Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I get round this by drinking pints of shandy. I naturally lost interest in downing eight pints of beer years ago, but still enjoy drinking large volumes in a pub/restaurant situation, so shandy is good for me and I like the refreshing mix.

I might feel a bit groggy the next morning, whilst contempories feel wrecked for a day or two.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Remainer Dr. Notthenineo'clocknews's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Normal Rob View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I had a lifetime of fairly high alcohol abuse up until about 3 years ago (43 now). I was raised in a family were drink was readily consumed in large quantity, entertaining happened most weekends and i was allowed to drink (in moderation) from an early age. Early teenage years were about sitting anywhere (park, railway bridge etc) with a half bottle of whisky, a bottle of wine or a 2 litre bottle of ale. Moving onto pubs and later dining from home - i've spent tens of thousands (just put £70 a week for 20 years into a calculator - it's frightening, and possibly a conservative estimate)
      However i still love a drink, i love going to the pub for a couple of ales (though with a rapidly growing family this happens infrequently these days), or enjoying a glass or 2 of wine with my wife and/or friends. Occasionally i still get hammered, though this is fairly rare these days. I now have 3 dry days per week on average, and consume much less on drinking nights.I have gone for 2-3 weeks without alochol, but it's not often that i choose to do that. I love the cameraderie that sharing a bottle of wine can bring, usually with good home cooked food. I respect others and their alcohol choices - you certainly do not need to drink if you come to mine. I'm a drinker, but now enjoy it rather than be led by it. I'm happy with this.
      I can certainly relate to this Rob
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BBassic View Post
      Cheers for the book recommendation, will check that out

Don't know about you but I find it good to know others are making the same decisions for similar reasons.
      Absolutely. "No beer for one year" is also an organisation worth looking at. I'm also told Brewdog do a really good alcohol free pale ale called Nanny State. I'll be sampling that at the Good Companion on Saturday
      First REMF goalscorer - EVER

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy Tim View Post
      Absolutely. "No beer for one year" is also an organisation worth looking at. I'm also told Brewdog do a really good alcohol free pale ale called Nanny State. I'll be sampling that at the Good Companion on Saturday
      Nanny State - for an alcohol free beer - is very nice indeed. I'd rather drink water on alcohol free nights and proper beer when I'm out but the wife drinks Nanny State now and again when she's out round friends' and doesn't want to get smashed so there's often some in our fridge. Not like the flat in Sydney......
      Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

0 Not allowed!
      I can certainly relate to @Normal Rob and @Stumpy Tim. I like a drink and staying away with work means I drink more than I should and it's something to do to be quite honest. I often start the week with the best of intentions but a supplier is taking me out tomorrow, the in laws are round Friday, Saturday we are out with friends and Sunday is the football. That's about 70 unit's right there.

Everyone I know likes a drink and I have zero friends that drink next to nothing. Yesterday me and a mate had a pint of lime and soda in a pub. We worked out it was the first time in 5 years one of us hadn't had an alcoholic drink in all that time. We are a nation of piss heads.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy Tim View Post
      I'm going through a similar conversation in my head right now. I've always liked my booze, probably a little too much - though not as much as some I know. However, I've reached the point of not wanting a hangover every weekend and feeling a little jaded for much of the week. So I'm toying with giving up the booze... starting with Sober October.

I've actually been warming up at a conference this week. Last night was the gala dinner in which I mainly drank water and Sprite and went to bed at 10pm. This morning it seemed the earliest people went to bed was 1am, and almost everyone wished they hadn't. So my test run suggests not drinking is a good thing. I did a month last year, but went back on it... slowly initially, and then back to my normal self. So I'm thinking that maybe it's time to knock it on the head.

For those interested, I also read "Kick the Drink Easily" by Jason Vale. Good read, and makes some very valid points.
      You've changed Tim!

I have to say my alcohol intake has gone down significantly since I moved to Canada. I think the major factor in the UK is doing rounds. I'd go out on a Friday or Saturday night and as soon as the first person finished their beer it was time to get the next round in. We'd all end up drinking at the pace of the guy who could drink 8 pints in no time and feel no ill effects. My hangovers get worse every year, especially since I got into my 30s. I don't really want to spend the next day (or often two days) recovering. It's not just the physical recovery, I find alcohol can ruin my mental health. If I've had a skin full I'll turn into a depressed, anxious wreck the next day.

These days I'll go out and have a few drinks with no pressure to drink quickly and get the next round in. I also feel the fittest I've ever felt in my life.
      People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by daveinprague View Post
      Never had a hangover with the beer here seriously. Shots or wine and I want to die the next day
      You're obviously a lightweight with beer then daveinprague. Step up, cmon.
      now my friends have gone,
      and my hair is grey,
      and I ache in the places that I used to play.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Questions View Post
      You're obviously a lightweight with beer then daveinprague. Step up, cmon.
      Smoking weed as well ffs
      The guy that invented predictive text died today, his funfair will be next fryingpan.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by daveinprague View Post
      Smoking weed as well ffs
      I'm chilled tonight. I think a peanut butter sandwich is next.
      now my friends have gone,
      and my hair is grey,
      and I ache in the places that I used to play.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Questions View Post
      I'm chilled tonight. I think a peanut butter sandwich is next.
      OMG that was my plan!..and I'm serious
      The guy that invented predictive text died today, his funfair will be next fryingpan.