Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Pet insurance recommendations

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Any recommendations for pet insurance before I start trawling t'internets?

I'm not particularly interested in "XXX were the cheapest we could find" unless you've actually had to go through some sort of claim and they were decent, didn't quibble and paid out.

Having had a cat who got stupidly ill but lived on for ages, I'm aware how expensive it can become if the insurer stops paying out for treatment and/or drugs at a certain level.

It's for a Labrador should that make any difference.

Thanks in advance and all that jazz.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We use Animal Friends insurance.. we've used Petplan in the past, but their cover wasn't as good.

Ours requirements are quite specific as we have greyhounds and they are expensive to repair compared to other dogs. (spindly legs, thin skin)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We use Animal Friends insurance.. we've used Petplan in the past, but their cover wasn't as good.

Ours requirements are quite specific as we have greyhounds and they are expensive to repair compared to other dogs. (spindly legs, thin skin)

I'm pretty sure it was Petplan who left us having to buy hundreds of pounds (sterling, not weight) of insulin a month for the cat.

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
We use Tesco for our dog - have made one claim which all went through very easily with no problems.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Any recommendations for pet insurance before I start trawling t'internets?

I'm not particularly interested in "XXX were the cheapest we could find" unless you've actually had to go through some sort of claim and they were decent, didn't quibble and paid out.

Having had a cat who got stupidly ill but lived on for ages, I'm aware how expensive it can become if the insurer stops paying out for treatment and/or drugs at a certain level.

It's for a Labrador should that make any difference.

Thanks in advance and all that jazz.
I'm literally looking at the moment, for my 8 week old German Shepherd. The best value I've found so far and struggling to beat is through www.lifetimepetcover.co.uk

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Direct Line pet insurance. Not sure how price compares but any claims we've had to make have been easy and stress free.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
My cat is insured with Tescos. Haven't had to claim, so I can't comment on that, but the price seemed reasonable, and I got more cashback from Quidco than the insurance cost in the first place.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We are with Tesco for the dog. Only claim we attempted was when she had to have her teeth scrapped a year or so ago (needed a GA and overnight stay) but we had seen from the documentation that it probably wasn't covered so it was no surprise they didn't pay out.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I found boughtbymany was very comprehensive and flexible and, while not the cheapest, seemed reasonable. Not had to claim anything yet though.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
I've heard very bad things about Animal Friends, but perhaps they've changed now.

We've always insured our greyhounds with MoreThan and I can't fault them. It's expensive, but you get £12,000 of cover per year on the Premier plan. Also, standard dental treatment is covered, which is very unusual. They have always paid out without any quibbles. In fact, I just received a cheque today, reimbursing me for emergency treatment when our dog was bitten a few weeks ago.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
We use Tesco for our cats one which has to b put down no arguments with outstanding bill and a nice condolence card as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Tesco have been fine for us but don't include dental - cats seem to need dental work as they get older so should have covered. Also, don't change as they won't cover pre-existing conditions so once you have claimed, you are stuck with who you went with.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Another vote for directline here. Our 8 year old Labradoodle is insured with them, 2 claims and both handled quickly. couldnt comment on if they are good value or not though!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Always used Pet Protect - they were very quick paying out and never quibbled. Premiums did get quite high as my dog got older though. They were handy for me as based in Redhill.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
And another vote for direct line. Possibly not the cheapest, but our Lab has had a variety of procedures at the vets and they've havent quibbled once or delayed proceedings at all.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
My cat was insured for 10 years with tesco @£7 a month. I cancelled a couple of years back. Anything happens & its euthanasia

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here