Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Big Six get even greedier...

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Obviously the big teams should get more money. The others just make up the numbers; cannon fodder. How can teams like regular Premier League winners Tottenham compete with Barcelona and PSG if they don't rip off the makeweights?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm struggling to fathom how they think they can convince the other clubs into thinking this is a good idea.

How exactly is this a positive change for anyone else?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The "big 6" should form their own league, repetitive Celtic v Rangers anyone

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Having read the article, I'm not sure I could complain about this given the precedent that UK TV money is already divided in the same way.

If that hadn't happened, I could find issue, but it has.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Because UK TV money is already divided in the same way?

Why is that justification for further extending the wealth gap between clubs? And why does that have any bearing on as to whether other clubs would think its a good idea?

As you say, domestic TV money is already partially dependent on league position. Extending this to international TV money makes it more or less fair, depending on which way you look at it. I don't see why domestic TV money being partially distributed according to league position is justification for extending this to international TV money. It would only serve to amplify the gap between the top 6 and the rest of the league, which I don't think is a good idea.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why is that justification for further extending the wealth gap between clubs? And why does that have any bearing on as to whether other clubs would think its a good idea?

As you say, domestic TV money is already partially dependent on league position. Extending this to international TV money makes it more or less fair, depending on which way you look at it. I don't see why domestic TV money being partially distributed according to league position is justification for extending this to international TV money. It would only serve to amplify the gap between the top 6 and the rest of the league, which I don't think is a good idea.

I'm not saying I think it's a good idea, but with the precedent there it may prove difficult to resist in the long term.

The article suggests 3 of the 14 'smaller' clubs agreed with it, presumably those who believe they would also benefit from the change. Everton plus two others? Not sure who'd they be.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's a tricky one. I think most would acknowledge that overseas viewers, similar to those in the UK, are more likely to watch the 'Big Six' on TV than Burnley v Watford, Bournemouth v Swansea, or a small club such as Crystal Palace versus anyone.

Having said that, the Big Six already have a disproportionate share of overall income and profits, and this allows them to pay higher wages and sign players for larger fees than other clubs. They already have a significant financial advantage over other clubs. Changing the distribution rules will skew this even further.

Big 6 Graph Income Profits Wages Signings 2016.JPG

Part of the (ever diminishing) romance of the Premier League is that Leicester did win it 18 months ago, Burnley won at Chelsea on the first day of the season, and this is because the smaller clubs do get a decent share of the TV money.

If you look at the owners of the Big Six, three are American, one is Russian, one is UAE and one is in the Bahamas. I'm not convinced they have any interest in the overall strength of the English game.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's a tricky one. I think most would acknowledge that overseas viewers, similar to those in the UK, are more likely to watch the 'Big Six' on TV than Burnley v Watford, Bournemouth v Swansea, or a small club such as Crystal Palace versus anyone.

Having said that, the Big Six already have a disproportionate share of overall income and profits, and this allows them to pay higher wages and sign players for larger fees than other clubs. They already have a significant financial advantage over other clubs. Changing the distribution rules will skew this even further.

View attachment 89772

Part of the (ever diminishing) romance of the Premier League is that Leicester did win it 18 months ago, Burnley won at Chelsea on the first day of the season, and this is because the smaller clubs do get a decent share of the TV money.

If you look at the owners of the Big Six, three are American, one is Russian, one is UAE and one is in the Bahamas. I'm not convinced they have any interest in the overall strength of the English game.

Yes, and let’s remember that the Big Six are only the Big Six because of the whole backstory that is English football. Yes, times change, but without the competitiveness of the English football leagues structure the game would not be what it is. The fact that Pep may have to go to Grimsby on a Tuesday night is a huge leveler and in this culture, where like some others, we love the David v Goliath story, that’s what the economics of the game should somehow seek to protect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Let them go and form their own league then. The sport has long since been governed for the good of the game, it's just for the benefit of those at the top.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
Yes, and let’s remember that the Big Six are only the Big Six because of the whole backstory that is English football. Yes, times change, but without the competitiveness of the English football leagues structure the game would not be what it is. The fact that Pep may have to go to Grimsby on a Tuesday night is a huge leveler and in this culture, where like some others, we love the David v Goliath story, that’s what the economics of the game should somehow seek to protect.

I did go to a Grimsby v Man City match in October 1963, but that was on a Saturday. The last time Man City played a midweek game there was in September 1950.(I didn't go to that!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here