Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Merry Prankster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure she's that great after reading this

https://amp.theguardian.com/commenti...-environmental
    May i ask you not to use facts like these, as the German and EU loving people just won’t like it.

Another thing I read was that with the closure of the nuclear plants in Germany, this was leading to the burning of more coal by Germany.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by knocky1 View Post
      Not sure where you got your stats from Rip Van Winkle.

CON Conservative 42.4
      LAB Labour 40.0
      LD Liberal Democrat 7.4
      SNP Scottish National Party 3.0
      UKIP UKIP 1.8
      GRN Green Party 1.6
      2015 election

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Sorrel View Post
      (Assuming the exit polls are right) Being the largest party after three terms in government is pretty impressive and the results once again demonstrate why being the junior partner in a coalition is never going to be a vote winner. Wise of the SPD to explicitly state that they won't be in a coalition with the CDU this time.

It's now a difficult balancing act for the CDU. They are going to have to be in a coalition with the FDU and I guess the Greens too. That will need an interesting choice of coalition agreements, but should be possible.

The elephant now actually in the room is the AFD. I would guess the plan will be to mirror what happened to the Swedish Democrats and ignore them - and the pretend they don't exist - but in reality the CDU should be looking to get some of their more reasonable and/or protest voters on board by addressing some of their concerns. Whether that will be possible while in a coalition with the Greens will be the difficult part.

Will there ever be a Left/Green/Social Democracy coalition? There might be, but we're still a long way from the early 21st century Green/SPD coalitions in terms of votes/seats.
      Do you mean the FDP? They have previously been in coalition with Merkel and were a preferred partner 5 years ago although they didn't get enough seats in the last election hence the grand coalition.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by larus View Post
      May i ask you not to use facts like these, as the German and EU loving people just won’t like it.

Another thing I read was that with the closure of the nuclear plants in Germany, this was leading to the burning of more coal by Germany.
      German loving people? Do I have competition with my tiresome agenda?
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      Do you mean the FDP? They have previously been in coalition with Merkel and were a preferred partner 5 years ago although they didn't get enough seats in the last election hence the grand coalition.
      Yes, that's the one. Too many DPFU letters.

Will it be with the Green's this time round as well as the FDP?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Sorrel View Post
      Yes, that's the one. Too many DPFU letters.

Will it be with the Green's this time round as well as the FDP?
      I'm certain the FDP will be in the coalition. It seems they will need another if the exit polls are to believed; I think Merkel will favour the Greens to Die Linke. So yes I think you're correct.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      German loving people? Do I have competition with my tiresome agenda?
      As I’m watching the news, it appears that the situation is far from “Strong and Stable”.

If the SPD end up in coalition, the the AfD become the official opposition with the benefits that brings. If the choose to become the official opposing, then Merkel has a rainbow coalition and has to sort out divergent policies. Oh dear

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by larus View Post
      As I’m watching the news, it appears that the situation is far from “Strong and Stable”.

If the SPD end up in coalition, the the AfD become the official opposition with the benefits that brings. If the choose to become the official opposing, then Merkel has a rainbow coalition and has to sort out divergent policies. Oh dear
      "If the SPD end up in coalition, then the AfD become the official opposition" - so what do you think is going to happen given no party will want this and:

1) The SDP have already stated they will not form a coalition.
      2) The FDP are Merkel's preferred partners.
      3) The AfD only have a projected 13% and numerous other parties can join forces to defeat them.
      4) The simple act of Merkel not choosing the SDP snookers the AfD.

The AfD will not be the official opposition.

0 Not allowed!
      3 points to the Albion, Labour on their way to giving the Tories a good kicking at the next election and Merkel back for another term...it's been a good day. I'm done.

Love and peace xx
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      as i understand it, Merkel's party has lower vote and the main opposition SPD isnt going to go into coalition again. well, we'll see on that, power changes what people say and do (cf Liberals). more interesting is the increase importance of the FPD, who i believe are pro free trade and less likely to see barriers put up with UK in the brexit outcome.
      The English know how to make the best of things. Their so-called muddling through is simply skill at dealing with the inevitable.