Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier League Golden Years

Apr 14, 2016
Feels like a great time to be here, a real test for us and a great learning opportunity with the standard being so high.

The top teams are winning 5-0 most weeks (except against us... yet!), we have some truly world class players and managers and English teams seem to finally be doing well in Europe. The spotlight is definitely on the PL right now and this can only be a good thing for the club.

While it poses more of a challenge in some ways, I feel like we can learn a lot and if we stay up we’ll be all the better for it. Besides – the standard of the Championship looks only to be rising too, so it's great to be out of that dog fight for the time being.

Long may it continue but even if we go down, what a treat this is! :clap:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I tend to feel the opposite, to be honest, given the gulf between the top 2 or 3 clubs and the rest.

Man City have won their last 3 games 5-0, 6-0, 5-0. That doesn't seem like a sporting contest - more like a turkey shoot funded by a bottomless pit of Middle Eastern money. When City turned up at the Amex with a back four that cost more than our entire 25-man squad AND our stadium, you start to wonder what you are watching.

Yes, I agree that it is great to be in the PL, but I wonder how long it will be before it is no different to the SPL in terms of a sporting contest.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Besides – the standard of the Championship looks only to be rising too
As far as I know, PL teams can make a profit, whilst Championship teams have to burn money to compete, which they do as the prize is so great - so yes, it does seem that the Championship just gets tougher each year. There are so many Championship clubs spending a fortune right now. The gap between the top clubs in the Championship and the bottom teams in the PL doesn't seem great. And the gap between the bottom of the PL and middle doesn't seem like much either, it's only the top of the PL that's in a completely different class.

We're favourites to be relegated (if you discount Palace, which everyone seems to do), but still our chances of survival are far higher than the chances of being promoted again should we drop. Which just highlights how important the fight is this season.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
The Premier League has never been all that.

Got worse every year given money dictates how you do.

Only 3 clubs that will only ever win it

HoraceHorrible

Sep 26, 2017
East Grinstead
I hate the premier league. I love it inside the stadium on game day, it's a dream come true. It's the outside i can't stand, the pundits, sponsorship, TV rights, transfers etc. The politics of the premier league ruin it for me. On the day though, when the whistle blows, I forget all that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here