Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    VERY part time moderator Giraffe's Avatar

If you don't drink that much and go out with people who are borderline alcoholic....

5 Not allowed!
    Me and Mrs Giraffe rarely drink. We are not tea total but we just don't like the next day feeling of being hungover and the waste of time of recovering.

But when you go out with people these days it seems it is very hard not to drink much without being a party pooper. We still have fun. We just don't feel the need to get totally slaughtered. I find it hard to identify with people that drink so much. Are we alone?

And surely if you can't come home and not drink of an evening that makes you an alcoholic?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      You're not alone. Not everyone wants to go out and absolutely battered. Regarding the having a drink every night, I'm sure I read somewhere that the AA definition of an alcoholic is someone who thinks about and plans their next drink.
      For Those About To Rock....... We Salute You
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I don't mind a few beers down the pub or a nice bottle of wine with Mrs W when we go out to eat ( incidentally we can measure a meal based on how much of the bottle we've drunk - great food means there's still a lot of the bottle left ! ). What gets me is this addiction to shots. When I go out with work it always ends with directors buy loads of shots and if you refuse ( I always do ) you're some social inadequate.
      Last edited by Westdene Seagull; 23-09-2017 at 07:38.
      BAN Village Idiots
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."

0 Not allowed!
      I had this fight regularly at university, i knew when i had peaked and wouldn’t drink more than that. It would be awkward when everyone’s completely done, but i wasn’t sufferingthe next day or spending loads of money
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      As I said I dont know just assumed

1 Not allowed!
      I very rarely drink and have not even been tipsy for about 7 years.

I hate the feeling of a hangover and the waste of a day recovering.

I still go out with friends, but leave when they start to get drunk as we are no longer on the same wavelength.

I still have a good time, just with out the hangover.

The only drawback is the lack of tolerance to alcohol. A couple of points now and I am ready for my bed.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Sounds like me v mrs (only joking - but she dies drink like a fish)

At least you can post coherent stuff on nsc at 7am
      Members

7 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit Barrel View Post
      A couple of points now and I am ready for my bed.
      3 points please & we'll all sleep well tomorrow
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
      Me and Mrs Giraffe rarely drink. We are not tea total but we just don't like the next day feeling of being hungover and the waste of time of recovering.

But when you go out with people these days it seems it is very hard not to drink much without being a party pooper. We still have fun. We just don't feel the need to get totally slaughtered. I find it hard to identify with people that drink so much. Are we alone?

And surely if you can't come home and not drink of an evening that makes you an alcoholic?
      Same here except Mrs G. Loves a drink, all our friends and most of her, mine, and our family do too, I, therefore am the designated driver everywhere every time ( and still have to stand my/our rounds?)

2 Not allowed!
      Most of us drink too much when we're young. If you're still doing this say when you're 40+ then I'd say you've not learnt when the party's over! Definitely with the OP on this, keeping it sensible (with the occasional 'reminder'!)
      “Everything about this looks wrong. The run-up is too long, too straight, and you know it’s going over the bar ... it goes over the bar, and Brighton have stolen a trip to Wembley! That is an absolute burglary! And that is the FA Cup!”
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I think big drinkers feel better when others around them also drink lots, as it means that they don't stand out as being a drunk. We have a couple of friends who are big drinkers and they laugh at me and call me a southern Jessie when I go onto halves just to keep in the rounds. That's after 4/5 pints, so I still dink plenty but not the 8/10 pints that they sink.