Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strong and Stable - Congratulations to Angela Merkel on a 4th term

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
3 points to the Albion, Labour on their way to giving the Tories a good kicking at the next election and Merkel back for another term...it's been a good day. I'm done.

Love and peace xx

Would that be by 7% points ? :p

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
They have a strong, consistent leadership with their people at the heart of their policies. It's why they get voted in again and again. They are everything our government is not.
Perhaps I misconstrued your meaning. Merkel has provided a strong and stable leadership but I believe this election is a bad outcome for that.

I have always respected your moderation but you need to check this one - the previous poster didn't actually describe it as a success for the EU. I've only just glanced at this thread - been wallowing in Newcastle reports - but I wasn't surprised seeing the pleasure among some NSC Brexiteers at the German result and the rise of AfD. I would imagine that AfD would have got a multiple of its 13 per cent if the German people had simply been asked "Do you think we should have lots more immigrants, or fewer?", which was how many British people saw the referendum question. Fortunately for Germany, the issue in its case was raised within the wider context of a general election rather in a close-to-binary question. Perhaps the Germans have bad memories of referendums.

First, thanks. And then again perhaps i misunderstood the previous post. I agree with much of what you wrote except the black and white (no pun intended) terms of our referendum voting reasons. I believe, as in my case, that there are many good reasons for disliking the EU and wanting out.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ooof!! The right wing EU hating cucks on here sure don't like to see an EU nation success story. Must sting a bit after the self inflicted misery of Brexit.

Why angry white men love calling people "cucks".

Regards the EU success story:

the BBC refers to it as a "hollow victory" http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41382411

Le Figaro in France refers to an emboldened far-right and a much-weakened Merkel who won only through the "usury of power" http://www.lemonde.fr/europe/articl...gnee-par-l-usure-du-pouvoir_5190878_3214.html

German newspaper Bild says it's an "earthquake in German politics" and Der Spiegel calls it a "bitter victory" (all referenced in that Le Figaro article).

The New York Times explains in great detail why the victory is not "strong and stable" but now shows Merkel as weak and her government a lot more unstable.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/world/europe/germany-merkel-europe.html

Effectively, the German people have done to Merkel what the British did to May but instead of the UK voters voting for a radical left-wing alternative, the Germans have chosen a radical far-right. I say this as a Brexit voter so ordinarily I'd cheer if Merkel got a pasting at the polls but the direction Germany has taken is not good. Far-right parties across the whole of Europe will now be more confident than ever.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why angry white men love calling people "cucks".

Regards the EU success story:

the BBC refers to it as a "hollow victory" http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41382411

Le Figaro in France refers to an emboldened far-right and a much-weakened Merkel who won only through the "usury of power" http://www.lemonde.fr/europe/articl...gnee-par-l-usure-du-pouvoir_5190878_3214.html

German newspaper Bild says it's an "earthquake in German politics" and Der Spiegel calls it a "bitter victory" (all referenced in that Le Figaro article).

The New York Times explains in great detail why the victory is not "strong and stable" but now shows Merkel as weak and her government a lot more unstable.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/world/europe/germany-merkel-europe.html

Effectively, the German people have done to Merkel what the British did to May but instead of the UK voters voting for a radical left-wing alternative, the Germans have chosen a radical far-right. I say this as a Brexit voter so ordinarily I'd cheer if Merkel got a pasting at the polls but the direction Germany has taken is not good. Far-right parties across the whole of Europe will now be more confident than ever.

Yeah, I used the word cuck as a pisstake of Looney who used it earlier to great hilarity, as do many "alt right" tossers . I'm afraid in your rush to score points you missed the real point.
The rest of your links I have already read but if I get time I'll have a look. Cheers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't know Merkel has to celebrate, in another few years I think the afd will be even more popular than they are now.

I don't think there's anything to worry about. Let's put this in context, this is her 4th term. Popularity tends to dissipate over 2 to 3 terms let alone 4. Had she stepped down and a new person taken over and got these results then they'd be cause to worry. She'll see out this term, allow plenty of time for her successor to bed in, and do better at the next election. And by then the SPD might have sorted themselves out as well. The AfD don't worry me especially as every party has vowed to work against them.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The popularity of the AfD, as for the FN in France, will be in relation to the situation in their countries. If the numbers of refugees and terrorist activities are diminished then it's likely that their support will diminish too. Unless you can predict the future then nobody can say what their popularity will be in 5 years time.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I don't think there's anything to worry about. Let's put this in context, this is her 4th term. Popularity tends to dissipate over 2 to 3 terms let alone 4. Had she stepped down and a new person taken over and got these results then they'd be cause to worry. She'll see out this term, allow plenty of time for her successor to bed in, and do better at the next election. And by then the SPD might have sorted themselves out as well. The AfD don't worry me especially as every party has vowed to work against them.

