Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 116
  1. #21
    aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The arse end of Hangleton
    Posts
    18,946


    7 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For goodness sake get off your high horse. I've been down that road in helping. There's very little you can do to help an alcoholic. Unless THEY really want to give it up(few do) you are wasting your time.
    Which shows how much you know, diddly squat. You must have been such a help with so little empathy, sympathy and understanding.
    BAN Village Idiots
    The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
    I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #22
      Members W.C.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Posts
      4,883


      1 Not allowed!
      Up until getting shingles a couple of years back at 43 I had been a bit of a weekender from my teens. Then became a father last May so in even more and my tolerance has gone right down.
      Mum and baby went away for a few days last week and I thought ooh, I'll have a couple of nights out. Had one, felt like shit the next day, when it came round to Saturday and my 2nd planned jolly, I just stayed in.

      Partay!

      As said people can get a bit funny when friends don't drink. Guilty of it myself. We tend to cane it a bit too much in the UK.
      Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.
    • #23
      Native Creative Biscuit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      21,948


      3 Not allowed!
      I used to drink a fair bit while at University. Especially on Friday and Saturdays. As I've grown up, got a proper job, mortgage, baby etc I don't find the time, let alone the money to indulge in such a lifestyle. A couple of ex-housemates are still chasing the dragon at 35+, going out whenever they can and getting into a right state. They surround themselves with others of the same ilk, I think it makes them feel less like alcoholics - which they are - just functioning ones.

      I'll have the occasional rum at home when the time is right, and through work/social circle I'll have the occasional big night - but that's all it is, occasional!

      I must admit, having 'grown up' and out of it, I am a little too judgmental of people who still indulge in such a lifestyle,
    • #24
      Members Voroshilov's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Jibrovia
      Posts
      5,470


      4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      For goodness sake get off your high horse..
      To be fair if there's someone who needs to show a little consideration here it's not Westdene Seagull.
      The sweet essence of giraffe
    • #25

      2 Not allowed!
      It can be a problem if you are drinking in rounds, particularly if your downgrading from pint to half or soft drink co-incides with your round, which is why I try and get the first round not to appear cheap. If you are sharing wine bottles at a meal the heavier drinkers always seem quite pleased if I am having less as it leaves more for them.
    • #26
      Numpty Thunder Bolt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Beside the seaside, beside the sea
      Posts
      51,495


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      For goodness sake get off your high horse. I've been down that road in helping. There's very little you can do to help an alcoholic. Unless THEY really want to give it up(few do) you are wasting your time.
      I understand exactly where you're coming from. I had two people in my family who wouldn't admit they had a problem let alone want to stop. One did eventually, but with no help from me. The other one is dead now.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members. Mahatma Gandhi
    • #27
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Haywards Heath
      Posts
      72,324


      3 Not allowed!
      Having been a very heavy drinker when I ran a pub, bottle of Remy Martin VSOP a day, then having mouth cancer I now drink very little just the odd London Pride or Tanquery Gin and tonic at home but what gets me is the insistence of my younger family members on having shots which in the most are awful tasting anyway.
    • #28
      Members atfc village's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Location
      Lower Bourne .Farnham
      Posts
      4,392


      1 Not allowed!
      Had a mate die a couple of Weeks back from Alcholism cremated him Monday ,Found out funnily enough at a game from his best mate . He was warned about 10 Years ago after ending up in Hospital . He stayed off it for 3 Years ,then slowly would have a glass of Wine which would last him the evening . I saw him at a game about a Week before he died and he looked terrible . A total waste for a lad of 50 who came from a very good background ,Easy to say you have a choice but it's an addiction and sadly one he lost . RIP Tim.
      In The ex Legion now known as Lower Bourne Social Club again
    • #29
      Members Chicken Run's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      West Hove
      Posts
      12,668

      If you don't drink that much and go out with people who are borderline alcoholic....


      2 Not allowed!
      Blimey there's as many people on here who are claiming they avoid the grog as were pretending they wanted Bmuff tix
    • #30
      British and Proud spence's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Non EU
      Posts
      9,375


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by atfc village View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Had a mate die a couple of Weeks back from Alcholism cremated him Monday ,Found out funnily enough at a game from his best mate . He was warned about 10 Years ago after ending up in Hospital . He stayed off it for 3 Years ,then slowly would have a glass of Wine which would last him the evening . I saw him at a game about a Week before he died and he looked terrible . A total waste for a lad of 50 who came from a very good background ,Easy to say you have a choice but it's an addiction and sadly one he lost . RIP Tim.
      Absolutely. You are right in that it's an addiction along with drug taking,smoking/gambling etc. Every addiction can be beaten though and most of that comes down to the individual themselves.Of course support and guidance etc from others help. All this is pointless unless you are prepared to give up the addiction yourself. I know people who have gone in very expensive rehabs and legged it after a few days or started to drink as soon as his/her course was over. There are others who simply don't want to stop no matter what you say or help them with.
      I gave up smoking after 25 years and have been clean for 4 years now because i wanted to quit. I simply had enough of it. When you get to that stage it really helps in any addiction.
      "Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself"

      Leo Tolstoy

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •