Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] New Amazon Fire HD 10

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Somewhat cheaper than the iPad, Amazon have just announced the new version of their Fire HD 10 tablet. Faster, more storage (plus SD slot) and better battery life for £150, which is cheaper than the last version:

1. Full HD display—Brilliant 10.1” widescreen 1080p display (1920 x 1200) with over 2 million pixels (224 ppi) for bright, vivid image quality.
  2. Faster performance—Quad-core processor with up to 1.8 GHz and 2GB of RAM—2x the RAM and 30% faster than the previous generation Fire HD 10—delivering quick app launches, smooth videos and games, and great overall performance.
  3. More storage—The most storage available on a Fire tablet with options for 32GB or 64GB, and support for up to 256GB of expandable storage via microSD. Plus, enjoy free unlimited cloud storage for all Amazon content and photos taken with Fire tablets.
  4. Longer battery life—Up to 10 hours of mixed use battery life, giving you the flexibility to go wherever the day takes you.
  5. Alexa hands-free—Just ask Alexa to play a song, pause a movie, read audiobooks, answer questions, show your calendar, control your smart home, and more on your Fire tablet.
  6. Dolby Atmos Audio—Custom-tuned, dual stereo speakers for immersive and high-quality sound.
  7. Dual-band Wi-Fi—Seamlessly stream your favourite videos with dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi support.
  8. Front- and rear-facing cameras—Video chat with friends and family with the front-facing camera, take and share photos, and save them for later with free, unlimited cloud storage for all photos taken on Fire devices.
Affiliated (you wouldn't expect anything else) link: http://amzn.to/2f8lxEE

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
This one must of split you Bozza? Apple fanboy but got to get the affiliate link in there :thumbsup:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Still limited to the Amazon store rather than the Google store - thus missing out on many applications, I guess?

Edit - just checked. They say 150000 when there are millions on the Play store so - yes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't get the point of the Fire instead of having an Android? Could someone explain the point of it?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I don't get the point of the Fire instead of having an Android? Could someone explain the point of it?
Subsidised hardware. You get it cheaper because it constantly throws you at Amazon. Fine if you use Prime and watch their stuff/read their books. Not great if you want a standard Android tablet with access to all of the apps. Ideal for older people I guess. Or Gary Barlow, Jimmy Carr et al who support Amazon's tax policy more than most.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Fire tablets are GREAT for kids as the parental controls are really good (or were when I had one for our kids). Could set apps they can use and hours it would work.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Are there any decent Android tablets that don't require you to be joined at the hip with Amazon or Google? My Hudl is reaching the end of its life, and I just want something handy for web browsing and emails via wi-fi - no movies, no games, no bloatware, no obscure apps, no cameras, no talking assistants, no massive storage. But with a decent screen, 10 inch or so, capable of playing the odd video. Anything beyond that, I'll use my desktop. Yes, I am old.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Subsidised hardware. You get it cheaper because it constantly throws you at Amazon. Fine if you use Prime and watch their stuff/read their books. Not great if you want a standard Android tablet with access to all of the apps. Ideal for older people I guess. Or Gary Barlow, Jimmy Carr et al who support Amazon's tax policy more than most.

I *think* you can download Google Play (through a slightly convoluted process) and your Fire can then run most stuff on there? I need to do this for my youngest son actually.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Are there any decent Android tablets that don't require you to be joined at the hip with Amazon or Google? My Hudl is reaching the end of its life, and I just want something handy for web browsing and emails via wi-fi - no movies, no games, no bloatware, no obscure apps, no cameras, no talking assistants, no massive storage. But with a decent screen, 10 inch or so, capable of playing the odd video. Anything beyond that, I'll use my desktop. Yes, I am old.

Android = Google. But no, most android tablets will do the stuff you want without annoying you too much. There will be other apps, and I'd be amazed if you can find one without a camera, but they wouldn't prevent you from doing what you need to do.

I've never seen a talking assistant but I think that was an Amazon thing.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Android = Google. But no, most android tablets will do the stuff you want without annoying you too much. There will be other apps, and I'd be amazed if you can find one without a camera, but they wouldn't prevent you from doing what you need to do.

I've never seen a talking assistant but I think that was an Amazon thing.

Thanks. Yeah, I realise they all come with cameras, but cameras are just a very low priority budget-wise as they wouldn't be used. Most of my requirements are some up in your comment about not annoying me too much, ie. not coming pre-loaded with mandatory apps that I'll never use, but which it's forever updating. I'm already tied to Google via my phone for contacts and calendar, just want to avoid being seen as a sales opportunity, which is probably more an Amazon thing.

By talking assistant, I'm thinking of Siri, Cortana and (as per Bozza's post) Alexa. They would soon be silenced :rant::wrong:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2016 which is okay.
Still se my my Amazon Firefox HD 8.9, which has better screen resolution than the above, and is more easier to use, but android has better options for apps etc......

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've got a Huawei Mediapad M3 8 inch, but imported the version that take a SIM.

It's a lovely thing.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Still limited to the Amazon store rather than the Google store - thus missing out on many applications, I guess?

Edit - just checked. They say 150000 when there are millions on the Play store so - yes.

I *think* you can download Google Play (through a slightly convoluted process) and your Fire can then run most stuff on there? I need to do this for my youngest son actually.

I now have a new Fire HD 10, and it's a lovely bit of kit.

But, apps... I've previously shunned them in favour of using the web browser, but even I'm amazed how few apps there are in the Amazon store.

Yes, I've found instructions for installing from Google Play, but baulked at the line "if it doesn't work out, you can just do a factory reset".

So, has anyone done it, and did you have any problems?

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I used to have a Fire HD, but got so frustrated with the lack of apps and not being able to do what I wanted with it. I now use a Samsung Tab A (2016) and am much happier. My wife has a Lenovo at half the price of a Samsung and is chuffed to bits with it.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Since we're talking tablets, I'm considering making my first foray into the market. One requirement I have is to stream or download and run movies and TV shows via KODI and Showmax to my TV. I have WiFi butthe TV is not WiFi enabled. I want an Android tablet (I have a Huawei phone). Is there a tablet that will connect to the TV via an HDMI cable or is there a WiFi adaptor I can get for the TV?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Since we're talking tablets, I'm considering making my first foray into the market. One requirement I have is to stream or download and run movies and TV shows via KODI and Showmax to my TV. I have WiFi butthe TV is not WiFi enabled. I want an Android tablet (I have a Huawei phone). Is there a tablet that will connect to the TV via an HDMI cable or is there a WiFi adaptor I can get for the TV?
Buy a Google Chromecast. the 1080p one is only 30 quid. Works with most android devices.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here