Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cuba

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Going next week , a couple of days in Havana then off to Varadero.

Any tips, must do's, or don'ts form you well travelled people??

bristo

Apr 8, 2010
East Preston
Depends what you like. Havana: pretty much anything at Gran Theatro for the experience if you like cultural things. In Plaza Vieja there's a coffee house ,Escorial, in one corner that roasts the best coffee in Havana (in my opinion) and opposite a bar that brews it's own (very decent) beer. Hemmingway's Floridita bar for a mojito. There's live music everywhere in the evenings (everywhere), try Paris Bar maybe, cheap food there too. Don't expect things to run smoothly or work properly and remember that most of the locals live in poverty pretty much. A US $ tip is massive for them. Take kids toothbrushes, toiletries, (check online for other items they can't get hold of eg sewing machine needles) and make someone's day with a little gift. The USA still have a blockade on their imports and with Trump it cannot get better. The invasion/revolution museum for the Che and Fidel fix. If it's sun and sand you are going for Then Varadero is fine but remember ,5* doesn't mean 5* in Cuba. Enjoy it for what it is....an ideology struggling with very little help from anywhere and indeed very little of it's own at the moment. But listen to the music and dance the salsa!

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Went in July, lovely country . Take any old clothes that you have and give away over there along with some cheap colouring pens . Just enjoy the laid back lifestyle and get used to 'Cuba time' whilst drinking rum and smoking cigars

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This was always so much better live. They used to run it into "Generals and Majors" and improvise the f**k out of it. Damn I miss XTC gigs.

1977 New Regent, supporting Siouxie. I was in the green flying suit with spikey hair and eye liner punk:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Probably didn't see them til late 78/early 79. Guess I saw them a dozen times or more. One of the best live bands I ever saw. The songs changed slightly every time I saw them

Shame the poor bugger, AP, got stage fright. Yes, tip top band. Loved them :cheers:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Went about 5 years ago - all inclusive. Best bit was when I broke out for the day and had some time talking and drinking with locals - great cultural differences but nice people.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I believe Varadero got particularly hard hit by Irma. Anything you can take for the locals would be appreciated. I'm a member of a Facebook page for a resort in Jibacoa, halfway between Havana and Varadero and at one point they were saying don't plan to go to Varadero for two years, it was such a mess. But these Cubans are extremely resourceful people and they work hard - they had some resorts fully open again within a week or so. May be some trees without branches though!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I believe Varadero got particularly hard hit by Irma. Anything you can take for the locals would be appreciated. I'm a member of a Facebook page for a resort in Jibacoa, halfway between Havana and Varadero and at one point they were saying don't plan to go to Varadero for two years, it was such a mess. But these Cubans are extremely resourceful people and they work hard - they had some resorts fully open again within a week or so. May be some trees without branches though!

Yes our hotel was hit by Irma and it did make us think twice about going, but I believe what will be will be, so we are still going.
We know a lot of people have pulled out but we are aware they rely on tourism, so we are still going.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Depends what you like. Havana: pretty much anything at Gran Theatro for the experience if you like cultural things. In Plaza Vieja there's a coffee house ,Escorial, in one corner that roasts the best coffee in Havana (in my opinion) and opposite a bar that brews it's own (very decent) beer. If it's sun and sand you are going for Then Varadero is fine but remember ,5* doesn't mean 5* in Cuba. Enjoy it for what it is....an ideology struggling with very little help from anywhere and indeed very little of it's own at the moment. But listen to the music and dance the salsa!
Definitely visit the bar. Went a couple of years ago and very good ale brewed on the premises and decent food as well. Tip well and ask for the personal ash tray as a souvenir. The square is in the 'Old Town' area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here