Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minding the gap/knowing our place

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not. I'm expecting a tough season where we have to fight for every single point. We have a team that's prepared to fight though, so hopefully it'll be enough.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'm just going to leave this here.

1.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I know there are differences of opinion on this stuff, but mine is that you absolutely HAVE to milk it whilst the opportunity presents itself.

Yes, we will slip up. Yes, they will get better. Yes, they may beat us. Yes, they may finish above us.

But it not now, when? At the end of the season? What if we both stay up or both go down? We'll be in exactly the same position as them if either of those happen.

Laugh now and laugh long. And with that...

[tweet]911986376979222529[/tweet]
[tweet]911996798482477057[/tweet]
[tweet]912007757095563264[/tweet]

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I know there are differences of opinion on this stuff, but mine is that you absolutely HAVE to milk it whilst the opportunity presents itself.

Yes, we will slip up. Yes, they will get better. Yes, they may beat us. Yes, they may finish above us.

But it not now, when? At the end of the season? What if we both stay up or both go down? We'll be in exactly the same position as them if either of those happen.

Laugh now and laugh long.

Well exactly. And it's nice knowing that they'll be looking up the table at us for at least a few more weeks.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm not. I'm expecting a tough season where we have to fight for every single point. We have a team that's prepared to fight though, so hopefully it'll be enough.

Perfectly put......

However, the arrogance of other teams supporters I struggle with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

But it not now, when?
I'm a bit on the fence. He who laughs last etc.

I fully expect us to get smashed a few times this season, by teams like City and Spurs, but that's the case for most bottom half teams and I can deal with that.
I expect (against all odds it seems) that Palace will turn it around to some extent. They may even survive at our expense which would obviously be quite a shitter.

What I will enjoy laughing about, however, is their record breaking season:
First top flight team to lose the first 4 without scoring since 1924.
No wait, first top flight team to lose the first 5 without scoring since, well, ever.
No wait, first team to lose the first 6 without scoring, in any English league, ever!

You have to take your hat off to them, they've broken the oldest record in football history. It's unlikely that any of us will live long enough to meet anyone that will live long enough to see that record broken again. Except by Palace next week.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

But there is no last. There is no end. This stuff goes on and on and on.

When you have the upper hand, you have to get stuck in. When you don't, you have to hunker down a bit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You have to take your hat off to them, they've broken the oldest record in football history. It's unlikely that any of us will live long enough to meet anyone that will live long enough to see that record broken again. Except by Palace next week.

I'm curious and maybe I'll put up a poll later on, but what would funniest - Palace to lose 2-0 at Man Utd or Palace to lose 9-1?

Both are lovely thoughts. What a time to be alive.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But there is no last. There is no end.
Understood, but there are 'breaks in play' if you like. Laughing when 1 nil up after a few minutes is a bit early, laughing after the game is safer ground, and likewise laughing just a few games into the season is a bit early. For me that is, I'm not trying to stop the rest of you.

That is of course with the caveat of their new record. Even if they stay up and we're relegated, their record will remain, and I can laugh all day at that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm curious and maybe I'll put up a poll later on, but what would funniest - Palace to lose 2-0 at Man Utd or Palace to lose 9-1?
Oo that is a toughie. How about 1-0 or 9-1? I guess the record is already theirs for life, so might as well take the drubbing instead and kill off hope of a revival.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I fully expect us to get smashed a few times this season, by teams like City and Spurs, but that's the case for most bottom half teams and I can deal with that.
I expect (against all odds it seems) that Palace will turn it around to some extent. They may even survive at our expense which would obviously be quite a shitter.

What I will enjoy laughing about, however, is their record breaking season:
First top flight team to lose the first 4 without scoring since 1924.
No wait, first top flight team to lose the first 5 without scoring since, well, ever.
No wait, first team to lose the first 6 without scoring, in any English league, ever!

Can I just add that it is the worst start by any team in the top 5 European leagues too according to the BBC so their conquest of Europe is happening.

A word of caution though, that season, you know, the 9-0 one. They made it to the Cup Final and stayed up so I'm not gloating, enjoying the moment though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I'm all for keeping feet firmly on the ground, staying humble, and not out-bragging our status. But this is just an observation.

Our run-rate gets us 44 points, if we can hold it together, luck and injuries stay favourable etc.

Assuming Croydon FC fail in their next two tough games, they would then need 45 points from their 30 remaining games to overtake us. Maintaining 1.5 points per game is a tough ask in the Prem for ANY team, other than the elite 8 in the top mini league.

It is no wonder that Croydon FC fans are already looking down the barrel of a gun. The contest in November becomes massive. Win that and we go a huge distance to ensuring we finish above them.

FFOTG

Feet firmly on the ground.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oo that is a toughie. How about 1-0 or 9-1? I guess the record is already theirs for life, so might as well take the drubbing instead and kill off hope of a revival.
To be fair, if the choice was 1-0 or 11-1 then I'd definitely prefer the latter. They already hold the "longest start to a Prem season without a goal or point" record, but the "heaviest Premier league era defeat" record belongs to Ipswich, who got smashed 9-0 at Man Utd. It would be lovely to see that one fall to the Nigels too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But there is no last. There is no end. This stuff goes on and on and on.

When you have the upper hand, you have to get stuck in. When you don't, you have to hunker down a bit.
That all makes perfect sense, but being a glass half empty kind of chap it's tough to move away from the adage 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

Sure those that have been on this since the start, fill your boots.
But the last thing the club, players, and esp NSC needs is Mystic Stat suddenly wading into the gloatathon.
Petards will be hoisting before I've even pressed 'quick reply'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can I just add that it is the worst start by any team in the top 5 European leagues too according to the BBC so their conquest of Europe is happening.
:lol:

A word of caution though, that season, you know, the 9-0 one. They made it to the Cup Final and stayed up so I'm not gloating, enjoying the moment though.
Yeah, but even if they stay up, this record will live on, and I'll always enjoy it.

Our run-rate gets us 44 points, if we can hold it together, luck and injuries stay favourable etc.
What does Palace's run-rate get them?

they would then need 45 points from their 30 remaining games to overtake us. Maintaining 1.5 points per game is a tough ask in the Prem for ANY team, other than the elite 8 in the top mini league.
You're getting ahead of yourself. 7 points from 6 doesn't convert to 44 points easily. It could have easily been a draw yesterday, a run-rate to get us to 32 points.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That all makes perfect sense, but being a glass half empty kind of chap it's tough to move away from the adage 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

A fair portion of the footballing world is pointing at Crystal Palace and laughing. It is our job, as their rivals, to be cheerleaders of the piss-taking.

And that's the thing: it's not about us, it's about them. If we were still battling Burton et al in the Championship this season, we'd still be laughing. That we've finally managed to scramble our way to the top table as this is happening makes it a bit sweeter. But it's still about them, and not us.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here