Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you don't drink that much and go out with people who are borderline alcoholic....

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Nanny State - for an alcohol free beer - is very nice indeed. I'd rather drink water on alcohol free nights and proper beer when I'm out but the wife drinks Nanny State now and again when she's out round friends' and doesn't want to get smashed so there's often some in our fridge. Not like the flat in Sydney...... :lolol:

Nanny State is a decent substitute that I now drink periodically to reduce alcohol consumption & calorific intake (bottle of Nanny is 26 cals, bottle Dead Pony 150+ I think.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Me and Mrs Giraffe rarely drink. We are not tea total but we just don't like the next day feeling of being hungover and the waste of time of recovering.

But when you go out with people these days it seems it is very hard not to drink much without being a party pooper. We still have fun. We just don't feel the need to get totally slaughtered. I find it hard to identify with people that drink so much. Are we alone?

And surely if you can't come home and not drink of an evening that makes you an alcoholic?

I really dont get this type of gripe, I can go out and drink like a fish or spend all night on soft drinks. I dont feel any pressure, Some may ask why I'm not drinking and I say I dont feel like it and thats that. I does not trigger bouts of insecurity and naval gazing neither does it reach a point where I tell people to F off.

Maybe change your friends?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
I really dont get this type of gripe, I can go out and drink like a fish or spend all night on soft drinks. I dont feel any pressure, Some may ask why I'm not drinking and I say I dont feel like it and thats that. I does not trigger bouts of insecurity and naval gazing neither does it reach a point where I tell people to F off.

Maybe change your friends?

As it happens it was a night out with some work colleagues that started the thought process. My friends are fine.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I didn't drink a great deal before coming here but there is a big drinking culture, particularly with work drinking parties and it's considered perfectly fine to get pants pissing drunk but the good thing is that people generally don't get aggressive with it. You see smashed people asleep in the gutter, in their work suits with their man bag lying next to them etc or take the kids to the play park at the weekends and you can share a beer with the other dads, which is nice on a hot summers day.

I got into the habit of drinking every day and when I went out I would get absolutely smashed all night, often going straight into the office from a bar/club and have whiskey in my coffee through the morning, which is quite acceptable as long as you're making money.I had to rein it in a fair bit for the sake of my health and probably my marriage as well, if I had carried on like that! I now drink out moderately 1 or 2 weeknights and moderately over the weekend, sticking to beer and wine these days.

Basically, you shouldn't really care what people think if you don't fancy a drink, just do what works for you and if anyone makes you feel uncomfortable about it, you don't have to hang around.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Not everyone is a big drinker, sometimes it goes on what size / frame you are, in the way of how much your body can take.
Me for one gets tipsy at the slightest sniff of the bar maids proverbial......
Anyway who wants to end up looking like that extremely rotund sweaty sock, that is Alan Brazil!

Do you really sniff the barmaids proverbial? interesting, we must speak more on this subject.........

I am THE professional Alan Brazil lookalike.........

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Me and Mrs Giraffe rarely drink. We are not tea total but we just don't like the next day feeling of being hungover and the waste of time of recovering.

But when you go out with people these days it seems it is very hard not to drink much without being a party pooper. We still have fun. We just don't feel the need to get totally slaughtered. I find it hard to identify with people that drink so much. Are we alone?

And surely if you can't come home and not drink of an evening that makes you an alcoholic?

Anyone who calls his wife "Mrs Giraffe" has far more issues than drink!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Given that the majority on NSC appear to be teetotal who exactly are those hundreds of people ahead of me in the queue at the Harvey's stand before the match?

Weirdly enough, as I was scrolling through this thread, I thought pretty much the same! also there seems to be a lack of input from the "Friday Night Drinkers threads" :lol: ....oh well, it's just gone 5am time for me to get up for work and get my early morning Pint of lager down me to set me up for the day..... :cheers:

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
also there seems to be a lack of input from the "Friday Night Drinkers threads" :lol: ....

Good point. Personally I certainly enjoy a few beers for social reasons and but I'm also very much a "foodie"* these days and craft beers go with this side of my world as well. Craft often comes in small measures and if you want to try different beers it makes sense to drink halves or thirds etc. I rarely want to be lumbered with a pint of anything these days. I go to bars as much for specific beer as the company these days. That said, I'm still prone to the late one and a few too many when my enthusiasm takes over or I'm at a club or something. But, I have never wanted to be classified as a drinker, only go to a bar 2 or 3 times absolute max per week, sometimes only once but rarely never, and only have a drink at home before going out or if I'm cooking and then it's generally very specific or special beers I've sourced. The idea of drinking every day at home disgusts me. I also stop drinking for a full 4 weeks before a marathon as well.

Bit of a stream of consciousness but hopefully it makes sense.

* what a **** term but I can't think of anything better.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I don't mind a few beers down the pub or a nice bottle of wine with Mrs W when we go out to eat ( incidentally we can measure a meal based on how much of the bottle we've drunk - great food means there's still a lot of the bottle left ! ). What gets me is this addiction to shots. When I go out with work it always ends with directors buy loads of shots and if you refuse ( I always do ) you're some social inadequate.

You social inadequate...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can bring some normality to this thread by saying that almost everyone I know, socially, footbally and family-y, likes a drink.

Hopefully this offsets some of the utter weirdos that have already contributed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can bring some normality to this thread by saying that almost everyone I know, socially, footbally and family-y, likes a drink.

I saw you'd been the most recent contributor to this thread on the thread list and thought "not you too". :lolol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Likewise. I'm going to the pub now in protest.*

*any excuse

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here