Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest crowd ever to watch an Albion League match (excluding playoffs)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Been thinking, have we ever played a League match in front in 60k in the modern era as we will do on Sunday?

It wouldn't have happened 79-83 as I recall Highbury was the biggest with around 57k. Before, what was the highest?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
What about our 1-0 defeat to Man Utd when Giggs scored ?

Sorry just seen you mean league game.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What about our 1-0 defeat to Man Utd when Giggs scored ?

Sorry just seen you mean league game.

Think that's the biggest outside of the 2 FA Cup finals

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Pretty sure that we have never played a league game in front of 60K+.

What are the possibilities and approx. years?

Nothing between 79 and 83 in Div One. Man Utd were getting the biggest crowds but sub 60K throughout those years.

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
Been thinking, have we ever played a League match in front in 60k in the modern era as we will do on Sunday?

It wouldn't have happened 79-83 as I recall Highbury was the biggest with around 57k. Before, what was the highest?

I think that the highest league attendance might be 52,641 at Old Trafford, when Manchester United beat us 2-0 on 6th October 1979.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think that the highest league attendance might be 52,641 at Old Trafford, when Manchester United beat us 2-0 on 6th October 1979.

I think you'd be right, just had a quick trawl through Tim Carder's book!! So there you have it, history will be made on Sunday

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I think you'd be right, just had a quick trawl through Tim Carder's book!! So there you have it, history will be made on Sunday

I was at that one and if i remember right two Albion players fell out with each other ? Utd 2 Albion 0 October 79.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I was at that one and if i remember right two Albion players fell out with each other ? Utd 2 Albion 0 October 79.

So was I, sitting in the home seats ( long story ) Wardy scored and I immediately leapt up. I couldn't help myself, it was instinctive. When it was disallowed, I was the subject of much derision from all the home fans around me. Learnt a big lesson that day....if you ever go in the home end, keep still and keep quiet, even if your team scores. It aint worth the aggro.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

with the arse 2-0 down there will not be 60k at the end!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

'Only' 59k there last night, fans suggesting actual attendance was much lower.

Will still be an official record, but might not be as high as expected.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Did we play in front of any big crowds away from home in our first stint in the old second division, back in Billy Lane's days? Some of those old grounds (mostly terracing back in those days) could pack quite a few in - Anfield, Roker Park, St. James' Park, Ayrsome Park, Hillsborough, Villa Park, The Valley, for example, were all pretty big grounds in terms of capacity back in the day.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Just checked Tim Carder's book (which goes up to 1993) and the highest league attendance we've played in front of is indeed against Man Utd in 79: 52,641. Next highest listed is Spurs in 77: 48,613 (which was presumably surpassed at Newcastle last season).

Highest in our first stint in Division 2 was at Liverpool in 1958: 39,520.

This season we are likely to play in front of up to 7 league crowds over 50,000: Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and possibly Newcastle.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here