to forest a few years back? I remember 94 minutes of tedium and then a goal and the whistle.

My memory told me Vincelot but the stats say Buckley Dec 2011, maybe Vincelot passed to Buckley to score. I remember this mostly as when we got to the station loads of people were depressed on the platform because we drew 0-0.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Not quite the last kick, almost but still one of my favourite Albion moments, take a bow Dean Wilkins.

Probably one of a handfull of games i remember from my youth , love the steward giving the ipswich fans some after the wilkins goal .:lolol:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Nope - I think we kicked off and possibly someone shot straight away if memory serves me correctly...

I remember it as ,in something like the 98th minute, we had a goal kick and Kuszcak (sp) only had to blast it upfield and out of play but it fell to Bolton who scored Turned out 1-1.!st or 2nd season at the Amex.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
For a moment I wondered if the goal was not given and the ref had blown whistle before ball went in, as all 5 officials went to line up in centre circle straight away!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here