Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Bamber's club

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Greetings one and all,

Looking for the answer to an Albion-related question.

Back in the seventies, our former chairman Mike Bamber ran a club/restaurant either in or around Ringmer. Can anyone remember what it was called (and I need the exact wording if possible, as it's for a piece I'm working on for a forthcoming edition of the programme)?

Can't for the life of me remember and bugger all exists on the web. My eternal gratitude to anyone who can shed some light on the subject.

Cheers,
Spencer Vignes

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Not really, but nice info all the same should I need some background 'colour'!

I have absolutely no idea what it was called, so can't ratify The Green Man. A couple of people have said the name was 'The Ringmer', but I get the feeling they're getting it confused with the place rather than the club.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Not really, but nice info all the same should I need some background 'colour'!

I have absolutely no idea what it was called, so can't ratify The Green Man. A couple of people have said the name was 'The Ringmer', but I get the feeling they're getting it confused with the place rather than the club.

I'm sure they used to advertise in the programme so [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION] is your man

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Greetings one and all,

Looking for the answer to an Albion-related question.

Back in the seventies, our former chairman Mike Bamber ran a club/restaurant either in or around Ringmer. Can anyone remember what it was called (and I need the exact wording if possible, as it's for a piece I'm working on for a forthcoming edition of the programme)?

Can't for the life of me remember and bugger all exists on the web. My eternal gratitude to anyone who can shed some light on the subject.

Cheers,
Spencer Vignes

No, it wasn't the Green Man - the Green Man is about half a mile further along the road towards The Broyle. It was the Ringmer Inn, which sadly was demolished a few years back to make way for new houses.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Hiney and I exchanged emails about this a couple of weeks ago and he wasn't sure either.

Jem, I remember reading your piece. He had a hard-rap from many fans, did Bamber, unfairly in my opinion. He was the man who dared to dream, bringing Brian Clough and Peter Taylor to the Goldstone as a real statement of intent in 1973. Until that point BHA had been nothing but a footballing backwater. Life would never be quite the same again - I'm not saying we're a Man United or Liverpool, but from the moment Bamber took over we've never been a Bury or a Hartlepool either (which is exactly what we were back then). The post FA Cup 'Where's the money gone?' issue soured things, but there's an undeniable thread linking Bamber to where we are today. After all, if it hadn't been for all the interest drummed up by the teams of 1975 to 1983, then you could argue the fanbase wouldn't have been around to save the club in the nineties laying the foundations for today. And, lest we forget, Harry Bloom was Bamber's right hand man throughout most of that time as Albion's vice-chairman.

Deano, you absolutely sure about the Ringmer Inn?

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Hiney and I exchanged emails about this a couple of weeks ago and he wasn't sure either.

Jem, I remember reading your piece. He had a bum-rap from many fans, did Bamber, unfairly in my opinion. He was the man who dared to dream, bringing Brian Clough and Peter Taylor to the Goldstone as a real statement of intent in 1973. Until that point BHA had been nothing but a footballing backwater. Life would never be quite the same again - I'm not saying we're a Man United or Liverpool, but from the moment Bamber took over we've never been a Bury or a Hartlepool either (which is exactly what we were back then). The post FA Cup 'Where's the money gone?' issue soured things, but there's an undeniable thread linking Bamber to where we are today. After all, if it hadn't been for all the interest drummed up by the teams of 1975 to 1983, then you could argue the fanbase wouldn't have been around to save the club in the nineties laying the foundations for today. And, lest we forget, Harry Bloom was Bamber's right hand man throughout most of that time as Albion's vice-chairman.

Deano, you absolutely sure about the Ringmer Inn?

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Looking at the Albion v Bournemouth programme for 26 March 1975, there is an advert for Ringmer Restaurant and it is referred to as Albion's favourite nightspot.

Last edited:

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
1505754357535395114463.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here