Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AK off, Murphy on. WTF?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Is it possible that Chris has forgotten that we signed Izquierdo and that he also picked him for today's match day squad?

Help me someone please; why Murphy over Izquierdo?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I thought the same.

I like Murphy a lot, but I would have liked to have seen Izquierdo as the outlet after Knocky came off.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is it possible that Chris has forgotten that we signed Izquierdo and that he also picked him for today's match day squad?

Because Chris Hughton is an experienced, intelligent and thoughtful football manager, having been in the game for over 40 years. He sees the players week in, week out and knows who can do which job. He also knows the relative readiness and appropriateness of each player in any given situation.

If he feels Izquierdo isn't the right player to come on (and more pertinently Jamie Murphy is), I'm going with his superior knowledge. :)

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I was expecting Rosenior on and was really surprised by Murphy. Would never have put Izquierdo with 10 mins to go

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Didn't you watch the two crosses that Jamie stooped coming into the box near the end and didn't you see the foul he drew at the very end to close the game out ? Maybe that was the reason he came on rather than Isquerdo ?

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Exactly. I never expected to see Izquierdo come on in that situation. Murphy has proven for us in the past that he can be defensively diligent.

Izquierdo came on at Watford and worked the line in attack and defence that day.
He knows how to do the dirty work as well as flair up front.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I thought the same.

I like Murphy a lot, but I would have liked to have seen Izquierdo as the outlet after Knocky came off.

What people would like is quite irrelevant. Securing the 3 points is the only important thing and the Manager, his decisions and the players achieved that

el punal

Because Chris Hughton is an experienced, intelligent and thoughtful football manager, having been in the game for over 40 years. He sees the players week in, week out and knows who can do which job. He also knows the relative readiness and appropriateness of each player in any given situation.

If he feels Izquierdo isn't the right player to come on (and more pertinently Jamie Murphy is), I'm going with his superior knowledge. :)

That sums it all up perfectly, thank you very much! :thumbsup:

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Izquierdo came on at Watford and worked the line in attack and defence that day.
He knows how to do the dirty work as well as flair up front.

It was 0-0 v Watford. We were looking for a goal to win it and therefore that substitution made sense at the time. Murphy today was the right choice. If we were one down or it had been 0-0. We'd probably have seen Izquierdo on.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was 0-0 v Watford. We were looking for a goal to win it and therefore that substitution made sense at the time. Murphy today was the right choice. If we were one down or it had been 0-0. We'd probably have seen Izquierdo on.

Yep. I thought it a strange decision but then hit on that conclusion.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

It was a very sensible decision. Murphy was always going to be the hard-working, solid, devensive-minded replacement, the last ten minutes of that game were not suitable for Izquierdo.

Having said that, one would assume out highest-ever signing will have to get a start at some point, wonder when that might be and how the hell can we fit him in when Knockaert and March are playing so well?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here