Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paddy Power apologise after quoting a dead footballer for the Birmingham job

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
A bookmaker has given odds on a dead footballer replacing sacked Birmingham City manager Harry Redknapp.

Paddy Power offered 66/1 on ex-Aston Villa and England defender Ugo Ehiogu taking over - a move punters have blasted as "sick".

The player died in April at the age of 44 following a cardiac arrest.

Paddy Power - which also offered odds of 2,500/1 on Brummie rocker Ozzy Osbourne replacing Redknapp - has apologised for a "genuine error".

more... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41305915

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
"This was a genuine error, a trader re-used an old market as a template for this one, and didn't notice that Mr Ehiogu was included," it (Paddy Power) said.

Not buying it myself. With the inclusion of the likes of Ozzy Osbourne I think someone was indulging in a rather pathetic attempt at humour. :nono:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That is very distasteful.

They always like to be a bit "edgy" with their ads. Its obviously been deliberate, and its worked for them. No such thing as bad publicity, as they say.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I buy this as being an error, they're edgy and push the line but I don't think they'd do something so pointlessly tasteless. Unfortunately for them due to their track record nobody will buy it as this topic shows.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When has Ugo Ehiogu EVER been in an "old market" to become a manager ? He was a coaching kids at Spurs, so was hardly on the radar for any managerial roles. Utter BS from Paddy Power. That apology is a mealy-mouthed insult to his family, I hope they tell them to poke it.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I buy this as being an error, they're edgy and push the line but I don't think they'd do something so pointlessly tasteless. Unfortunately for them due to their track record nobody will buy it as this topic shows.

I am hoping they do their fan Denial on Palace fans this afternoon though, keep an eye on their twitter or facebook account for it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
When has Ugo Ehiogu EVER been in an "old market" to become a manager ? He was a coaching kids at Spurs, so was hardly on the radar for any managerial roles. Utter BS from Paddy Power. That apology is a mealy-mouthed insult to his family, I hope they tell them to poke it.

you have seen some of the daft options the online betting put for managers? all sorts of daft names make the list.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
you have seen some of the daft options the online betting put for managers? all sorts of daft names make the list.

Sure, but Ugo Ehiogu was never one of those "daft names" to put up on managerial odds either, not like Ozzy Osborne or Richard Madeley. It was clearly done as a tasteless joke, but they're never going to come clean on that are they. Far easier to concoct this cock-and-bull story about it being an old template.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bit of a co-incidence that he was a Villa player and this was a job for their rivals wasn't it.... poor taste

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I 100% believe that is an honest mistake. That's not someone trying to be 'edgy'.

Find it odd that people seem to think someone representing their company would deliberately do that. This isn't some silly twitter thing posted by a 16 year old. This is a massive company, whether they are 'edgy' or not.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I 100% believe that is an honest mistake. That's not someone trying to be 'edgy'.

Find it odd that people seem to think someone representing their company would deliberately do that. This isn't some silly twitter thing posted by a 16 year old. This is a massive company, whether they are 'edgy' or not.

I fully believe it was someone trying to be edgy and failing.

A few years ago I had a gig for a sports betting company running their social media. There were a few of us, working in shifts, firing off tweets and FB posts to encourage debate (and of course, betting). After a few months I was released, as the company wanted to bring in more economically viable (read young, inexperienced but cheap) staff. They certainly saved money but I'm sure they have been a few lapses in tastes along the way.

I, of course, was thoroughly professional ... even when I was on duty when Brighton were playing :smile:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Whilst PP will do anything for a bit of publicity the explanation checks out. Those of us that follow racing have seen markets including dead horses and even ones that don't exist (An Aussie firm put up a non existent horse to prove bet 365 were robbing thier prices). Still, good for a Twitter #disgrace job.

https://www.punters.com.au/news/sportsbet-traders-stitch-up-bet365_158097/

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I am hoping they do their fan Denial on Palace fans this afternoon though, keep an eye on their twitter or facebook account for it.
Those things are hilarious!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Yeah because massive companies never take the piss do they [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

If you believe that was a mistake, look at this. Another Paddy Power's advert has been banned for racism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41330470

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
If you believe that was a mistake, look at this. Another Paddy Power's advert has been banned for racism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41330470

Clever advert. I don't see that as racism. Once again people like to be offended. Normally the non black people themselves. If anything it is racist towards white people as the advert implies black people are better.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here