Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EFL investigating AFC Wimbledon for 'disrespecting' MK Dons last night

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Seriously, who are these people? Are they really surprised, and shouldn't MK Dons a) drop the name, and b) be able to take it on the chin twice a season?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
"The failure to recognise MK Dons in the correct manner causes reputational issues for the EFL as well as creating the potential for unrest amongst MK Dons supporter and, as such, is of concern for the EFL."

Diddums. The existence of Shaun Harvey causes reputational issues for the Football League.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Seriously, who are these people? Are they really surprised, and shouldn't MK Dons a) drop the name, and b) be able to take it on the chin twice a season?
Don't know what was said or done last night, but definitely agree that it's time they dropped the 'Dons' bit. Deplored the way they moved and re-branded at the time, but since then they have built a decent little stadium in Milton Keynes and become a proper club for and in their new community. Milton Keynes City, or Milton Keynes United would be much more appropriate now. IMHO, like.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What's done is don(e). Banter between the fans is one thing but for the officials of AFC to deliberately disrespect another team is out of order especially as they had been warned before.

What if Celtic did the same to Rangers and there was trouble at an already tense game. There are plenty of rivalries and if it was a free for all who knows where it would end up.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't know what was said or done last night, but definitely agree that it's time they dropped the 'Dons' bit. Deplored the way they moved and re-branded at the time, but since then they have built a decent little stadium in Milton Keynes and become a proper club for and in their new community. Milton Keynes City, or Milton Keynes United would be much more appropriate now. IMHO, like.

There was a Milton Keynes City AND I think they went out of business because of the other lot? I could be wrong.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
"The failure to recognise MK Dons in the correct manner causes reputational issues for the EFL as well as creating the potential for unrest amongst MK Dons supporter and, as such, is of concern for the EFL."

Diddums. The existence of Shaun Harvey causes reputational issues for the Football League.

Does the name and all the franchise of MK Dons not cause unrest amongst all other fans.

I fail to see what the problem is by only referring to Milton Keynes in the programme rather than including Dons.

The EFL and the FA should have been tougher and refused the franchise at the time.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Interesting name for a club that is based in a town.

You are right. In many ways MK refers to itself as a city from the original planning documents, through the existence of the development corporation and in many building names etc. to this day. No doubt it will at some stage be granted city status.

Elgin City and Brechin City would be similar anomalies

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There was a Milton Keynes City AND I think they went out of business because of the other lot? I could be wrong.

Correct, they played in the South Midlands League and went out of business when MK Dons came to town.

Didn't know that; they've got more to gripe about than AFC Wimbledon in that case! Best not become City, then - best go for United, or perhaps Rovers (just to acknowledge their historical dodgy travels).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Does the name and all the franchise of MK Dons not cause unrest amongst all other fans.

I fail to see what the problem is by only referring to Milton Keynes in the programme rather than including Dons.

The EFL and the FA should have been tougher and refused the franchise at the time.

Oh well, live and learn! I always thought Milton Keynes was a city!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Shouldn't have taken the Dons name in the first place.

Nor Wimbledon's place in the league.

I wouldnt argue with that it was just the then Chairman of Wimbledon FC Sam Hamman selling his sole to any town that would have them. He approached Guildford to build a ground at The Spectrum and become Guildford Dons, but the council turned him down.

el punal

I wouldnt argue with that it was just the then Chairman of Wimbledon FC Sam Hamman selling his sole to any town that would have them. He approached Guildford to build a ground at The Spectrum and become Guildford Dons, but the council turned him down.

Yes, something definitely fishy there. We shouldn't really carp on about it though, but it is good to see MK whatevers flounder and come winter it will be a skate on thin ice for them. As for AFC Wimbledon with their new ground on the horizon they'll have a whale of a time.

I'll get my sou'wester!

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
What's done is don(e). Banter between the fans is one thing but for the officials of AFC to deliberately disrespect another team is out of order especially as they had been warned before

And you'd obviously say the same if that happened to us and Crawley and Hove Albion came to play AFC Brighton?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here