Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody been to Budapest?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Really nice and relaxing. Worth taking boat trip down river and getting off at the huge park where you can hire golf buggy type things and ride round park - good fun. Then walk back past their mini parliament and into market square. Beer and food is very very cheap. Beer is also good.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fantastic city. I would love to go back but I have unpaid fines out there so darent.
We had an amazing meal for a really reasonable price at a place on Raday. I noticed though the other day, it now has a Michellin star. Doubt I could afford to eat there now. It was special though, even a few years back.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
We went over 10 years ago so can't be a lot of help. However, it was bloody great and dirt cheap.

We got some last minute deal to stay in a suite in an amazing 5 star hotel right in the city centre (converted old mansion building) for buttons. Ate in some really fancy restaurants and ended up getting rid of a load of Hungarian currency we still had on the last night by buying "expensive" cocktails and cigars.

It's also a lovely city with loads to see. We just took a Rough Guide and wandered about on foot.

Have fun!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Vies with Berlin as my favourite city. You must get yourself to one of the baths - Rudas baths is my favourite but any are good. Get a massage there: all the masseurs look like all-in wrestlers and it looks like they half kill you but you feel great afterwards.

It's a great city for mooching around: as others have said, the beer's good and cheap - great public transport too.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Been a couple of times. A nice trip over the Danube to Pest is recommended, and if you clamber up the hill to the castle you get a wonderful panoramic view. The Opera house is worth a visit, just for the building if nothing else. Food and nightlife are great, I'm sure you will enjoy it

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Fantastic city. I would love to go back but I have unpaid fines out there so darent.
We had an amazing meal for a really reasonable price at a place on Raday. I noticed though the other day, it now has a Michellin star. Doubt I could afford to eat there now. It was special though, even a few years back.

You can't leave the story there, why the fines? :smile:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My favourite city by far.

Is your accommodation already sorted in Buda? I always stay in Pest. Much better for getting around.

Definitely visit the Terror Museum. I think it's free one day a week, but can't remember which one!

Take your swimmers and do some spas. We do a new one each time we go and I can recommend Gellért and Széchenyi. Rudas was also good - particularly the rooftop pool.

The "ruin" pubs are great. Just old buildings and spaces that someone's put a bar in without doing it up first. All of those we've tried had a great atmosphere.

The children's railway up in the Buda hills was a nice day out, too.

My favourite area is Oktogon and around Andrassy Utca. Ferenc Liszt Ter has great restaurants, but is probably getting a little pricey and popular now.

Ooooo. I want to go back now!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Possibly my favourite weekend break city, it is lovely and it has got everything. As others have said, the spas are brilliant, as is the statue park.

Definitely visit the Terror Museum.
Was going to mention this but forgot the name. Well worth a visit, but chilling.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
10 years since i went so can't really comment but loved it. A mates son has just done a year at uni and toldme it's still cheap out there.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yes, it's a fantastic city. Everything is really cheap too. You can go to a decent restaurant and have a meal for about 15 quid.

Another vote for the Terror Museum.

Also enjoyed the tour of the tunnels underneath Castle Hill.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Anyone looking for accommodation should go and visit Albert here http://kapitalinn.com/

Quite definitely the best tour guide I've ever met. He spent the first evening assessing what we wanted out of our visit and recommending places to go.

His omelettes are to die for, too!

Sounds like I need to go to the statue park next time.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Go to ankert discotheque. One of my favourites in the world .
Also if you like running , go to st Margaret's island.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Great place to visit. On a par with Rome (but a lot cheaper), just behind Krakow and ahead of Prague in my opinion. All worth a visit.

As already mentioned on this thread, we stayed in Buda but if I went again, I would stay in Pest, where the night life is. Buda is nice for the day time culture but a stay in Pest avoids crossing over the Danube twice a night.

Agree with the recommendations of the baths (near the zoo, which is also worth a visit) and the House of terror,

Enjoy.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Come on Questions. Need to hear about these fines.

I know in Poland you can get fined for jaywalking or crossing when the light is red. is it something similar ?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Great place to visit. On a par with Rome (but a lot cheaper), just behind Krakow and ahead of Prague in my opinion. All worth a visit.

As already mentioned on this thread, we stayed in Buda but if I went again, I would stay in Pest, where the night life is. Buda is nice for the day time culture but a stay in Pest avoids crossing over the Danube twice a night.

Agree with the recommendations of the baths (near the zoo, which is also worth a visit) and the House of terror,

Enjoy.

So you have been to both ? Krakow and Buda ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here