Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Found wallet

What would you do

• Kept the money, chuck wallet

Votes: 35 21.0%
  • Hand it in

Votes: 132 79.0%

• Total voters

Outside Gatwick North Terminal arrivals yesterday.

Inside was £850 in Sterling and 4000 of Saudi money, various cards with Arabic words.

What would you have done.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Inside was £850 in Sterling and 4000 of Saudi money, various cards with Arabic words.

I would hand it in to the authorities to allow the owner to claim it.

As the owner is Saudi I thought I'd check what the Koran says about lost property

The third type: all other kinds of wealth that are not covered by the first two types, such as money and vessels. All of these must be kept as a trust and announcements should be made in the places where people gather.

From

https://islamqa.info/en/5049

If it was animals that could protect themselves, you can keep them

The second scenario: (animals) that are unlikely to be harmed by small predators, either because of their size, such as camels, horses, cattle and mules, or because they can fly, like birds, or because they move swiftly, like gazelles, or because they can defend themselves with their fangs, like leopards. This is the category which it is haraam to keep. These things do not become the property of the finder after he announces it for a year, because when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked about a lost camel, he said: “What has it got to do with you? It has its water, it can walk to find water and it can eat trees until its owner finds it.” (Agreed upon). ‘Umar said, “Whoever takes a lost animal is misguided” i.e., he is a sinner. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) ruled in this hadeeth that the lost animal should not be taken, it should be left to find its own water and to eat from the trees until its owner comes across it.

This also applies to large implements, such as big pans, wood, iron and anything that can be left alone without getting damaged. Such things can hardly be lost and cannot move from where they are, so it is haraam to take them just as it is haraam to take lost large animals, and in fact it may be more haraam to do so.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The very fact that you actually KNOW how much cash was in it, rather than 'a load of cash', means that you were seriously tempted, whatever your final call.

Personally, because a) I'm pretty straight, and b) you were 100% certainly on CCTV... I'd have handed it in, but would first have left a note inside it with my name and address, explaining that I had found it (in the probably vain hope of receiving some token of thanks.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Frankly I'd keep it, if it was a British persons with less money in it then I'd hand it in but if it's some rich oil baron, shucks to them

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I would not hand it in as such (even though I voted for that) as I would not trust anyone at Gatwick.

I would hope there would be some identification within said wallet and I would do everything to get it back to them.

The very fact that you actually KNOW how much cash was in it, rather than 'a load of cash', means that you were seriously tempted, whatever your final call.

Personally, because a) I'm pretty straight, and b) you were 100% certainly on CCTV... I'd have handed it in, but would first have left a note inside it with my name and address, explaining that I had found it (in the probably vain hope of receiving some token of thanks.

Nope, looked in to see if the owners details were in but as I don't read Arabic that was a non starter, police counted it when I handed it in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would not hand it in as such (even though I voted for that) as I would not trust anyone at Gatwick.

I would hope there would be some identification within said wallet and I would do everything to get it back to them.

My European man-purse was lost at Gatwick and handed in.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
would like to think would keep it but fairly certain would do the good deed of handing in .

Then kick self as when does this ever happen in return and Karma is a load of bollocks

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Nope, looked in to see if the owners details were in but as I don't read Arabic that was a non starter, police counted it when I handed it in.

Surely some good Karma coming your way pretty soon buddy.

How about you just accept 3 points for the Albion against Newcastle... do us all a favour ;-)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Have the money, give the cards back

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here