Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else been pleasantly surprised by the quality of refereeing so far in the PL?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
After so many dodgy refs over the last few years, I presumed that the quality between PL and Championship would be similar esp. considering the likes of The Complete And Utter Shyster but I can't recall a ref in any of the 6 matches so far who has stood out as dodgy. With the exception of an iffy lino running the line by the West Stand at either the Man City or West Brom match (I can't remember which), they've all been, by and large, fairly anonymous which is of course how it should be.

Can't help but worry that we'll get The Complete And Utter Shyster refereeing the Palace game though.

*Love how Mlke Dean's name gets changed to 'The Complete And Utter Shyster' still on NSC!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All good. Big view, keep the game flowing, not so obviously 'all about me'.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's been good yeah but the issue with the quality of refs isn't to do with the leagues. I looked into it at the end of last season and over half of the Championship refs also regularly reffed Premier League games.

I'd love to know why refs seem so much worse in the Champ, it really is baffling.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You appear not to have noticed the words "so far" in the thread title.
No, I wasn't correcting you. You've said it's been good so far, I'm just highlighting the last part :shrug:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's been good yeah but the issue with the quality of refs isn't to do with the leagues. I looked into it at the end of last season and over half of the Championship refs also regularly reffed Premier League games.

I'd love to know why refs seem so much worse in the Champ, it really is baffling.

Blimey, that many. That does surprise me then and like you leaves me baffled as to why the Championship doesn't have anywhere near this level of consistency.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
After so many dodgy refs over the last few years, I presumed that the quality between PL and Championship would be similar esp. considering the likes of The Complete And Utter Shyster but I can't recall a ref in any of the 6 matches so far who has stood out as dodgy. With the exception of an iffy lino running the line by the West Stand at either the Man City or West Brom match (I can't remember which), they've all been, by and large, fairly anonymous which is of course how it should be.

Can't help but worry that we'll get The Complete And Utter Shyster refereeing the Palace game though.

*Love how Mlke Dean's name gets changed to 'The Complete And Utter Shyster' still on NSC!

Thought yesterday the ref was "unnoticeable" again, which seems to be the sign of a good one.

I did notice that he didn't make sure the Toon were ten yards away for a free kick at the beginning of the second half, but it was the one we scored from..... and then rafa obviously thought Mbemba was fouled, so it evens itself out.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Thought yesterday the ref was "unnoticeable" again, which seems to be the sign of a good one.

I did notice that he didn't make sure the Toon were ten yards away for a free kick at the beginning of the second half, but it was the one we scored from..... and then rafa obviously thought Mbemba was fouled, so it evens itself out.

Yeah, that annoyed me too but I hope you'd agree that it was fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things (and we scored!) and there were no blatant miscarriages of justice for either side. The Hemed stamp went unsighted by everyone and the Newcastle players didn't make a song and dance about it at the time so I can't see how the ref could get marked down for that.

The Watford game saw us not get a very good penalty shout, I'd forgotten about that but even then the ref gave a very good reason for not giving it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yeah, that annoyed me too but I hope you'd agree that it was fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things (and we scored!) and there were no blatant miscarriages of justice for either side. The Hemed stamp went unsighted by everyone and the Newcastle players didn't make a song and dance about it at the time so I can't see how the ref could get marked down for that.

The Watford game saw us not get a very good penalty shout, I'd forgotten about that but even then the ref gave a very good reason for not giving it.

Yes, I agree totally. Swings and roundabouts.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd have been more impressed with Marriner noticing Hemed landing on the Newcastle players leg and giving him a ticking off to be more careful next time...............................

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The refereeing has been very good but I'm not surprised.

Refereeing in this country is generally of a very high standard bearing in mind how many ref's we have in the league each week. The odd mistakes just get highlighted by numerous TV angles and managers looking for excuses for their teams poor performances.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I believe the Ref on Sunday was rubbish and will be reporting him to the relevant authorities.
The goal should never have been allowed. Two Brighton players took out the Newcastle defence by hacking them down and then sitting on them, thus allowing Brighton to score.

If you don't print this your cat gets it.
Signed Raffa

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
Kevin Friend the ref for Sunday at Arsenal. Agree In terms of the standard of refereeing being very good to date. Haven't walked away from a game talking about one that I remember. I don't know why but I always seem to think the East linesmen/women aren't particularly good though, odd.

I'm sure it's been covered elsewhere but when that rascal M.Dean is appointed to us, is there an avenue for the club to make representations to the Premier League given the depth of feeling against him or do we just have to accept he will be the man in the middle at some point this season?

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing

Please remind me, what was the reason he did not give a penalty then?

I thought the ref at Watford was much worse than any others we have had this season. The only decision he got right was the sending off (IMHO).

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Think the refs have been excellent in our games - so far. However Bobby Madley had a shocker at Arsenal last night, so I hope our turn doesn't come round too soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here