Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chronic Fatigue / ME

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
Hi guys,
My 30 year old wife has been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue following an operation she had in March. She's homebound having led a very active and fulfilling life. We have tried CBT, nutrition, graded exercise and meditation.
Has anyone else had any experience of this illness? We are finding it tough to find answers and treatments.
I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks
Fkalinx

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Hi guys,
My 30 year old wife has been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue following an operation she had in March. She's homebound having led a very active and fulfilling life. We have tried CBT, nutrition, graded exercise and meditation.
Has anyone else had any experience of this illness? We are finding it tough to find answers and treatments.
I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks
Fkalinx

Hi. One of my colleagues had this many years ago. I wish your wife the best and hopefully NSC offers some support and hopefully great insight

Bingo

Jul 27, 2014
Seaford
I was diagnosed with ME in 2005 after not picking up from a virus. Pretty much tried everything your wife tried without any success too.
Several years later I stumbled across the 'Perrin Technique' which works on the theory that it is caused by a kind of malfunction to the lymphatic system.
Basically a practitioner will gently massage the lymph to run correctly again thus releasing the toxins from the body. You are also encouraged to repeat this at home.
It is no quick fix and I did feel worse before I felt better.
I now work again and managed to get myself a far less stressful job with less hours so am able to rest when I need to.
Good luck
http://www.theperrinclinic.com/

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
I was diagnosed with ME in 2005 after not picking up from a virus. Pretty much tried everything your wife tried without any success too.
Several years later I stumbled across the 'Perrin Technique' which works on the theory that it is caused by a kind of malfunction to the lymphatic system.
Basically a practitioner will gently massage the lymph to run correctly again thus releasing the toxins from the body. You are also encouraged to repeat this at home.
I now work again and managed to get myself a far less stressful job with less hours so am able to rest when I need to.
Good luck

Thanks Bingo. I will check it out.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My son's best friend from early childhood, who was extremely active, sporty etc, went down with ME when he was about 13. His parents tried everything for him, but he really struggled, the next three or four years were a bit of a write off.

At the end of their tether, they finally went for a treatment called the 'Lightning Process' - expecting nothing, as it all seemed a bit new age to them.

The results were extraordinary. Within a few months he was pretty much back to normal. He is now 20 and at university studying Sports Journalism. He is back as part of the group, but drinks less than the rest of them...but you would never guess how much he'd gone through if you didn't know.

They can't recommend this treatment highly enough.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Good luck
Is this a similar scenario to the heavy duty blanket which is apparently very helpful towards stress and anxiety ?
A few months ago I was literally falling asleep only hours after waking up and it was persistent throughout the days.This lasted for a couple of months....Had tests done and nothing found so been exercising well and eating well and so far it's been good.

Bloody weird

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Yes, I have.

I had an eye operation to rebuild an orbital ring in my eye in 2008 and then ACL reconstructive surgery in 2009, this has had serious implications on myself. There is a lot of mixed research on it, ranging from psychological to a problem with the immune system. This by part, the biggest problem with CFS/ME - the symptoms mimic a lot of other illnesses which makes diagnosis even harder. My theory is backed by papers which argue that surgery could weaken the immune system, which then is unable to recover. I often feel malaise without any explanation as to why, temperature can be normal etc etc.

There is also a lot of pseudo-scientific crap on the internet though, so be sure if you're researching it to read peer-reviewed stuff. CFS/ME is taken more seriously in the U.S, there is a lot of good papers and there is a recent paper that I will send you if you fancy reading investigations in to it. It may not provide answers, but the best thing IMO is to understand it and keep track of any potential developments in treatment.

Your wife maybe offered CBT, don't, condescending bollocks - not relevant for CFS/ME

edit: http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.c...for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/20201439.article

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Lived with it for 25 years,and the only thing that seems to help for me when it strikes is a Feroglobin iron supplement with vitamin b12.It was recommended to my by a Boots pharmacist as an aid to fatigue.

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
Yes, I have.

I had an eye operation to rebuild an orbital ring in my eye in 2008 and then ACL reconstructive surgery in 2009, this has had serious implications on myself. There is a lot of mixed research on it, ranging from psychological to a problem with the immune system. This by part, the biggest problem with CFS/ME - the symptoms mimic a lot of other illnesses which makes diagnosis even harder. My theory is backed by papers which argue that surgery could weaken the immune system, which then is unable to recover. I often feel malaise without any explanation as to why, temperature can be normal etc etc.

There is also a lot of pseudo-scientific crap on the internet though, so be sure if you're researching it to read peer-reviewed stuff. CFS/ME is taken more seriously in the U.S, there is a lot of good papers and there is a recent paper that I will send you if you fancy reading investigations in to it. It may not provide answers, but the best thing IMO is to understand it and keep track of any potential developments in treatment.

Your wife maybe offered CBT, don't, condescending bollocks - not relevant for CFS/ME

edit: http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.c...for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/20201439.article

Brilliant, thanks GreersElbow. Any further info or advice, please DM.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have an auto immune disease, which includes thyroid problems & chronic fatigue. Sometimes it's manageable but when I have a flare up, I can't do much at all.
Mine is partially genetic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here