Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - SCART to HDMI converters

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
We might be looking to upgrade our TV. Problem is that our old Home Cinema setup, that we use infrequently only has a SCART output, it still functions perfectly, and we can see no reason to have to upgrade it at the moment.

All the TV’s that we have researched no longer have SCART connectivity. Has anybody tried one of the SCART to HDMI converters, if so are they any good?

Thanks,

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I bought one so we could hook up an old PS2 to a modern TV and while it's never going to be full HDMI quality, it certainly works. The one we have has it's own power supply via USB so you might want to keep that in mind in terms of cables, plugs etc.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Hitachi make TV's with Scart sockets still, Argos stock them.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
I bought one so we could hook up an old PS2 to a modern TV and while it's never going to be full HDMI quality, it certainly works. The one we have has it's own power supply via USB so you might want to keep that in mind in terms of cables, plugs etc.
- Thanks the one I'm looking at seems to have a small external power plug.

Hitachi make TV's with Scart sockets still, Argos stock them.
- Thanks our preference, and the ones we are looking at are Panasonic's.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
I bought a cheap one (£12 reduced from £25), earlier this year. Not SCART but AV Composite to HDMI. Similar principle, analog to digital conversion.
I gave it 2 stars on Amazon...
Here's my review.

I bought this to connect a Topfield PVR to an HDMI input on a TV where the SCART socket has become faulty.

The product was very price competitive, so I'll cut it some slack and say that it works, but the analog to digital conversion is poor.

The colours are artificially intense, almost to the point of causing a headache. This could be toned down by using the colour adjustment on the TV, but I'd have to readjust every time I used another input.
Additionally, there is some digital artifacting visible in dark areas of the picture, particularly noticeable when there is movement on screen.

I'm not terribly fussed over picture quality, (My TV is "only" 720P, and I'm happy with SD TV quality), but the output from this device is sufficiently flawed as to be unusable.

There are dozens of choices out there between a tenner and circa £30, and a few more expensive options.

If I had a real need, I'd probably go to an actual shop in town, and ask for a demo to see if the quality is acceptable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
problem is analogue to digital isnt "simple". you see it on old TV clips in compilation programmes, the up-scaling from old resolution makes the image look crap and colours can be off. SCART and Composite are not very clean signals, so any noise or glitches are emphasised. so you'll need something fairly expensive that will do processing to try and rectify, rather than cheapy that will just try its best to digitise.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Anyone done this the other way around ie HDMI to Scart? We have an old telly which just has Scart connectors but we have just been sent a new BT YouView box in order to get Netflix (as the older one does not work with Netflix apparently) and it only has HDMI output. So I need to connect HDMI output to Scart input. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Ta!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Anyone done this the other way around ie HDMI to Scart? We have an old telly which just has Scart connectors but we have just been sent a new BT YouView box in order to get Netflix (as the older one does not work with Netflix apparently) and it only has HDMI output. So I need to connect HDMI output to Scart input. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Ta!

A converter box is available on E bay at around £11.00 ish but they may be cheaper elsewhere but it shows they are available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here