Still if any country should be able to resist the far right it is Germany. I don't think they, or their European sister parties, are going back in the box.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Of course there is a bit of a surge in support for right wing politics. We saw it here with right wingers coming out to support Farage and his far right ideals. Let's not forget his past and that of some of his cronies. He may have dressed himself up in tweed, raised a jar of ale for the cameras and declared himself one of the people but he's as far right as they come. Sticking feathers up your arse doesn't make you a chicken. Same with this party. People will forget abput them soon.

larus

I admire your optimism, but I fear it is misplaced. Contrary to your opening post of 'Strong and Stable', this result is far from that. This is not just me commenting on here, all comments across the media point to a weakened Merkel and the difficulties now within German politics. Yes, there may be a fudge (as per the UK and the DUP which you are so quick to ridicule), but that does not lead to strong and stable. I know we all have strong opinions on varying subjects, but (IMO) you portray yourself as someone who can never admit that you have made a mistake or that your views can be wrong.

As for your prediction that next time round "and do better at the next election", then there are many risks ahead and no one knows how these will work out. For example, the on-going situation with terror attacks from muslim immigration and home-grown muslims, and the status of the EURO/fiscal transfers. This issue has been delayed until after the election, but her room for manoeuvre is greatly diminished now. She can't ignore the 1 in 8 who voted for the Anti Euro party (as well as being anti-immigration). Then there's the greens and FDP having quite different policies and will not want to be seen to ditch their election promises just to get power.

Last point, I think a lot of the media are out-of-touch with the anger that some western countries are feeling at their gradual loss of national identity and the fact that we have to be politically correct, yet the same rules don't apply to muslims. For example, hate preachers are allowed to run down the western way of life and we can't do anything to export them due to 'human rights', yet we're not allowed to openly discuss muslims as it's viewed as racism (which is BS, as Islam is a religion).

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
I admire your optimism, but I fear it is misplaced. Contrary to your opening post of 'Strong and Stable', this result is far from that. This is not just me commenting on here, all comments across the media point to a weakened Merkel and the difficulties now within German politics. Yes, there may be a fudge (as per the UK and the DUP which you are so quick to ridicule), but that does not lead to strong and stable. I know we all have strong opinions on varying subjects, but (IMO) you portray yourself as someone who can never admit that you have made a mistake or that your views can be wrong.

As for your prediction that next time round "and do better at the next election", then there are many risks ahead and no one knows how these will work out. For example, the on-going situation with terror attacks from muslim immigration and home-grown muslims, and the status of the EURO/fiscal transfers. This issue has been delayed until after the election, but her room for manoeuvre is greatly diminished now. She can't ignore the 1 in 8 who voted for the Anti Euro party (as well as being anti-immigration). Then there's the greens and FDP having quite different policies and will not want to be seen to ditch their election promises just to get power.

Last point, I think a lot of the media are out-of-touch with the anger that some western countries are feeling at their gradual loss of national identity and the fact that we have to be politically correct, yet the same rules don't apply to muslims. For example, hate preachers are allowed to run down the western way of life and we can't do anything to export them due to 'human rights', yet we're not allowed to openly discuss muslims as it's viewed as racism (which is BS, as Islam is a religion).

This guy (and many academics) would disagree with you.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-considine/muslims-are-not-a-race_b_8591660.html

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

I think you might be slightly missing the point. To a certain degree the AfD will be blocked by other parties, but it is the will of the people who voted for them that you should be worried about.

By ignoring these voters and their concerns, you end up with things like Brexit and Trump in the White House.

larus

I disagree with that article (just because someone has posted something on a website it doesn't mean it's correct). To me racism is discrimination based on the colour of someones skin.

However, if we were to apply the logic in that article as a category of racism, then Muslims exhibit more racism than Christians. Look at the 'grooming' gangs in numerous cities/towns in the UK - viewing young, white girls as valid targets. The teachings of Islam are much more extreme than Christianity (IMO). BTW, I'm atheist. Look at the reactions to Salman Rushdie, "Je suis Charlie" or the cartoonist in Denmark. Sorry, but IMO we are too tolerant and allow behaviour from Muslim communities which is not acceptable in reverse.

So, yes, I do think the Germany/Europe has issues which will mean that the far-right has issues which it can tap into. This is not good for the future.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
I disagree with that article (just because someone has posted something on a website it doesn't mean it's correct). To me racism is discrimination based on the colour of someones skin.

It's not just him - Adam Rutherford (who has a PhD in genetics) holds similar views. Particularly the final sentence of this -> https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/mar/01/racism-science-human-genomes-darwin

You can of course have your own idea of what racism is, but I would tend to side with the experts who have a proper idea of what race is in the first place.

D

Deleted member 22389

It's not just him - Adam Rutherford (who has a PhD in genetics) holds similar views. Particularly the final sentence of this -> https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/mar/01/racism-science-human-genomes-darwin

You can of course have your own idea of what racism is, but I would tend to side with the experts who have a proper idea of what race is in the first place.

But live nowhere near Islamic communities. It does bring about and require a lot of changes to the area. Some people are comfortable with that others feel like they are losing their country and feeling pushed out. I think this might be the case in Germany. People are just not used to a massive culture shift, and it will keep changing.

larus

As I said before, just because some person (probably a left-wing leaning person) wants to redefine racism, it doesn't mean it's correct. Most people have a good idea as to what racism is.

I note taht you haven't commented on the points about the behaviour of Muslims towards Non-Muslims. Let's leave it - you think it's racism and I don't. It's religion. To me there's a difference between religion and someones behaviour due to that and their skin colour/country.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here