Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryanair.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Well just how does such a major "in your face trading airline" get into this mess ? 2,000 flights cancelled. :facepalm:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
First thing I thought when I heard this news was Gerald Ratner. I notice this morning that Martin Lewis has branded it a 'Ratner' moment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The other thing to come out of this is that Norwegian air have steadily recruited 140 Ryan Air pilots over the past 6 months. A friend who works in the industry told me some time ago they are a real threat at the moment. Seems Norwegian are growing into quite a big airline.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I really don't understand why people are feeling so outraged. Ryan Air epitomise 'if it's too good to be true...' They continually pull stunts like this. But people, like Magpies, are drawn to the cheapness and in that moment of booking seem to forgive the decades of customer service issues they've had.

I've NEVER flown with Ryan Air and never will. Because of this. Smug as it sounds. But you gets what you pay for and I find flying stressful enough without contending with airlines with a track record of this sort of thing. Millions of others seem happy to turn a blind eye to so, frankly, suck it up when the s hit hits the fan! You've had years of warnings.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Never flown with Ryanair however feedback from others has never been good, I believe Easyjet are starting an alliance with a transatlantic carrier shortly where they will sell their flights as well as the European operation

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I really don't understand why people are feeling so outraged. Ryan Air epitomise 'if it's too good to be true...' They continually pull stunts like this. But people, like Magpies, are drawn to the cheapness and in that moment of booking seem to forgive the decades of customer service issues they've had.

I've NEVER flown with Ryan Air and never will. Because of this. Smug as it sounds. But you gets what you pay for and I find flying stressful enough without contending with airlines with a track record of this sort of thing. Millions of others seem happy to turn a blind eye to so, frankly, suck it up when the s hit hits the fan! You've had years of warnings.

I can't recall if I ever have or not (I don't believe so, but couldn't be sure), but Ryanair's reach is so broad now that many people won't have much choice but to fly Ryanair on some routes.

The plucky little Irish loudmouth is making moves to buy Alitalia - the national flag carrier of Italy. I can't help but have begrudging respect for the success story they represent, largely driven by O'Leary.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Never flown with Ryanair however feedback from others has never been good, I believe Easyjet are starting an alliance with a transatlantic carrier shortly where they will sell their flights as well as the European operation

The EasyJet rumours are quite interesting if true. They have filed for an Austrian flying certificate, they are in discussions to pick up Air Berlin routes with Lufthansa, and the alliance you mention. They have really upped their game over the past years and are now a serious airline in my mind. They also sell Brewdog Punk IPA....what's not to like?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've frown to Dublin with them three times without issue. Planes were clean and punctual if somewhat spartan. One of the flights cost me £5 return. FIVE POUNDS !

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I'm really intrigued by this Ryanair reputation for cheapness. For years I worked for a couple of companies whose policies were that any flights made by staff members HAD to be the cheapest. As someone who (or whose staff) made a dozen or so trips every year, I dutifully searched for the cheapest flights, usually to a destination served by Ryanair. On not one single occasion was Ryanair the cheapest.

Maybe Ryanair's not so good at commercial destinations but, in about 12 to 15 searches for a holiday flight, Ryanair's not been the cheapest either.

I hear stories about people buying Ryanair flights for ten bob or something, but in perhaps 50 or 60 searches, I've never seen a cheap flight. Are there just a handful of cheap flights every year or have I been spectacularly unlucky?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Purely on the basis that the man that owns Ryanair comes across as a nasty piece of work, I have never used them. Price is not everything, service is also as important.

Used easyJet loads of times, never had a problem.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The EasyJet rumours are quite interesting if true. They have filed for an Austrian flying certificate, they are in discussions to pick up Air Berlin routes with Lufthansa, and the alliance you mention. They have really upped their game over the past years and are now a serious airline in my mind. They also sell Brewdog Punk IPA....what's not to like?

Since they bought in Carolyn McCall Easyjet has moved on to being a very slick, well run company that has really improved beyond belief.

Shows how much Stelios was holding the company back, always thought he treated the company like a hobby bearing in mind his Shipping Magnate Dad provided the capital to start it.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Since they bought in Carolyn McCall Easyjet has vastly improved to being a very slick, well run company that has really improved beyond belief.

Shows how much Stelios was holding the company back, always thought he treated the company like a hobby bearing in mind his Shipping Magnate Dad provided the capital to start it.

Totally agree.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Norwegian are one of the best out there at the moment. Their check in system is so smooth and saves a good amount of time

What's special about their check in?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The other good thing about Ryanair is they are not run out of Gatwick Airport.

Have used Norwegian Airways once, good outfit as well

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I have used Ryanair a lot over the last 7 years or so and never had any problems. The booking system was like playing an online game and dodging extra charges but I always made it to the boarding pass level and the inflexibility on baggage etc, lateness was OK if you played by their rules. This latest fiasco will certainly make me think twice about using them and they will need to have an awesome record for a few months after this is over to get me back on a regular basis. Looking at the list of flights cancelled today, they include ones I use a lot like Porto and Madrid. I suspect that some of the problems may not be of a short term nature though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here