Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you don't drink that much and go out with people who are borderline alcoholic....

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
Me and Mrs Giraffe rarely drink. We are not tea total but we just don't like the next day feeling of being hungover and the waste of time of recovering.

But when you go out with people these days it seems it is very hard not to drink much without being a party pooper. We still have fun. We just don't feel the need to get totally slaughtered. I find it hard to identify with people that drink so much. Are we alone?

And surely if you can't come home and not drink of an evening that makes you an alcoholic?

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
You're not alone. Not everyone wants to go out and absolutely battered. Regarding the having a drink every night, I'm sure I read somewhere that the AA definition of an alcoholic is someone who thinks about and plans their next drink.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don't mind a few beers down the pub or a nice bottle of wine with Mrs W when we go out to eat ( incidentally we can measure a meal based on how much of the bottle we've drunk - great food means there's still a lot of the bottle left ! ). What gets me is this addiction to shots. When I go out with work it always ends with directors buy loads of shots and if you refuse ( I always do ) you're some social inadequate.

Last edited:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I had this fight regularly at university, i knew when i had peaked and wouldn’t drink more than that. It would be awkward when everyone’s completely done, but i wasn’t sufferingthe next day or spending loads of money

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I very rarely drink and have not even been tipsy for about 7 years.

I hate the feeling of a hangover and the waste of a day recovering.

I still go out with friends, but leave when they start to get drunk as we are no longer on the same wavelength.

I still have a good time, just with out the hangover.

The only drawback is the lack of tolerance to alcohol. A couple of points now and I am ready for my bed.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Sounds like me v mrs (only joking - but she dies drink like a fish)

At least you can post coherent stuff on nsc at 7am

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Me and Mrs Giraffe rarely drink. We are not tea total but we just don't like the next day feeling of being hungover and the waste of time of recovering.

But when you go out with people these days it seems it is very hard not to drink much without being a party pooper. We still have fun. We just don't feel the need to get totally slaughtered. I find it hard to identify with people that drink so much. Are we alone?

And surely if you can't come home and not drink of an evening that makes you an alcoholic?
Same here except Mrs G. Loves a drink, all our friends and most of her, mine, and our family do too, I, therefore am the designated driver everywhere every time ( and still have to stand my/our rounds?)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Most of us drink too much when we're young. If you're still doing this say when you're 40+ then I'd say you've not learnt when the party's over! Definitely with the OP on this, keeping it sensible (with the occasional 'reminder'!)

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think big drinkers feel better when others around them also drink lots, as it means that they don't stand out as being a drunk. We have a couple of friends who are big drinkers and they laugh at me and call me a southern Jessie when I go onto halves just to keep in the rounds. That's after 4/5 pints, so I still dink plenty but not the 8/10 pints that they sink.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I have been tee total for almost 21 months now with an exception of some champagne for my Mrs 40th in the summer. It's great but folk that do drink can get odd about it sometimes. Also people have no idea how boring and repetitive they get when they have had a few. Also many folk get very irrational and argumentative even after just 2 drinks. It's funny to watch the first time or two but gets very dull after that.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
I think I could quite easily succumb to excess alcohol consumption but, having witnessed the sadness that alcoholism has caused in my family, I am very conscious of how much I drink and control it accordingly. This has got easier as I have got older as peer pressure is not such an issue.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not everyone is a big drinker, sometimes it goes on what size / frame you are, in the way of how much your body can take.
Me for one gets tipsy at the slightest wiff of the bar maids proverbial......
Anyway who wants to end up looking like that extremely rotund sweaty sock, that is Alan Brazil!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I hate being around alcoholics. Have no time for them.

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
I hate being around alcoholics. Have no time for them.

That's exceptionally harsh and unsympathetic. I know for a fact it's very easy to go down that path ..... I've been down it and come back.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
That's exceptionally harsh and unsympathetic. I know for a fact it's very easy to go down that path ..... I've been down it and come back.

Not really. I also include family members in that. I'm talking from experience.

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
Not really. I also include family members in that. I'm talking from experience.

Well bully for you for having such a perfect life that you don't consider other people's woes.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Well bully for you for having such a perfect life that you don't consider other people's woes.

For goodness sake get off your high horse. I've been down that road in helping. There's very little you can do to help an alcoholic. Unless THEY really want to give it up(few do) you are wasting your time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here