Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “It was deafening at times”

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Henry Winter on the Amex atmosphere yesterday:

“Brighton’s win was also rooted in the unstinting encouragement of their fans, who raised the volume even more as Newcastle’s threat level grew. For a relatively new ground, the Amex generates plenty of noise, and it was deafening at times here, especially as referee Andre Marriner signalled full-time.”

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

“Brighton’s win was also rooted in the unstinting encouragement of their fans, who raised the volume even more as Newcastle’s threat level grew. For a relatively new ground, the Amex generates plenty of noise, and it was deafening at times here, especially as referee Andre Marriner signalled full-time.”

No that cannot be right surely the noise from the corner at Selhurst out noises all. You know the repletion of 'whoa, whoa..through to the Rivers of Babylon chant..so repetitive a bit like those Christmas CDs played in department stores on October..

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Some little Palace fan tweeted yesterday something along the lines of "Have loads of Brighton fans come dressed as blue seats". One of the poorest attempts at trolling I've seen, even for one of them.

Or maybe he really was that stupid, as the tweet was posted about thirty seconds before half time....

Also mocked the atmosphere. In contrast to Selhurst, where the atmosphere is no doubt out of this world currently :lol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
No that cannot be right surely the noise from the corner at Selhurst out noises all. You know the repletion of 'whoa, whoa..through to the Rivers of Babylon chant..so repetitive a bit like those Christmas CDs played in department stores on October..

Palace do seem to be finally learning what true football fans really want though. I mean: I've not heard that embarrassing goal music once this season.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Henry seems to talk positively about us quite often, which is nice.

It means something doesn't it? He's a highly-respected journalist who is well-travelled having experienced games all over the world. When he describes an atmosphere as "deafening", he is speaking as someone well placed to judge.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Well, not according to that other media powerhouse, the Newcastle Chronicle "From the very first minute until the last, the only real sound you could hear with the Amex was that of the travelling Toon Army, who were as vocal, jovial and supportive as ever - packing out an entire end of the ground".

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Palace do seem to be finally learning what true football fans really want though. I mean: I've not heard that embarrassing goal music once this season.

As testament to just how shit palace have been this year my first thought on reading your post was:

Oh, too bad. That was a good stick to beat them with.

Then, I remembered why the goal music hadn't been heard this season...

So we get the opportunity to take the piss that they still use goal music(presumably) and that six games in they haven't used it. They really are the gift that keeps giving.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It means something doesn't it? He's a highly-respected journalist who is well-travelled having experienced games all over the world. When he describes an atmosphere as "deafening", he is speaking as someone well placed to judge.

or has tinnitus.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
As testament to just how shit palace have been this year my first thought on reading your post was:

:lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We have firmly established a reputation for it now: many of the media pundits ahead of game saying how vociferous and partisan the Amex home crowd is. It's good but can only imagine they've got used to walls of silence elsewhere due to tourists etc. Still it's nice they're finding our home somewhat refreshing. Should be the rule, not the exception but that's the PL for you! Care more about money than fans.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

So we get the opportunity to take the piss that they still use goal music(presumably) and that six games in they haven't used it. They really are the gift that keeps giving.

Thanks for pointing out the joke. It makes it much funnier when its explained.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Well, not according to that other media powerhouse, the Newcastle Chronicle "From the very first minute until the last, the only real sound you could hear with the Amex was that of the travelling Toon Army, who were as vocal, jovial and supportive as ever - packing out an entire end of the ground".

'Selective deafness' at it's finest.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We have firmly established a reputation for it now: many of the media pundits ahead of game saying how vociferous and partisan the Amex home crowd is. It's good but can only imagine they've got used to walls of silence elsewhere due to tourists etc. Still it's nice they're finding our home somewhat refreshing. Should be the rule, not the exception but that's the PL for you! Care more about money than fans.

Constantly amazed how quiet home fans are at away games - Watford was a morgue. Villa was shocking until the very end of the game when they scored. I've even noticed away fans at the Amex seem quieter (bar Leeds).

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Constantly amazed how quiet home fans are at away games - Watford was a morgue. Villa was shocking until the very end of the game when they scored. I've even noticed away fans at the Amex seem quieter (bar Leeds).

Watford has always been a monastery of sound, only when a certain haha falls over, you get a slight titter!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

At least they won't have to replace the stylus on the arm of that old record player they use will they ? (one for the oldies there)

Come on stylus or cladding......... their fans can't have it all especially with the new tea urn they bought for the Supermarket stand.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here